Home U.S. Coin Forum

From a collector, some "dos and don'ts" for dealers, with an example full of don'ts

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy a lot of coins online. I look at a lot of dealer sites. I appreciate those of you who make it easy on me! Using the example below (which unfortunately is a negative example--although I certainly have nothing against this company) I'd like to point out some of the things I value. And yeah, there will be some folks who will take a contrary position - which is fine. Diversity of thought makes the forum interesting.

To skip to the chase, here are my requests:
1. Be accurate. The title below is for an 1837 "small date" bust half dime. That's not a thing. (There is a Seated small date half dime from this transition year.)
2. Big hi-res pics. Half dimes are small enough. I don't need the whole slab in your image - and I'd like the image to be BIG and sharp!
3. Orient the coin's reverse right-side up. I've said this one before (to the TPGs): I'm looking at the coin, not the holder, so please put the eagle's head up before he gets dizzy.
4. Listen to your customer base. I sent the letter (see below) on November 9, 2023, correcting their attribution and calling attention to the price. Since then, the only thing they seem to have "fixed" is to add an AI description to the coin.
5. Speaking of which, please no AI descriptions. Sigh.
6. Finally, price it fairly. The 1837 bust half dime LM-5 in AU58, per PCGS, should be about $600. The 1837 seated "small date" should be $800. So - where does the $2150 price tag originate?

Thanks for listening!

The Ad

My email from almost a year ago
Hi friends. I'm working on a complete capped bust half dime set including all die marriages/remarriages. In that effort, I look at a lot of coins online!

I've never bought from you, as your website doesn't usually have pictures. But I was grateful to see that you posted a pic on one recently, this 1837 half dime:
https://www.goldeneaglecoin.com/item/certified-bust-half-dime-1837-small-date-au58-ngc

Unfortunately, that coin is misattributed on your site (and as such, it's overpriced). Instead of the "Small 5c" variety, this is one of the very common "Large 5c" coins - specifically, LM-5, which is an R-1 marriage.

Here are examples from my registry set:
LM-4 (small 5)
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43081029

LM-5 (large 5)
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46246075

The best pickup point is the 5 itself - which is centered in a lot of whitespace on the LM-4. But other markers include the LM-5 having A2 (first A in America) repunched, or the LM-4 having E3 above R at the base.

Just wanted to let you know - I'm not in the market for that coin so this is just a courtesy note, not a negotiation.

v/r
<Bikergeek's real name>

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are incompetent folks in all businesses. Waste of time to try to help them unless they are great in most respects and might benefit from a specific suggestion. The example business here is clearly beyond help.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t renege offering a collector first shot on a rare key date coin.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golden Eagle coins is a pretty nice business. I have bought from them numerous times. Sometimes their pricing is wildly off the mark (and I actually wanna know what they’d offer for the item cause I have one once in a while). But they seem reasonable to work with and friendly.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought two things from them about a minute ago :D

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

God, please no AI descriptions. Especially one that is 12 paragraphs long!

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

I tried contacting them (Golden Eagle Coins) from their website contact form. I was interested in two coins and wanted a few pictures because they weren’t on the site. No response. Then I tried emailing them a week later. No response again.

Then a week later I talked to a girl who told me they must’ve overlooked my requests. She said the photo guy only comes in once a week. I gave her my email for the pics to be sent. 3 weeks later nothing! I called yesterday and spoke to her again and asked to speak to the manager. She said he was busy and would give him the message to call me. Nothing, again.

What better way can a business further frustrate a potential client?

Sorry, I just want to spend my money on your coins! Don’t you want my money and future business? Confounding. Grrrr!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more money you spend with a single dealer should "buy" you some loyalty. By that, I mean when something in your wheelhouse comes in that they know you are passionate about, it sure would be nice to be given "first dibs." Oftentimes, that does not happen, and it is a major turn off in the hobby for the client to experience such ambivalence

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    God, please no AI descriptions. Especially one that is 12 paragraphs long!

Hahah! I hadn't counted - but you're spot on, it's 12 full paragraphs! funny!

I see people have had mixed experiences with Golden Eagle. But like @Barbercoin I was really frustrated by the lack of response to my outreach. If I had to pick a #1 preference for a dealer - it would be to treat me like a human and respond when I speak to you.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with number 6 - pricing "fairly" is not really a thing anymore. :)

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really do like to see a full picture of both sides of the slab.
    To many times I have purchased coins and the slab is damaged and or the hologram is missing or also damaged.
    Many buy the slabs and not the coin. Rattlers would be an example also "generation holders".
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I really do like to see a full picture of both sides of the slab.

Fair enough - let's say that coin closeups are in addition to full slab shots. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file