Home U.S. Coin Forum

Raw Images vs. In Slab - It Does Matter! Grade:67UCAM

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2024 12:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently purchased this 1962 Proof dime for one sole purpose - to have fun imaging it! It's not expensive at all really, so the idea was to crack it out. I figured I'd take some in slab shots first so we could compare the two.

The biggest problem with small and heavily contrasted coins is slab glare - the coin will catch the light from the lights, reflect it into the slab, which will reflect back onto the coin creating a glare that forces the photographer to move the lights further away. This reduces the amount of contrast that can be captured in one image.

Take that plastic away, and you can move the lights a whole lot closer. This is especially obvious on the obverse photos.

Feel free to guess the grade if you wish!

Here's the difference!

In slab:

Not in slab:

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.mycollect.com/posts/122968

Video for those who want to GTG.

Coin Photographer.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a difference, the raw shots look spectacular! The slab looked like it was ratty though, I'd be curious to see raw vs slab with compass oil.

As far as grade, sheesh I dunno, pr68cam?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

68 DCAM

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be one of a number of reasons why EAC people like their old copper unslabbed.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a rule out of the slab is the best but……
    I forget who I bought it from here on the forum but I alias’s thought this slab pic came out fantastic.
    It helps the the coin is beautiful too.

• AvocetAvocet Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭

This is a nice experiment. While there are a few tricks to reduce the effect of the slab, the best result should come from 'no slab". As a rule, the fewer layers of glass/material between sensor and subject, the better. Thanks for sharing this!

• Seraph21Seraph21 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

That's a huge difference in the inner reflections between the slab and a coin, what's it look like if you use the same lighting positions on the raw coin as you did on the slab?

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not liking that scratch on the neck.

65cam

@Seraph21 said:
    That's a huge difference in the inner reflections between the slab and a coin, what's it look like if you use the same lighting positions on the raw coin as you did on the slab?

The lighting positions are the same, other than minor distancing adjustments (moving lights even closer).

Coin Photographer.

• Seraph21Seraph21 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@Seraph21 said:

The lighting positions are the same, other than minor distancing adjustments (moving lights even closer).

Very cool!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    I’m not liking that scratch on the neck.

65cam

That seems about 2 points too harsh.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Friends episode where Rachael is suppose to be all excited about seeing her baby in an ultra sound picture but has to keep admitting she can't see it?
    I will admit I have always had a terrible time with proofs in picture to begin with. A medical crisis that damaged my vision hasn't been a great help either, but if I am completely honest I can't tell a difference. I have nothing but respect for the person posting and believe his posting is valid. I just wish I knew what difference I am looking at. Does it grade higher in PIc #2? Is the whiteness or depth of detail make some difference? Are the fields any darker or lighter? Thanks for post anyway. James

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience has been that slab glare is highly reduced with the CAC slabs - they somehow managed to have inserts and plastic that works well for imaging.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    What a difference, the raw shots look spectacular! The slab looked like it was ratty though, I'd be curious to see raw vs slab with compass oil.

You put oil on the slab to hide the small scrapes/scratches occasionally found on slabs?

How do you get the oil off of the slab? I know acetone does not work well, wrecking the slab.

I have frequently had difficulty determining if marks are on coin or slab.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slab plastic also refracts light passing through and back out of it, part of what causes the glare. Sometimes, especially when photographing some NGC holders, the refracted light waves split and the photo looks like a Pink Floyd album.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@PeakRarities said:

You put oil on the slab to hide the small scrapes/scratches occasionally found on slabs?

How do you get the oil off of the slab? I know acetone does not work well, wrecking the slab.

I have frequently had difficulty determining if marks are on coin or slab.

yes, compass oil. Its a viscous clear oil that evaporates, you blot it up with a paper towel and then the residual oil will disappear on its own. It's a specific oil you have to use, other oils will work too but they're messier and they don't clean up as nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BLP62F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice difference

67DCAM

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

68DCAM

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Grade is 67 Ultra Cameo for those wondering.

Coin Photographer.

• Can really see the difference. Cool experiment, thanks for sharing.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    This might be one of a number of reasons why EAC people like their old copper unslabbed.

Old copper is less reflective and easier to image in the slab. Proof silver has a much bigger glare problem.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Elcontador said:

Old copper is less reflective and easier to image in the slab. Proof silver has a much bigger glare problem.

I'll take your word for this. But am not sure if this applies to a glistening BN Unc. with even toning on both obverse and reverse. Not many old coppers like the one I described, but I've seen a number of them. I don't know how well an attractive copper that just had a think coat of Blue Ribbon applied would look if it was just slabbed.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 ft, maybe a cac as well?

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof coins don't have FB/FT designations, nor does CAC sticker these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file