Home U.S. Coin Forum

WDYGI

Thats " what do you grade it"
Give it your honest grade. Of course, you have to trust that I gave you correct photos

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-63

• SensibleSal66SensibleSal66 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

MS64

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • YouYou Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Artificially toned

• @AUandAG said:

She isn't that beat up!

And @You I heard that when I bought it.

• It was stored > @Walkerfan said:

Looks like a cooked 61 or 62.

I have a few others that I bought from the stored roll, sometimes they are deemed AT.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    It was stored > @Walkerfan said:

Looks like a cooked 61 or 62.

I have a few others that I bought from the stored roll, sometimes they are deemed AT.

Yeah, it’s kind of hard to tell from those images. Always best to see it in hand.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• There are other questions that I would ask a seller, if I didn't buy in hand only.
    I always check to see how.........?

• i would say damaged 56 that was left in a whiskey glass almost empty for the poor fellow alotta worn points in areas others not so much

• @Bulldogs39 said:
    i would say damaged 56 that was left in a whiskey glass almost empty for the poor fellow alotta worn points in areas others not so much

I am not sure about this post, it has been made though.
    Good to meet ya Bulldog.

• whoever had it id say they held it alot , the scratches show that , thumb wore out the middle , scratches on the outside , and the scratches on the obverse , still a beauty , never seen an ugly Morgan , they all have a tale too be told

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    MS62, and yes it is that beat up. ;) The color looks AT, but the pull away around the date makes me think it is legit if not very attractive to my eye.

I would have said 62, but given the response, I’ll go 63.

• @Bulldogs39 said:
    whoever had it id say they held it alot , the scratches show that , thumb wore out the middle , scratches on the outside , and the scratches on the obverse , still a beauty , never seen an ugly Morgan , they all have a tale too be told

Thanks Bulldog, now you are being too nice!

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the trueview?

• @PickinndGrinnin said:

@Bulldogs39 said:
    i would say damaged 56 that was left in a whiskey glass almost empty for the poor fellow alotta worn points in areas others not so much

Good to meet ya Bulldog.

i think coins are damaged not for a reason , but initially , then cared for after the fact kinda, once there damaged , you wont stop it , you can contain it , but it slowly degrades in that area, so they did take great care of it all these years , some parts are not worn much i see, color does not matter on a morgan

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63....fields are decent but a few heavier marks on the cheek area prevent a higher grade

• Not a trueview, Thanks for the compliment, a common set up is the hardest for me to capture strike. Morgan after Morgan is the hardest to capture. Thanks> @Bulldogs39 said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@Bulldogs39 said:

Good to meet ya Bulldog.

i think coins are damaged not for a reason , but initially , then cared for after the fact kinda, once there damaged , you wont stop it , you can contain it , but it slowly degrades in that area, so they did take great care of it all these years , some parts are not worn much i see, color does not matter on a morgan

I love an AU coin. Personally, if I had the funds, it would be a grade of 66 or better.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• I am new Here. This is another opinion based question. I save pocket change. What if I roll some new change in a napkin, and throw it in a drawer, is that NT or AT?

Say they have been in a roll for 20 years.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PickinndGrinnin said:

I am new Here. This is another opinion based question. I save pocket change. What if I roll some new change in a napkin, and throw it in a drawer, is that NT or AT?

It will be NT, but keep in mind that some NT coins with patterns or colors commonly seen on AT coins will be deemed not market acceptable, and treated like AT coins.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Hmm. I just want to know the grade... Eventually.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 5:15AM

Although it sounds like the coin graded higher than 62, due to the conspicuous obverse marks, that’s the maximum grade I think it deserved.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited August 4, 2024 5:29AM

@PickinndGrinnin said:

I am new Here. This is another opinion based question. I save pocket change. What if I roll some new change in a napkin, and throw it in a drawer, is that NT or AT?

It will be NT if it looks NT, and AT if it looks AT.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Although it sounds like the coin graded higher than 62, due to the conspicuous obverse marks, that’s the maximum grade I think it deserved.

I'm not sure it's been graded.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the heavier marks on the cheek area say 62, and with suspect color. That being said, I don't think I've ever seen a Morgan dollar that I didn't like.... they all have a story to tell, as mentioned previously.

----- kj
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

I'm not sure it's been graded.

Thank you and after having read the OP’s comments again, neither am I.
    So I’ll change my previous comment to: Due to the conspicuous obverse marks, 62 is the highest grade I think the coin would grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

62 for the focal area hits, but I like the color.

@PickinndGrinnin said:

I can tell you're new.

@Pizzaman said:
    I can tell you're new.

@PickinndGrinnin may be new here but is not new to coin forums, they came from CT. ;)

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this one around midnight and honestly I first thought 61, but didn’t comment because I wanted a second look today.
    If it grades higher than 62, I personally would jump for joy!😉
    That cheek/neck looks like she was in a real battle.
    >
    Maybe send that girl off to CACG and see how far I’m off, if it’s not graded.👍
    And that’s assuming no AT issues.

• As said above this one hasn't been graded, this is just an exercise to train the eyes and know what to look for. Especially when buying a raw coin. The majority of the coins I buy are raw,
    I would say that most folks here are correct, this coin would fit in the AU58-MS62 range. As an 86'P Morgan they tend to grade these pretty tough, I don't see a MS63 at all.

edited August 4, 2024 8:13AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Pizzaman said:
    I can tell you're new.

@PickinndGrinnin may be new here but is not new to coin forums, they came from CT. ;)

The question he's asking is naive. What if the napkin were a brown one instead of a white one? What if regardless of the color of the napkin, he'd never intended the coins tone? What if he'd kept the coins in a cloth bag instead and intended they'd tone? Judge the coins on their face without regard to "AT" or "NT." Let the TPGs play the mind games with that.

• @Pizzaman said:

I can tell you're new.

Just new here, I have been collecting for over 10 years, and hording coins for many more. LOL
    The point on toning was what if those coins had been forgotten for 10 years. Not that I intend to leave them that way.

edited August 4, 2024 8:16AM

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@Pizzaman said:

I can tell you're new.

Just new here, I have been collecting for over 10 years, and hording coins for many more. LOL
    The point on toning was what if those coins had been forgotten for 10 years. Not that I intend to leave them that way.

Got it. But who cares? These terms are arbitrary.

edited August 4, 2024 8:19AM

@Pizzaman said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Pizzaman said:
    I can tell you're new.

The question he's asking is naive. What if the napkin were a brown one instead of a white one? What if regardless of the color of the napkin, he'd never intended the coins tone? What if he'd kept the coins in a cloth bag instead and intended they'd tone? Judge the coins on their face without regard to "AT" or "NT." Let the TPGs play the mind games with that.

What if he soaked the napkin in sulfur? 😈

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    As said above this one hasn't been graded, this is just an exercise to train the eyes and know what to look for. Especially when buying a raw coin. The majority of the coins I buy are raw,
    I would say that most folks here are correct, this coin would fit in the AU58-MS62 range. As an 86'P Morgan they tend to grade these pretty tough, I don't see a MS63 at all.

How is anyone getting trained here since we don't have any objective, professional evaluation?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 5:05PM

Ms 63, I'll just leave the post here 👍

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@Pizzaman said:

I can tell you're new.

You could easily argue (as we have on 1000 threads) that ALL toning is NT. You could also argue (and we have) that ALL toning is AT. The real distinction is market acceptable or not.

You can put a coin in a canvas bag for 50 years and have it come back QC. You can also put a coin in a taco bell napkin and have it straight grade. Or vice versa.

And, like it or not, you can send the and coin in 10x and get QC 3 times and a straight grade 7 times.

There are a lot of grey areas with color.

Now ask about MS70 on copper....

edited August 4, 2024 8:30AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    You could easily argue (as we have on 1000 threads) that ALL toning is NT. You could also argue (and we have) that ALL toning is AT. The real distinction is market acceptable or not.

Exactly. And who says that, but the market. And when it's the TPG's market, the TPG.

• @jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    As said above this one hasn't been graded, this is just an exercise to train the eyes and know what to look for. Especially when buying a raw coin. The majority of the coins I buy are raw,

How is anyone getting trained here since we don't have any objective, professional evaluation?

Just remember that many inexperienced folks read threads and glean information from those who they consider to be more experienced. Although it is nice to have an arbitrator, one of the top TPG's, It's not always necessary.

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

Just remember that many inexperienced folks read threads and glean information from those who they consider to be more experienced. Although it is nice to have an arbitrator, one of the top TPG's, It's not always necessary.

This forum is not consistent or reliable in terms of grading ability, so it would be necessary in this case. The fact that there is a wide breadth of grades here (as there is in just about every guess the grade thread) shows that to be the case. There may be some commenters who give accurate grades (and I stand by mine) but there is little way of knowing which guesses are reliable or unreliable. So if you want a real grade, you’ll have to submit it.

@You said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

This forum is not consistent or reliable in terms of grading ability, so it would be necessary in this case. The fact that there is a wide breadth of grades here (as there is in just about every guess the grade thread) shows that to be the case. There may be some commenters who give accurate grades (and I stand by mine) but there is little way of knowing which guesses are reliable or unreliable. So if you want a real grade, you’ll have to submit it.

You mean Details to AU to MS-64 wouldn't help a newbie? Lol

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we should all dogpile on the new member for trying to participate. :/

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

What if he soaked the napkin in sulfur? 😈

Then it would smell like hell and your devil Emoji would be appropriate. >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file