Comments

• YouYou Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 1:26PM

@MFeld said:

@You said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    As said above this one hasn't been graded, this is just an exercise to train the eyes and know what to look for. Especially when buying a raw coin. The majority of the coins I buy are raw,
    I would say that most folks here are correct, this coin would fit in the AU58-MS62 range. As an 86'P Morgan they tend to grade these pretty tough, I don't see a MS63 at all.

How is anyone getting trained here since we don't have any objective, professional evaluation?

Just remember that many inexperienced folks read threads and glean information from those who they consider to be more experienced. Although it is nice to have an arbitrator, one of the top TPG's, It's not always necessary.

This forum is not consistent or reliable in terms of grading ability, so it would be necessary in this case. The fact that there is a wide breadth of grades here (as there is in just about every guess the grade thread) shows that to be the case. There may be some commenters who give accurate grades (and I stand by mine) but there is little way of knowing which guesses are reliable or unreliable. So if you want a real grade, you’ll have to submit it.

Guess the grade threads can be helpful learning exercises, especially if good quality images are provided and a sufficient number of knowledgeable posters participate. Of course, it helps if readers know which participants know their stuff and which might not/don’t.

Thus far, this thread has resulted in approximately the following opinions:
    (1) 56
    (1) 61
    (1) 61-62
    (5) 62
    (2) 62QT
    (4) 63
    (1) 64
    (1) AT
    I don’t know whether the “56” was a serious guess, but either way, I’d toss it and the 64.
    That leaves a range of 61 to 63 (mostly centered at grades 62 and 63) with some QT possibilities thrown in. I think that’s a pretty good result.

I don’t think that can measurably be viewed as a good result until the coin is actually graded. I’ve seen many times when this forum trends at the same grade but that grade is significantly off base. Just because the result has some consistency doesn’t make it “good”. If this coin is details, that consistency means nothing. Hell, I’m not even sure it’s MS, the obverse has AU vibes.

You’re right that this thread is more consistent than I may have implied, but a large number of wrong answers doesn’t add up to a right answer.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58, market acceptable toning

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:
    62 for the focal area hits, but I like the color.

I like pizza too :D

• numistnumist Posts: 6 ✭✭

In at MS62

• john_nyc1john_nyc1 Posts: 71 ✭✭

I guess 63 unless AT

Casual collector, mostly Morgans & Peace Dollars.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

. > @MFeld said:

Guess the grade threads can be helpful learning exercises, especially if good quality images are provided and a sufficient number of knowledgeable posters participate. Of course, it helps if readers know which participants know their stuff and which might not/don’t.

(1) 56
    (1) 61
    (1) 61-62
    (5) 62
    (2) 62QT
    (4) 63
    (1) 64
    (1) AT
    I don’t know whether the “56” was a serious guess, but either way, I’d toss it and the 64.
    That leaves a range of 61 to 63 (mostly centered at grades 62 and 63) with some QT possibilities thrown in. I think that’s a pretty good result.

A weakness in all GTG threads is the ability of subsequent posters to see earlier guesses. Otherwise, I agree.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@Pizzaman said:
    62 for the focal area hits, but I like the color.

I like pizza too :D

Pizzas aren't ambiguous. ;)

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing 62.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without looking at any of the comments, or knowing if it’s been revealed already, but I’ll go ms63 with some attractive windowsill toning.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@You said:

@MFeld said:

@You said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    As said above this one hasn't been graded, this is just an exercise to train the eyes and know what to look for. Especially when buying a raw coin. The majority of the coins I buy are raw,
    I would say that most folks here are correct, this coin would fit in the AU58-MS62 range. As an 86'P Morgan they tend to grade these pretty tough, I don't see a MS63 at all.

How is anyone getting trained here since we don't have any objective, professional evaluation?

Just remember that many inexperienced folks read threads and glean information from those who they consider to be more experienced. Although it is nice to have an arbitrator, one of the top TPG's, It's not always necessary.

This forum is not consistent or reliable in terms of grading ability, so it would be necessary in this case. The fact that there is a wide breadth of grades here (as there is in just about every guess the grade thread) shows that to be the case. There may be some commenters who give accurate grades (and I stand by mine) but there is little way of knowing which guesses are reliable or unreliable. So if you want a real grade, you’ll have to submit it.

(1) 56
    (1) 61
    (1) 61-62
    (5) 62
    (2) 62QT
    (4) 63
    (1) 64
    (1) AT

I don’t think that can measurably be viewed as a good result until the coin is actually graded. I’ve seen many times when this forum trends at the same grade but that grade is significantly off base. Just because the result has some consistency doesn’t make it “good”. If this coin is details, that consistency means nothing. Hell, I’m not even sure it’s MS, the obverse has AU vibes.

You’re right that this thread is more consistent than I may have implied, but a large number of wrong answers doesn’t add up to a right answer.

I'm told by a member of the forum that the average grade on one of these threads is more accurate than John Albanese...

[Laughing inside]

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 was my first impression and I'm sticking with it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

62; attractive toning.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 9:48AM

62, toning looks like it has the pull off from the numbers and letters so I'll say old NT (Natural Toning)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Thanks Mark, you don't know how much I appreciate that.
    Are you ready for another in @Catbert name WDYGI!
    I mean "Grade my raw Morgan?"
    I bought 3 of them all double sided. Album toners.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    62, toning looks like it has the pull off from the numbers and letters so I'll say old NT (Natural Toning)

Depends how we’re defining “natural”, and it’s a slippery slippery slope. Pull-off can be observed on windowsill toning, which some might call artificial.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• @jmlanzaf said:

@You said:

@MFeld said:

@You said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

(1) 56
    (1) 61
    (1) 61-62
    (5) 62
    (2) 62QT
    (4) 63
    (1) 64
    (1) AT

I'm told by a member of the forum that the average grade on one of these threads is more accurate than John Albanese...

[Laughing inside]

I tend to be harder on grading than most. It really isn't the static photo, a coin was meant to grab your attention and roll in the light

• @You said:

@MFeld said:

@You said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:

(1) 56
    (1) 61
    (1) 61-62
    (5) 62
    (2) 62QT
    (4) 63
    (1) 64
    (1) AT

Whats your grade?

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming it’s a luster bomb which is a guess based on the dark pics (although evidenced on some of the peripheral) and if it’s straight graded, I would say a popped for color 64+.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with the giant '18' in the date? Questionable color. Too many marks for choice uncirculated. That's MS 63 for the number crunchers among us. Doesn't even make 62 or "select uncirculated" imo.

AU details. Questionable Color.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2024 6:36AM

Heavy contact marks on prime focal areas on the obverse... and questionable color... I'm going with MS62

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:

@jmlanzaf said:

What if he soaked the napkin in sulfur? 😈

Then it would smell like hell and your devil Emoji would be appropriate. >:)

This would be more appropriate: :trollface:

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file