Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this pure acetone or how do you tell?

I got this at Home Depot or Menards a while ago but it doesn't say it's pure acetone. On the back bottom it says Max VOC 3% but don't know what it means.
I looked on Amazon for pure acetone and getting mostly nail polish remover stuff which I've tested on copper spenders but it leaves a white coating on the pennies.

Comments

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed a similar thing years ago when getting an acetone at Lowes. These appear to be 100% acetone and sometimes can find it. This one did happen to show up saying 100% acetone in the Klean Strip link below.

https://kleanstrip.com/tutorials/welcome-to-klean-strip-acetone/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• DallifeDallife Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    I noticed a similar thing years ago when getting an acetone at Lowes. These appear to be 100% acetone and sometimes can find it. This one did happen to show up saying 100% acetone in the Klean Strip link below.

https://kleanstrip.com/tutorials/welcome-to-klean-strip-acetone/

Thank you very much

• hardware store acetone varies a lot batch to batch. Order it from a chemical supply company like chemdirect if you want purity

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s the brand I’ve been using for a very long time. I believe both Home Depot and Wally world both sell it.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up that and another similar product which seems to be a mix called "Goof Off". :o

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

3% VOC would be 3% "volatile organic compounds". Those are contaminants. It's unlikely they will interact with a metal surface but as they are unknown compounds, I can't be 100% certain.

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rustoleum 333 thinner is also 100% acetone. I use it everyday at work.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get acetone from ACE hardware
    Label says Acetone and Acetone only!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s overkill and not necessary, but I like to use reagent grade acetone that you can get off of Amazon. I use so little that a small bottle lasts a very long time.

Mr_Spud

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no, not more VOC!
    I tried to track down the VOC max 3% thing. Only partially successful.

This EPA link was about the best summary I found.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/technical-overview-volatile-organic-compounds

In the link it has a table for VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) but also VVOC (very) and SVOC (semi). In this table Acetone is a VOC. But then there is more to it.

There are at least two definitions of VOC and they note indoor and outdoor but also if the VOC is reactive to the atmosphere to be an issue for ozone and such. The table noted in the link above is looking at boiling points to determine if it is VVOC, VOC or SVOC.

Then it notes the EPA:

"In the United States, emissions of VOCs to the outdoors are regulated by EPA mostly to prevent the formation of ozone, a constituent of photochemical smog."

"EPA formerly defined the regulated organic compounds in outdoor air as “Reactive Organic Gases“ (ROG). This terminology clarified its meaning as being limited to reactive chemicals. However, EPA later changed that terminology to “VOC”. Unfortunately, the use of the term “VOC” rather than ROG has created a misunderstanding when applied to indoor air quality. "

So it appears Acetone is not a VOC when viewing from outdoors and ozone. But it is a VOC and for indoors could cause problems (and why ventilation thing comes into play).

Can read the above link for much more information.

Now for the VOC max 3% - I think this keeps it under some regulation requirements. I take this mostly from finding one limit for paint thinner in NY being 3% but there may be others. Here is one link on this (paint thinner 3%) and there were others. It is a little interesting how high some aerosols are.

https://www.issa.com/articles/issa-updates-summary-of-voc-limits/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it even matter what the relatively small other ingredients are? You dip it, use a tissue and very little remains on the surfaces or you rinse in water then use the tissue. The other issue is that with some coins surface dirt, etc. is an asset not a liability. As one of the graders said on the cac forum even some pvc doesn't necessarily preclude a numerical grade.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really want PURE acetone.... reagent grade for laboratory use. But then you pay a lot more for it. The brand shown by the OP is very acceptable, as well as the others mentioned.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones I would be leery of would be the nail polish removers, and if you happen to find some acetone in plastic containers. while there are some plastics that withstand acetone..... would not trust due to possible leaching of oils, impurities, etc.

----- kj
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Does it even matter what the relatively small other ingredients are? You dip it, use a tissue and very little remains on the surfaces or you rinse in water then use the tissue. The other issue is that with some coins surface dirt, etc. is an asset not a liability. As one of the graders said on the cac forum even some pvc doesn't necessarily preclude a numerical grade.

It doesn't matter, so long as you know what they are, and you know they won't stay behind on the coin and cause long-term damage. If you don't know that for certain, then it definitely does matter. You are using acetone on your coin presumably because it's got goo on it; you don't really want to be taking the old goo off only to replace it with some kind of fresh layer of goo.

With pure acetone, you can have faith that 100% of what you put on your coin will evaporate away, not just 80% or 97%. All you need is a final rinse in acetone - definitely no water rinse, and no tissues.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file