Home U.S. Coin Forum

Delamination Error?

Joshu44jonesJoshu44jones Posts: 20
edited September 4, 2024 4:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has some wear on it, and scuff marks, none of which shows any sign on having copper behind it. No flaking either, indicating it could be a Delamination error. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged rim, then it was plated,imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage and if the coin looks like the color in the photo, probably plated as well. No numismatic value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

pmd & plated, jmo. value .01 cent

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rim hit and rev blunt dent to the right of Abe.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• goldengolden Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an error.

• Is there any way to test that it is or isn't plated? It is also non magnetic

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you have to start a separate thread again on the same coin?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

you have a nickel, spend it

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 5:39AM

@Joshu44jones said:
    Is there any way to test that it is or isn't plated? It is also non magnetic

You can send it in to our hosts for metallurgical analysis. That will cost you $300 or so in total (I didn't try to add the fees exactly)

Or you could take some metal shears and cut it in half. That would cost 1c, or about $15 if you need to buy the shears.

Using a metal file or sandpaper would also cost 1c

Regardless of what you do, the answer isn't going to change. It's up to to whether you spend the coin for 1c or you destroy it so it isn't even spendable.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Looks like a cent to me. Lol

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the OP is wondering if it was struck on an unplated.planchet, they can search for photos of verified examples of that error to see the differences in surface and luster.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    If the OP is wondering if it was struck on an unplated.planchet, they can search for photos of verified examples of that error to see the differences in surface and luster.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@DrBuster said:

Looks like a cent to me. Lol

Ha, whoops, coffee hadn't kicked in yet!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 8:54AM

It would not be a "delamination", first of all.

I assume you think it was either struck on unplated zinc or a wrong planchet.

You want definitive proof, shoot it with an XRF. That is not zinc on the surface to my eye.

But if you hand an experienced eye, you can tell it is plated just be looking at the surface. If it were struck that way, the surface would be smoother and more lustrous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file