Home U.S. Coin Forum

Transferring Indian head cent collection to Whitman folder I find its missing 1886 Variety 1 and II

Whitman only has slot for 1886. Unless I have an old Whitman folder, this sucks. I was transferring my G-VG flying eagle Indian head cent collection from a Littleton Company book to a Whitman book and found the Whitman does not have 1886 varieties like the Littleton book has. Does anyone have the latest Whitman for this series and does it have the 2 varieties. My Whitman folders were bought in the 90's and could be out of date.

In case there are those that are not familiar with the 2 varieties for 1886:

Stars&Stripes

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dansco does. They don't have the 73 cl 3 op 3 though and they have the stupid 69/9.

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get the Littleton album. It has space for both.

• @hfjacinto said:

I was moving my set from Littleton to Whitman as mentioned in an attempt to save space in the safe, but if there is not a more streamlined album I will need to go back to the Littleton

Stars&Stripes

Ooops sorry I didn’t see that.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Dansco does. They don't have the 73 cl 3 op 3 though and they have the stupid 69/9.

Not 100% accurate.
    Earlier versions of the Dansco Indian cent albums do contain the various varieties. Later/newer versions do not.

(The same happened with the earlier versions of the Buffalo nickels VS the later editions. The early ones include the overdate and the 3-legged. Later version do not.)
    Here is mine:

peacockcoins

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2024 6:43PM

@hfjacinto said:

But the Littleton holder does not have a space for two varieties of 1873 cents. It also leaves out the 1856 Flying Eagle. I guess the coin has gotten to be too expensive for most collectors who use those albums, but it is mentioned on the cover.

When I was kid collector, I could never find a nice 1886 cent. I only had the first one in VG (today’s Fine), but not the second. I think the second one is harder to find, and not well struck.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited July 22, 2024 6:46PM

@BillJones said:

@hfjacinto said:

But the Littleton holder does not have a space for two varieties of 1873 cents. It also leaves out the 1856 Flying Eagle. I guess the coin has gotten to be too expensive for most collectors who use those albums, but it is mentioned on the cover.

Personally I don’t buy varieties so even having the type 2/type 1 1886 was a turn off for me. The closed/open 3 is so insignificant that I would ignore them completely.

And you can get really stupid with the varieties, you can have 1865 in fancy and plain 5, the pointed and rounded 1860 bust, shallow and bold N. Why stop only at 2?

At five figures for an an 1856 I don’t know of anyone that would put it an album.

@hfjacinto said:

@BillJones said:

@hfjacinto said:

Personally I don’t buy varieties so even having the type 2/type 1 1886 was a turn off for me. The closed/open 3 is so insignificant that I would ignore them completely.

At five figures for an an 1856 I don’t know of anyone that would put it an album.

The old Library of Coins album did have a space for the 1856 Flyer, but yes most collectors would not fill that space.

Believe it or not, there were two hoards of the 1856 Flying Eagles, one with 500 pieces and the other with 700. There was probably an overlap between the two, but the hoards existed.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

Believe it or not, there were two hoards of the 1856 Flying Eagles, one with 500 pieces and the other with 700. There was probably an overlap between the two, but the hoards existed.

@BillJones even with 1200 of the 1856 flying eagles you probably have over 10,000 collectors of FÉ and IHC, sadly not enough to put a raw one in an album
    😜

@hfjacinto said:

@BillJones said:

@BillJones even with 1200 of the 1856 flying eagles you probably have over 10,000 collectors of FÉ and IHC, sadly not enough to put a raw one in an album
    😜

According to “Coin Facts.”: there are 5,000, 1877 Indian Cents, which is also less than enough coins to go around, compared to your estimate. Still, I agree that the 1856 hole probably should be left out of the album. The incentive for the Chinese to make a counterfeit would be too high.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes which varieties are you looking to have in your book? Any dates you would rather not have an empty slot for?

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 11:48AM

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    @starsandstripes which varieties are you looking to have in your book? Any dates you would rather not have an empty slot for?

At a minimum what I already have for varieties 1886 type 1 and 2, 1873 open 3 if coin book offers a slot but if not, I can just label it, since I am not looking for the closed 3. 69 over 68 is in the Whitman book but not in the Littleton book; I can live without that variety.

Stars&Stripes
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve run into this type of situation so many times over the years with many different series. I sure do wish there was an affordable way to have someone custom make you an album. It seems like there’s just never the right one for what you want.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

edited July 23, 2024 1:44PM

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I’ve run into this type of situation so many times over the years with many different series. I sure do wish there was an affordable way to have someone custom make you an album. It seems like there’s just never the right one for what you want.

There is. You can use Eagle brand holders. The pages, which used to be too fragile, have improved. You also have the option of taking the expensive key date coins out of the album and putting those coins in the safe deposit box, leaving the common dates to enjoy at home.

Eagle holders and albums leave you with the option of including or excluding any coins you would like.

Here is a sample photo of an album.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file