Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5 dollar coin in PCGS plastic.

I wonder what the slab will sell for? ebay

edit spelling
I'm one of the low IQ people

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    The real question is...is THAT a VG? Looks G from here.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Hey I bid on some of those for my son's type set!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Larry must be having some fun.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I don't know why but i really like the looks of that coin. My guess is it will go for around $15.00
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot, that would be an UPGRADE for me! image

peacockcoins

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braddick, that is one of the key halves you have there. Looks about like the one I have (without the plastic, of course)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I guess it's because I have raw coins in better grades. but I do need barbers for my registry set.

my local dealer
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    good lord, ms-64 jeffersons slabed as ms-66, & now a g-4 barber with NOT sign of "liberty" slabed as vg-8?

someone PLEASE explain again why we need slabing svc's.

K S
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>someone PLEASE explain again why we need slabing svc's. >>

Because, Karl, if we didn't have slabbing services there would be nothing for you to rant about and your posts would not be nearly as entertaining. Bwuahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes people like to make grading sets...I have a set of 1882-s morgans...I would pay a lot for a low grade one in a pcgs holder....much more than the coin is worth...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That ebay Barber probably came from a submission where the person needed 1 more coin to make the 5 coin min for $9 grading where you submit it to PCGS and they grade it and send it to TeleTrade.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because, Karl, if we didn't have slabbing services there would be nothing for you to rant about and your posts would not be nearly as entertaining. Bwuahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! >>

oh, YEAAAAaaaahhh.

thanks! image

K S
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    The coin was probably submitted by someone who really does not know how to grade coins. To that person, a VG coin looks the same as an EF coin, or an AU-55 coin looks like an MS-64 coin. They just can't do it. Never could, never will. For these types of people, I think that slabbing of coins is a good idea.

Oh, btw, this is a $2.75 coin, not a $5 coin. I wish that I could sell my scrap silver halves for $5 each!!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This coin will easily sell for $20, if not more, as a registry set filler.

BTW NumisEd, please tell me where I can buy common date G-6 Barber halves for $2.75 a piece. I'm trying to find them for three kids working on type sets, all I can find in the $2.75 price rang are damaged AG-3s.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>please tell me where I can buy common date G-6 Barber halves for $2.75 a piece >>

nearly ever shop has a bargan box with coins under 5.00. check them out

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>The coin was probably submitted by someone who really does not know how to grade coins. To that person, a VG coin looks the same as an EF coin, or an AU-55 coin looks like an MS-64 coin. They just can't do it. Never could, never will. For these types of people, I think that slabbing of coins is a good idea.

Oh, btw, this is a $2.75 coin, not a $5 coin. I wish that I could sell my scrap silver halves for $5 each!! >>

Full Rim obverse AND reverse Barbers are easily worth $5.- whether you want to call it a GD04 or a VG08.
    But- your point is not lost! Although it's difficult to believe someone savy enough to fill out a PCGS grading form isn't aware of the difference between AU55 and VG08!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Numised:

Dabikahuna (the seller) is a member of these boards here and does know how to grade. He is working on a few registry sets and sells coins on ebay. I have bought from him and was always pleased.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "nearly ever shop has a bargan box with coins under 5.00. check them out"

I have, no G-6 Barber halves in them.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin was probably submitted by someone who really does not know how to grade coins. To that person, a VG coin looks the same as an EF coin, or an AU-55 coin looks like an MS-64 coin. They just can't do it. Never could, never will. For these types of people, I think that slabbing of coins is a good idea. >>

"These" types of people shouldn't be buying coins at all. I mean, does a collector who knows what they are doing "really" need the slab? A question to ponder....

jom
  • Options

<< <i>Numised:

Dabikahuna (the seller) is a member of these boards here and does know how to grade. He is working on a few registry sets and sells coins on ebay. I have bought from him and was always pleased.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron, to be fair, it probably wasn't Dabikahuna who made this coin...

peacockcoins

• Options
    I didn't say he made the coin, but was standing up for his grading abilities in general, before people start to bash on the "ebay" seller.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

What's your point? I never said that he didn't know how to grade. Also, what does a VG coin in a PCGS slab have to do with registry sets? I admit that I have little to no knowledge of registry sets. When I first heard of the concept, I immediately said "wow, what a brilliant marketing strategy". What little that I know is that it is a way for people entranced by plastic to condemn even more of their coins to plastic tombs. The coin in the auction is a good example: spend $30 to shroud an incredibly common coin in a petroleum-based, man-made material known as.............plastic.

Is that $2.75 coin now worth $32.75? Apparently so, by the looks of DaBigTuna's auction. Again, what does a VG piece of bullion in a PCGS holder have to do with a registry set?
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    i can beat that. i've got a 1957 AU58 Lincoln in an ANACS slab. very brown and very blaaaa. if you got this sucker in change it would go in the jar.

how did it get in a slab? - have to ask MadMarty.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    NumisEd! You scared me! $32.50?! :::Whew:: I just check, it's still at $9.50.

You almost freaked me out there. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    Here's another ridiculous example of slabbing pocket change and/or bullion items:

Pocket Change on eBay
  • Options
    Uh, oh.

Cameron? image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thanks Numised. I slabbed it a few years ago when I wasn't the best grader. I am selling it. Don't bid. I slab alot of pocket change in low grade and sell them to registry collectors (like braddick).

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'll say right here. I have several <$30 coins slabbed. VG dime slabbed, VG half dime. VG 20 center, '89 nickel, '99 state quarter, and others. All but one I slabbed myself.
  • Options
    I am logging off and taking a little break from the boards before eveyonr starts bashing each other. I don't know numised and he dosen't know me. We shouldn't bash each others collting habits or what we slab.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Cameron's my primary source.

He's good at finding this stuff.
    (I'd buy that Franklin, but unfortunutely it would be an UPgrade-)

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick, just wait.........that Barber will probably get close to $32.75.

Cameron, just giving you a hard time!image I admire YN's who have a real passion about our hobby. Maybe a little "razzing" about slabs might prevent you from going down the wrong path as you become a full time, professional numismatist. I think that you will eventually be one of America's finest coin dealers....seriously.

Some final advice: I see that you have some association with the PNG. Swim with the sharks and eventually you will become lunch. Keep your feet on the ground and stay close to the collectors, researchers and grass roots dealers.

Ed
  • Options
    Whoa, whoa!! Everybody calm down....imageimageimage

Low-quality slabbed coins are actually a novelty. Here's one that I bought for precisely that reason: link-ie.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    p.s. -- as y'all can see, I bought that g-06 SLQ way back in Jan of '01 for twenty bucks. The PCGS price guide still has it at eighteen, today. I am still in the red on this coin, but that's just the point -- how often do you get a chance to pick up a really low-grade slab like this?

On a related vein, Cheapslabs sells low-priced slabs. I've bought some stuff from him, like birthdate coins and such. Prices are generally good. He does not tend to have stuff like my g-06 SLQ however -- mostly high-grade commons. Anyway, Cheapslabs has always been a pleasant place to shop, for me. Freebie recommendation!
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    I have been useing cheapslabs ever sence Barddick posted a link on the old board about 3 years ago

my local dealer
  • Options
    If you want to have a grading set you might have to make a few yourself. I am trying to put together a set of Lincolns. About the only ones you can get below EF are o9svdb or 14d or 22 no d. I cannot afford 5 or 5 of those and I don't want that many. Although I did just score a 1914S in VG8 for < $10 image

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options

<< <i>I admire YN's who have a real passion about our hobby. Maybe a little "razzing" about slabs might prevent you from going down the wrong path as you become a full time, professional numismatist. I think that you will eventually be one of America's finest coin dealers....seriously. >>

Thanks. I didn't know you were razing.

<< <i>Some final advice: I see that you have some association with the PNG. Swim with the sharks and eventually you will become lunch. Keep your feet on the ground and stay close to the collectors, researchers and grass roots dealers. >>

How am I associated with the PNG? That's new to me.image I think selling a coin like that Franklin is staying close to the real collector. Heck, I even have free shipping on it and not stick someone with high shipping costs for a coin like that. I will try to stay away from the sharks.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>If you want to have a grading set you might have to make a few yourself. I am trying to put together a set of Lincolns. About the only ones you can get below EF are o9svdb or 14d or 22 no d. I cannot afford 5 or 5 of those and I don't want that many. Although I did just score a 1914S in VG8 for < $10 image DAN >>

Dan- I have found that most (certainly not all!) common date, low grade PCGS holdered coins are coins the submitter thought might be an elusive Key variety. For example, the above scanned PCGS GD06 1918-S Standing quarter. Maybe the submitter thought it was the 18/17?
    Here's an example: image

I bet the submitter thought this was the "plain" variety.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It is the duty of a PCGS dealer to take that coin off the market because it is overgraded. Where is Wondercoin when you need him?image----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file