Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stop the ride I want to get off !

BobSavBobSav Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2024 4:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok I'll get to the point. I have ridden this roller coaster too long and I want off. Been collecting all my life. I'm 75 now and have seen it all .. I saw $3.00 silver all they way through $50. My first gold was bought in the 1970's for around 175.00 oz. Since then I've bought it all and sold it all a couple of times and every time I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.
I've decided now is the time for the final farewell. I've talk to my kid's and they are not interested in anything I've collected.
I remember when coin colleting was fun and entertaining but from what I see now it's just a scramble for the big score. Cracking and resending coins over and over hoping one find a grader who's having a " bad " day you so you can land a big " score " or even better one of those fancy stickers that for some un-godly reason makes your coin better that all the rest.
I'll still lurk around I guess because old habits are hard to break but my heart is just not in it any more.
The gold and silver market manipulation has gone too far and it's trickled down to collecting also. I have a local bullion dealer here in Florida that is smelting all foreign gold coins and any US Gold and silver that is not graded.
Ok sorry for the rant.
Before I forget, I want to thank all the forum members who I've had transactions with you are all great people.

Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I saw that one coming a mile away..

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I could talk a guy like you, with your vast experiences both in numismatics and life in general, out of a decision. But, for what’s its worse. I don’t think it’s all as bad as it seems. The crackout game is highly overrated and doesn’t have nearly as many participants as I think we like to believe it does. The sticker thing, yeah man, I think it’s stupid as hell, but to each their own. If the cases at the majority of the shows I go to are any indication, there aren’t nearly as many sticker chasers as it seems either.

The bottom line is if YOU are/were happy with YOUR coins, then what the f### does it matter what others are doing anyways? I have fun all alone in my own little coin world with what I have. I could give a flying f### what anybody thinks of me and my coins. No elitist can poopoo my modest collection and hurt my feelings. I’ll never give someone that power over my mind and my emotions.

Maybe just take a step back for a little bit and see how you feel in a few months? Have a great day, sir.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with you all the way. I'm a bit older but have empathy for this process.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get it.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@pruebas said:
    Unfortunately, everything in this country is financialized now. Housing, medicine, education, entertainment, and yes, coins.

Late stage capitalism. People/companies trying to scrape every last cent out of a transaction.

Yeah, remember the 1970s when you used to pay your doctor with a live chicken...

Not the 1970s but I remember when I was a kid in the 1950s Dr. Kelly would make a house call for $5.00 and I don't think there was any such thing as medical insurance back then. Of course $5.00 was about 6 or 7 times the minimum wage of $0.75 per hour.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I don’t think I could talk a guy like you, with your vast experiences both in numismatics and life in general, out of a decision. But, for what’s its worse. I don’t think it’s all as bad as it seems. The crackout game is highly overrated and doesn’t have nearly as many participants as I think we like to believe it does. The sticker thing, yeah man, I think it’s stupid as hell, but to each their own. If the cases at the majority of the shows I go to are any indication, there aren’t nearly as many sticker chasers as it seems either.

The bottom line is if YOU are/were happy with YOUR coins, then what the f### does it matter what others are doing anyways? I have fun all alone in my own little coin world with what I have. I could give a flying f### what anybody thinks of me and my coins. No elitist can poopoo my modest collection and hurt my feelings. I’ll never give someone that power over my mind and my emotions.

Maybe just take a step back for a little bit and see how you feel in a few months? Have a great day, sir.

I never said anything about anyone's personal collection. Do what makes you happy. Hell, a guy I used to work with collected beer cans. He even went to Australia once to attend some kind of grand worldwide beer can convention back in the early 1980's. I'm just saying that the collecting landscape has changed so much that it's unrecognizable to me now. There are elements of it that just don't make any sense to me any more. Maybe what's bugging me the most is the fact that my kid's show no interest in it and told me that if I did leave it to them they would just cash it in which and I'm afraid that they will just ripped of in the process.

Past transactions with:
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    You know you're old if you read the title of this thread and thought of this:

LOVE THIS ...

@BobSav ... enjoy the ride in your avatar and liquidate at your convenience !!! GLWS !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy life …. In or out of coins. The average man has 75 Summers and Winters. A wild ride is the average man in numismatics.

HE>I

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pruebas said:
    Unfortunately, everything in this country is financialized now. Housing, medicine, education, entertainment, and yes, coins.

Late stage capitalism. People/companies trying to scrape every last cent out of a transaction.

Yeah, remember the 1970s when you used to pay your doctor with a live chicken...

Not the 1970s but I remember when I was a kid in the 1950s Dr. Kelly would make a house call for $5.00 and I don't think there was any such thing as medical insurance back then. Of course $5.00 was about 6 or 7 times the minimum wage of $0.75 per hour.

Yes. Insurance didn't become commonplace until the 1960s. But cash replaced chickens much earlier than that.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Enjoy life …. In or out of coins. The average man has 75 Summers and Winters. A wild ride is the average man in numismatics.

My 75th winter is now approaching. Does that mean I'm done ?

Past transactions with:
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:
    I saw that one coming a mile away..

I thought you were required to have 2900+ posts to get out? :D

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Using the SS actuarial life table, you have 10.62 years left, statistically, once you've made it to 75....so that gives you lots of time to enjoy your coins while selling off your hoard.

While you didn't mention it specifically, the loss of collector friends who have died or moved away or given up collecting as we grow older can also dampen one's enthusiasm for the hobby

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

@JBK said:

@BobSav said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

That depends on whether or not you're average. ;)

Average ?? Maybe maybe not but I am stubborn, that's for sure.

Past transactions with:
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I'm your age, I collect and study for fun these days.

Just a little perspective. I was collecting when gold was at the official government rate of $35 and ounce. The Director of the Mint was talking about silver reaching $1.29 an ounce when a silver dollar would be worth "melt." She was pleading with collectors not to hoard coins. I paid $45 for a Mint State $10 Liberty coin, and $75 for a St. Gaudens double eagle, which was a very high price at the time. On the other hand, a 1960 Proof set with the Small Date cent was selling for $50.

I always try to put value into perspectives ... my 1st job out of collage with an engineering degree was 9,200$ per year / my apartment 2 years later was 160$ per month ... spending 50$ on a coin had to be very well thought out investment. All I could part with were few $ for XF Indian head cents and when I bit the bullet for that 1877 1C in AU for 75$ was a big deal ...but t was fun. I do envy the younger collectors today as they have so many sources to start the venture and different ways to participate and make it their own.

OMG ... My Mother was Right about Everything!
    I wake up with a Good Attitude Every Day. Then … Idiots Happen!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:
    even better one of those fancy stickers that for some un-godly reason makes your coin better that all the rest.

Great rant but one clarification: It is actually the coin that makes the coin better than all of the rest. If it is a CAC sticker on its slab, it is put there because it is a coin that is likely better than all of the rest. But that is just semantics…………...

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 75 ( and I’m not far behind) there is a point we no longer choose to get off we’re kicked off.

edited September 20, 2024 2:25PM

@spacehayduke said:

@BobSav said:
    even better one of those fancy stickers that for some un-godly reason makes your coin better that all the rest.

Great rant but one clarification: It is actually the coin that makes the coin better than all of the rest. If it is a CAC sticker on its slab, it is put there because it is a coin that is likely better than all of the rest. But that is just semantics…………...

Sir I have to differ with you. I've seen some questionable " beans " on coins. My problem is that the " bean " somehow makes people think have something really special which in turn demands a higher price tag. I've seen coins in dealers cases that are side by side , same grade , one beaned and one not beaned and without a microscope you couldn't see any difference.
    So is the value in the coin or the " bean "..

Past transactions with:

@BobSav said:

@spacehayduke said:

@BobSav said:

Sir I have to differ with you. I've seen some questionable " beans " on coins. My problem is that the " bean " somehow makes people think have something really special which in turn demands a higher price tag. I've seen coins in dealers cases that are side by side , same grade , one beaned and one not beaned and without a microscope you couldn't see any difference.
    So is the value in the coin or the " bean "..

So maybe the coin without the bean needs to be submitted to CAC?

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:

@JBK said:

@BobSav said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

That depends on whether or not you're average. ;)

Average ?? Maybe maybe not but I am stubborn, that's for sure.

If you’re stubborn like a lot of us, hold out until the end. Don’t go out on a quit. Don’t walk off the court on a miss (Larry Bird). Have no regrets.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:

I've seen coins in dealers cases that are side by side , same grade , one beaned and one not beaned and without a microscope you couldn't see any difference.

I joined this board because I questioned the value of a CAC. I was frustrated when I asked dealers why a coin failed and the answer was usually along the lines of "Who knows."

I was fortunate to be able to submit coins to CAC before the "lockdown" and I couldn't understand why coins sent were failing. Certain board members convinced me I need to ask why coins were failing. Friends learned I had submission privileges and I also submitted on behalf of friends. They were not happy campers because their coins also were failing. I've learned a lot.

CAC can be considered a conservative grading service as opposed to a liberal grading service. The misconception of CAC is it's all about eye appeal. It's not! You make the decision about eye appeal. It's about issues that make a coin "DETAILS." Dealers have a harder time faulting CAC coins.

I'm not a life long coin collector. I collected in my youth; but, moved on to many other collectibles. As a result I built and sold collections. My suggestion is send your best coins to CAC. Keep the best ones. Sell coins you don't appreciate and focus on coins that you really like. I really enjoy my coins and posting on this board. It's amazing how it takes my mind away from the daily issues. My heirs will have an organized collection in my safe deposit box to sell if they chose to do so. And also my recommendations as to who to contact.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Heavens no. It just means you’re starting the 4th quarter of the game of life. Enjoy…. Like I already said. Unlike doubled-die.

HE>I

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭

CAC DLRC CDN are all based in Va Beach. That is a lot of initials in one place.

@DocBenjamin said:
    CAC DLRC CDN are all based in Va Beach. That is a lot of initials in one place.

For example: Er, how many financial firms are headquartered in NYC? Alot and it would make even more initials than you list above. So what is your point here?

Mostly Delaware and Sioux Falls for the banks.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Mostly Delaware and Sioux Falls for the banks.

Where they are incorporated vs where they are headquartered are two very different things.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think gold and silver has been manipulated. I do believe gold and silver prices are a reflection of our dollar crumbling before our eyes along with this horrible inflation. I am 72 years old and have seen it all too. If you’re done I completely understand.
    Have fun with the rest of your life.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Wonder if the banks maintain collections of coins. Maybe stuff abandoned in SDB's

Szell nearly left a bunch of diamonds behind.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Wonder if the banks maintain collections of coins. Maybe stuff abandoned in SDB's

Szell nearly left a bunch of diamonds behind.

Not to say that errors/mischief doesn't exist, but there is a very strict process for opening, cataloguing, and storing abandoned items in SDBs.

A high percentage of the abandoned boxes are empty/worthless. Of the remaining ones with value, the vast majority of those end up in state unclaimed property departments, usually to be auctioned off.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

Word for word those are my exact thoughts. I enjoy this forum but it does not shape my collecting.
    Live and let live.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@BobSav said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Heavens no. It just means you’re starting the 4th quarter of the game of life. Enjoy…. Like I already said. Unlike doubled-die.

Yes that is true it's the 4th quarter and the 2 minute warning is coming soon

Past transactions with:
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Nothing wrong with feeling disenchanted with certain aspects of collecting, particularly given how long you have collected. I have been serious about it for close to 20 years now and there are certainly changes I don't particularly like. For instance, I still think plus grades are mostly about marketing but the market has spoken and it is not going back. Too many coins in plus holders.

I disagree with you on CAC but that's okay. People have made something out of stickers that I don't think John Albanese necessarily intended. He started CAC to identify coins he would be comfortable making an offer for in the grade assigned by PCGS or NGC. It has morphed into something far more than that for many, and collectors like you and a number of dealers think it has grown outsized in importance. Maybe so,

As for your children not being interested, that is the norm rather than the exception. As a rule, I think you either have the collecting gene (condition/disease/malady) or not and you can't force it into someone.

You aren't soliciting advice but others have given it so I would add: stick around or at least pop in occasionally. All change is not bad but as we grow older we resist it more. Try to keep an open mind - there are a lot of sharp young people entering the field, a lot of them on this forum.

Very well stated. CAC is far too often the topic of discussion, and it seems as though they always take the brunt of the heat even when PCGS or NGC are subject to the same scrutiny. One thing people should remember is that while many great coins are stickered, theres plenty of ugly and not desirable stickered coins as well.

And regarding value, it might be wise for some to keep in mind that JA would offer right around greysheet bid for a CAC coin if he has a bid at all. He doesnt pay extra for PCGS/NGC plus grades with CAC stickers, either.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file