Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP GTG: 1890-CC Morgan Dollar (EDIT: GRADE REVEALED IN THREAD)

mattnissmattniss Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2024 9:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Fresh pickup, quick mediocre photos from my desk. Will share the grade soon enough! (EDIT: new obverse photo attempted, it's now the first of the two obverse photos.)

EDIT 2: now with video link: https://vimeo.com/971051841

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2024 10:09AM

Has the luster of a 65 but all luster grazes on the face limit it to 64 for me. Obverse picture could use some more light.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'll wait for better than "mediocre" photos.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Guessing 64

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I think I'll wait for better than "mediocre" photos.

Ok, added one more obverse photo with my limited time / setup today. Hope this helps King Feld!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would personally grade it as MS63, but with market grading and as P loves luster I'm guessing the tag says MS64.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

63+, even though I’d grade it 63.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It's possible to be a 62 but I can't quite tell if how severe some of the marks are. If they are severe then 62, otherwise 63 all day long.

@MFeld said:

I don't think they had plus grades on that holder generation.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    63. It's possible to be a 62 but I can't quite tell if how severe some of the marks are. If they are severe then 62, otherwise 63 all day long.

@MFeld said:

I don't think they had plus grades on that holder generation.

Thank you. If that’s the case, I’ll go MS63.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62 or 63

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 with above average luster.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2024 12:43PM

63 though a 64 wouldn't surprise me. Too many marks on Liberty in key visual areas.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KoinsarefunKoinsarefun Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

Sixty
    Five

• Options

The new pic makes it seem like a 63/64 liner, I was closer to the 64/65 line with the prior pictures but now ms63 seems like a real possibility.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2024 2:17PM

63 after closer inspection.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    MS62 or 63

+1

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Are you “MS65” guessers looking at the left side of Liberty’s cheek, her jaw and her neck?
    Those areas do count.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2024 2:18PM

@MFeld said:
    Are you “MS65” guessers looking at the left side of Liberty’s cheek, her jaw and her neck?
    Those areas do count.

If you were able to point out the flaws, you’re also capable to enlarge the image to go along with your “snide” remarks?

:smile:

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭

63 shot 64

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

C+ 63. Fabric of a gem net graded for deep bag marks

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 63 ... I think the luster carries her there, but the marks on the cheek and portrait limit any further upside.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

62+ huge marks on the obverse.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

• Options

Took a quick video to give you all the angles... will post the grade later this evening Pacific time!

https://vimeo.com/971051841

• Options
    edited June 28, 2024 4:22PM

@mattniss said:
    Took a quick video to give you all the angles... will post the grade later this evening Pacific time!

It looks better in the video. In all seriousness, if you're going to post a GTG thread, why not include any relevant pictures and/or videos at the outset instead of creating a moving target?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@mattniss said:

It looks better in the video. In all seriousness, if you're going to post a GTG thread, why not include any relevant pictures and/or videos at the outset instead of creating a moving target?

You get what you pay for?

• Options

@MFeld said:

Thanks and fairly taken, though the reason is simply that I was adapting to the thread's feedback on the fly. First set of pictures were taken quickly in the hopes to share a post this morning. Based on early feedback, second picture was taken to attempt to improve, though with haste. Video was then taken later in the afternoon when I had a little more free time, given the continued feedback. Could I have just taken video at the onset? Sure, but I didn't... whoops.

The updates were to allow for the most information possible given the feedback, not to mislead. Also, it's just a post -- it's not like you can't update your answer given the info provided. The timestamps validate all.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@mattniss said:

@MFeld said:

Thanks and fairly taken, though the reason is simply that I was adapting to the thread's feedback on the fly. First set of pictures were taken quickly in the hopes to share a post this morning. Based on early feedback, second picture was taken to attempt to improve, though with haste. Video was then taken later in the afternoon when I had a little more free time, given the continued feedback. Could I have just taken video at the onset? Sure, but I didn't... whoops.

The updates were to allow for the most information possible given the feedback, not to mislead. Also, it's just a post -- it's not like you can't update your answer given the info provided. The timestamps validate all.

Some respondents don’t look at the thread again and see updated images, videos, etc. before the grade is revealed. Your thread, your choice - I was merely making a suggestion (in the form of a question).😉

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the video. I reiterate my grade before MS63 with maybe 62. But I think 63 is appropriate. It's pretty baggy/chattery and you can't really tell from the photos but the fields are very nice.

• Options

Very new to this but it seems the CC's are given more slack re bag marks to get to 64 than non CCs.
    I have no data or facts to back this hypothesis up. ;)

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

@john_nyc1 said:
    Very new to this but it seems the CC's are given more slack re bag marks to get to 64 than non CCs.
    I have no data or facts to back this hypothesis up. ;)

I dont know if I would necessarily say that only CC’s get more leeway in the grading room. I could, however, make the argument that Morgans, as a series, tend to get more slack.

Regarding CC’s, remember that many of them are struck well and often found with semi PL, PL, or DMPL surfaces. These types of surfaces tend to show contact marks more prominently than a satiny Morgan in the same grade.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭

MS64

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few pretty nicely struck examples that were low grades. Enough marks to call this a 62.

--Craig
  • Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

MS 62. Let's see the new pictures!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, meant to leave my earlier guess - 64 - and would stand by that still as the marks seem exaggerated by the first pictures. However, I have seen that before and had my coin pictures jumped on for similar when in fact the coins in hand show these marks to be barely noticeable and the coins received appropriate grades by host.
    Well, will stick to my guns and think the video seems to back this position a bit.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint state 64

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file