Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins and death

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2024 7:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I lost my “second mom” this week. Nothing like the finality of death to put things into perspective.

Walking into a LCS this afternoon, a nice man in his 80s tripped with his cane and cut his head open. We ended up talking for 10 minutes while waiting on the ambulance (compress on his head). Said he was going in to the show as a buyer (I put his cane and small bag of loot on the park bench). His wife was already gone…no one to call. Passed another man of his similar age fifteen minutes later as I washed the blood off my hands from helping and he asked “did you spend all your money today?” to which I replied, “no I just helped a man your age with neuropathy and a cane like you up off the ground. He hurt himself so I need to wash the blood off.” He empathized, said thank you and then said, “it’s hell getting old, remember that.” And I will.

Here’s the coin I was excited about buying…which I have chased for months. Definitely has a different meaning now.

Cheers to life people. Enjoy it while you can.

Comments

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perspective brother! The last few years has taught me so much.
    I work so hard now to make sure my collection is organized, catalogued and the best it can be... the idea of my beautiful wife having to go in there and go through it upon my death... break my heart!

Condolensces on the death of your second mom!

Prayers up!

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and a neat coin. Looks like the inside of confetti cake.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnny, you are a top-notch human being and I say that not because of this post, but as a result of getting to know you the past couple of years.

My condolences about your second mom, I'm very sorry to hear that. 😢

Love the cotton candy seated dollar, never seen a seated, toned roll ender before. Awesome pickup.

Life is short, and when things get put into perspective for us, it makes it seem even shorter.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy life, smile easily and eat well...but not too well.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are a good person, indeed. Thanks for sharing your story.

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your "second mom".

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extending my condolences to you Johnny, for the loss of your second Mom. But your story with the older gentleman shows what a fine human being you are. And I already knew that - I won’t soon forget how you looked out for Walkers for me @ ANA. Unprompted too! Thanks for that & for sharing this post.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences on the passing of your loved one and thank you for helping someone in need. That was very kind of you, and someday, someone will be there for you as well. There are good people in this world.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2024 12:07AM

MJ, My condolences about your second mom
    Glad you were able to help that man, as we get older things like that happen and he was lucky that you were around to help. Good things happen to good people :)

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very true.

'Time and tide stops for no one'.

Enjoy every passing moment.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Great to know a good person and our forum is blessed.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Perspective" was the first word that came to my mind as well as the first word of the first person to respond to this post.

I don't know @johnny010 but echo others praise for the help that he provided another person in need. as well as the sympathy and condolences for his loss.

Gaining perspective is growth and allows us to be better people.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't take it with you. And your kids will probably just sell it in an auction.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file