Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG: 1928-P St. Gauden's $20 Gold - PCGS

Curious to see what you all think this $20 St. Gauden's Double Eagle graded at PCGS - grade revealed EOD!

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 6:50AM

Curious if you're going to place an ad for your business along with the answer. This is not the appropriate forum for ads.

EDIT: Also, for the second time, post the full resolution photo. This is useless without it.

• @lermish said:
    Curious if you're going to place an ad for your business along with the answer. This is not the appropriate forum for ads.

EDIT: Also, for the second time, post the full resolution photo. This is useless without it.

Apologies, thought this was the full-resolution photo. As far as an ad, this is not one - though it is meant to get the word out about Numismy, which is a no-fee alternative to eBay and other marketplaces.

• johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 7:20AM

@Numismy you can post the grade here on the (U.S. Coin Forum) but you can't sell things or "promote" here (that kind of stuff goes to the Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins forum ) which you can find by clicking on the third one up from the bottom of "Coins and Currency - PCGS" forums. But I don't think one is allowed to promote a service?
    and I'd guess MS-63 maybe 64
    (edited for grammar)

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Numismy said:

@lermish said:

Apologies, thought this was the full-resolution photo. As far as an ad, this is not one - though it is meant to get the word out about Numismy, which is a no-fee alternative to eBay and other marketplaces.

That sure sounds a lot like an ad.

If there are no fees, then it is not an ad. An ad is supposed to attract buyers or otherwise support the advertiser. If there are truly no fees at all, then it does not gain the OP anything, thus negating any form of advertising.
    Here is an example, (silly perhaps) where'sgeorge.com is safe to track currency as long as they are not selling anything to support tracking it such as stamps or other merchandise, as the U.S. government does not allow advertising on currency. However they do permit the stamps since they do not make money from it. Just my two cents.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 12:30PM

I wouldn't mind if we allow it. Numismy is a fee-free marketplace, and I think Ethan is an asset to the hobby. It's akin to playing GTG on mycollect, and I don't have an issue with it.

MS 66

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Mark.
    We all know if Heritage did this- post a photo of a coin with a GTG surrounded by their logos- many would take issue with it.
    What's (not) good for the goose is (not) good for the gander.

peacockcoins

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@Numismy said:

@lermish said:

If there are no fees, then it is not an ad. An ad is supposed to attract buyers or otherwise support the advertiser. If there are truly no fees at all, then it does not gain the OP anything, thus negating any form of advertising.
    Here is an example, (silly perhaps) where'sgeorge.com is safe to track currency as long as they are not selling anything to support tracking it such as stamps or other merchandise, as the U.S. government does not allow advertising on currency. However they do permit the stamps since they do not make money from it. Just my two cents.

Fees aren’t required for it to constitute an ad. See on line definitions of “ad” and “advertisement”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

It would be nice if we had some type of "hybrid" forum between us coins and the BST. A thread like this would be silly on the BST, but at the same time, I understand why some might be uncomfortable with it on the US coin forum. With that said, I love playing GTG and if there was a disclaimer that this is somewhat of an ad, I feel like many wouldn't mind playing.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited July 5, 2024 9:33AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    It would be nice if we had some type of "hybrid" forum between us coins and the BST. A thread like this would be silly on the BST, but at the same time, I understand why some might be uncomfortable with it on the US coin forum. With that said, I love playing GTG and if there was a disclaimer that this is somewhat of an ad, I feel like many wouldn't mind playing.

Dan, the thread started out as a typical GTG thread and of course, there weren’t any objections to that. It was a follow-up post that changed things. And ditto for the 1900-S $1 thread. There’s still the option to promote the site on the BST forum.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m confused—which part of OP’s post is an ad? His username? If that’s the case any dealer with their business as their username could accused of the same.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

@MFeld said:

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@Numismy said:

@lermish said:

Fees aren’t required for it to constitute an ad. See on line definitions of “ad” and “advertisement”.

Ok, I'm wrong, I just have a different viewpoint on this issue. I agree with @DeplorableDan 's post above.

Also, what happened to the post that you made above this? I got a notification that you had quoted me, but there was no comment there to see.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@Numismy said:

@lermish said:

Ok, I'm wrong, I just have a different viewpoint on this issue. I agree with @DeplorableDan 's post above.

Also, what happened to the post that you made above this? I got a notification that you had quoted me, but there was no comment there to see.

I tried to edit my post and as sometimes happens, it disappeared. So I rewrote a shorter reply, which shows.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much about this is also based on intent.
    Was the OP genuinely curious what others here thought of this coin's grade or were there other motives behind the post?
    Does the OP contribute to other threads with thoughtful opinions, or is their only contribution these "GTG" threads/posts?

peacockcoins

edited July 5, 2024 9:52AM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I’m confused—which part of OP’s post is an ad? His username? If that’s the case any dealer with their business as their username could accused of the same.

It’s not the username. It was comments by the OP (at least one of which I think has been edited/deleted) in this and his other GTG thread.

For the record, I have nothing against “Numismy” and didn’t assume he was doing anything he thought was improper.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

It’s not the username. It was comments by the OP (at least one of which I think has been edited/feleted) in this and his other GTG thread.

For the record, I have nothing against “Numismy” and didn’t assume he was doing anything he thought was improper.

Agreed and I also enjoy GTG like @DeplorableDan But given how OP's first post ended and second one began I think a gentle "here's the forum norms" note was in order.

@MFeld said:

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@CRHer700 said:

@MFeld said:

@Numismy said:

@lermish said:

I tried to edit my post and as sometimes happens, it disappeared. So I rewrote a shorter reply, which shows.

Ok, I thought that they had fixed that.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... with all THAT said... I'll say MS64... :*

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    OK... with all THAT said... I'll say MS64... :*

+1

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • CregCreg Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 12:29PM

I like @braddick ‘s take. I trust @DeplorableDan ’s take. If he mimics Mikee999 we’ll figure it out.
    My take—on probationary teacher status, auditing class.
    Offer a prize for the winner, gifts break rocks.
    65+, then.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These glamour shots usually portray a coin better than in hand. MS63+

@Creg said:
    I like @braddick ‘s take. I trust @DeplorableDan ’s take. If he mimics Mikee999 we’ll figure it out.
    My take—on probationary teacher status, auditing class.
    Offer a prize for the winner, gifts break rocks.
    65+, then.

@mikee999 doesn't use trueviews.

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

MS-66

• CregCreg Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 12:41PM

Oh, yeah! It is a rough analogy, better than using Finn, though.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 CNGRTS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common date. Yawn….

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• CarterofmarsCarterofmars Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 8:34PM

To grade the 1928 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle ($20 gold coin) using the American Numismatic Association (ANA) grading standards, we need to evaluate its condition based on the provided images:

Obverse (Front):

• Contact Marks: The coin shows a few minor contact marks, particularly in the fields and on Liberty's figure. These marks are minimal and not overly distracting.
    • Hairlines: There are no significant hairlines visible, indicating that the coin has not been improperly cleaned or handled.
    • Luster: The coin exhibits strong original luster, which is a positive aspect.
    • Strike: The strike appears sharp, with clear details visible in Liberty's figure, the stars, and other features.
    • Eye Appeal: The overall eye appeal is excellent, with the coin maintaining a clean and attractive appearance despite the minor contact marks.

Reverse (Back):

• Contact Marks: The reverse shows minimal contact marks, and those present are minor and not distracting.
    • Hairlines: No significant hairlines are visible on the reverse.
    • Luster: The luster remains strong and original on the reverse.
    • Strike: The details on the eagle, including the feathers and other features, are well-defined, indicating a sharp strike.
    • Eye Appeal: The reverse has a consistent appearance with the obverse, maintaining excellent eye appeal.

ANA Grading Summary:

• MS-70 (Perfect): The coin does not meet this grade due to the presence of minor contact marks.
    • MS-69: The coin falls short of this grade because of the minor contact marks.
    • MS-68: This grade is a strong possibility given the strong luster, sharp strike, and minimal contact marks.
    • MS-67: This grade is also a strong possibility due to the excellent eye appeal and overall high quality.
    • MS-66: This grade seems fitting, given the strong luster, sharp strike, and minimal contact marks that do not overly detract from the overall appearance.

Considering the condition observed in the images, an MS-66 to MS-67 grade seems appropriate. This grade reflects the above-average surface quality, sharp strike, strong luster, and very pleasing eye appeal, with only a few minor contact marks. The coin exhibits characteristics that are consistent with a high-end mint state coin.

Given the images, I lean slightly towards MS-67 due to its outstanding eye appeal and overall preservation.

@Carterofmars said:
    To grade the 1928 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle ($20 gold coin) using the American Numismatic Association (ANA) grading standards, we need to evaluate its condition based on the provided images:

Obverse (Front):

• Contact Marks: The coin shows a few minor contact marks, particularly in the fields and on Liberty's figure. These marks are minimal and not overly distracting.
    • Hairlines: There are no significant hairlines visible, indicating that the coin has not been improperly cleaned or handled.
    • Strike: The strike appears sharp, with clear details visible in Liberty's figure, the stars, and other features.
    • Eye Appeal: The overall eye appeal is excellent, with the coin maintaining a clean and attractive appearance despite the minor contact marks.

Reverse (Back):

• Contact Marks: The reverse shows minimal contact marks, and those present are minor and not distracting.
    • Strike: The details on the eagle, including the feathers and other features, are well-defined, indicating a sharp strike.
    • Eye Appeal: The reverse has a consistent appearance with the obverse, maintaining excellent eye appeal.

ANA Grading Summary:

• MS-70 (Perfect): The coin does not meet this grade due to the presence of minor contact marks.
    • MS-68: This grade is a strong possibility given the strong luster, sharp strike, and minimal contact marks.
    • MS-67: This grade is also a strong possibility due to the excellent eye appeal and overall high quality.
    • MS-66: This grade seems fitting, given the strong luster, sharp strike, and minimal contact marks that do not overly detract from the overall appearance.

Considering the condition observed in the images, an MS-66 to MS-67 grade seems appropriate. This grade reflects the above-average surface quality, sharp strike, strong luster, and very pleasing eye appeal, with only a few minor contact marks. The coin exhibits characteristics that are consistent with a high-end mint state coin.

Given the images, I lean slightly towards MS-67 due to its outstanding eye appeal and overall preservation.

Are you using AI again?

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carterofmars said:

Obverse (Front):

Reverse (Back):

ANA Grading Summary:

Not sure where you're getting your information but the divot in Ms. Liberty's upper shin and the chunk taken out of her left breast probably limits the grade a bit... IMHO...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see this coin being graded MS66 but I tend to be conservative when grading from pics so I guessed MS65. No matter how good the pics are, there can be flaws that the pics didn't show that the graders will see while rotating the coin under a halogen or incandescent lamp such as hairlines and small scuffs. In any event, that's a very attractive coin with decent luster. <3

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many happy BST transactions
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks really nice - my wager MS65.

Coins & Currency

@lkenefic said:

@Carterofmars said:

Obverse (Front):

Reverse (Back):

ANA Grading Summary:

Not sure where you're getting your information but the divot in Ms. Liberty's upper shin and the chunk taken out of her left breast probably limits the grade a bit... IMHO...

Don't forget about the reverse!

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking MS65

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins

You can’t nitpick every little hit these arent graded like moderns. From what I’ve seen luster and eye appeal far outweigh preservation.

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

65.... and I have seen the "in crowd" forumites post coins from their ebay or store inventory because they were "special" coins that we all needed to be informed about, and no one said peep

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

It's past the end of day. Waiting for the reveal.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• CarterofmarsCarterofmars Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Grade please? :)

• Grade reveal (so sorry for the delay)!!! PCGS MS-66 - thank you to all who guessed!

@Coinscratch said:

@hummingbird_coins

You can’t nitpick every little hit these arent graded like moderns. From what I’ve seen luster and eye appeal far outweigh preservation.

I mean.... you can, but your guess would almost certainly be wrong, if we're using the PCGS grade as the right answer. It appears that many forumites are tough on saints, but one must not forget that these are made of soft gold and they were stored in a way that gives them friction on the high points. Because of that, the series gets some clemency in the grading room.

When I first look at that TV, I'm immediately in the gem range based on luster and clean fields. If anyone arrived at a grade less than 65, you may need to loosen up a bit on these coins. JA is tough on saints too, but I couldn't see that coin in anything less than a 65 CAC holder.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited July 6, 2024 5:43PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file