Home U.S. Coin Forum

FIRST DAY FIRST ISSUE 1966 and 1967 clad quarters-- anyone have any info on these?

tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran across these... hadn't seen them before. A commemorative mailing, for FIRST DAY FIRST ISSUE... one for 1966 quarter and one for 1967 quarter. They both seem to have pretty good strikes for those years, the 1966 has rather clean surfaces. They are both still sealed in plastic, and I have not opened them.... so photos may show some distortions, etc., from the plastic. Anyone run across these or have some info on them?

----- kj

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might as well show the reverse also!!

----- kj

Out of curiosity... since both envelopes are sealed; any chance PCGS would give any type of info on the label?

----- kj
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that the postmark is San Clement, CA. I wonder if any of the local coin dealers know anything about them. I suspect it is a promotion of some type.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 11:55AM

@tincup said:
    Ran across these... hadn't seen them before. A commemorative mailing, for FIRST DAY FIRST ISSUE... one for 1966 quarter and one for 1967 quarter. They both seem to have pretty good strikes for those years, the 1966 has rather clean surfaces. They are both still sealed in plastic, and I have not opened them.... so photos may show some distortions, etc., from the plastic. Anyone run across these or have some info on them?

Fairly recent forum thread;
    current eBay item (1966 quarter is part of offering).

Edited to Add:
    I just stumbled across this article about Baker and PNCs: https://norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/pnc/kap1.html
    If anyone is interested, it can be translated using: https://translate.google.com

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, both covers seem to have been poorly stored. The covers are damaged and the coins themselves look very bland.

As mentioned before, some of the covers do have value but the value comes mostly from them containing high grade uncirculated foreign coins of that era. I'm not sure just what collector base the covers themselves have these days.

All glory is fleeting.

Thanks all! Excellent info.... excellent links. Does sound like the 99 Company! So, how did the company get the coins ahead of time, if the mint did not start minting until that day (or start releasing them on that day)? A representative had to be at the Philadelphia Mint to get them right away? (probably a real simple answer that I'm overlooking.... !)

----- kj
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @davewesen said, a second hand/off market or promotional item. Probably a nice to have for posterity. Always thought these "First Day Issue" things were a promotional gimmick.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Thanks all! Excellent info.... excellent links. Does sound like the 99 Company! So, how did the company get the coins ahead of time, if the mint did not start minting until that day (or start releasing them on that day)? A representative had to be at the Philadelphia Mint to get them right away? (probably a real simple answer that I'm overlooking.... !)

Didn't they also produce 1966 quarters in San Francisco?
    Could the company making these had access to a San Clemente postmark stamp and they could change the date?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 11:18AM

Couldn't they also simply have put the coin in the envelope later? The coin is not tied by the postmark, only the stamp is.

Also, January 1 1967 was a Sunday as well a New Year's Day. Why would the Mint be working? It's been a Federal Holiday since 1870.

@jmlanzaf said:
    Couldn't they also simply have put the coin in the envelope later? The coin is not tied by the postmark, only the stamp is.

Also, January 1 1967 was a Sunday as well a New Year's Day. Why would the Mint be working? It's been a Federal Holiday since 1870.

Yep.... that's probably it. Otherwise, I don't see the logistics working out very well to be able to make the venture profitable. Have the envelopes all ready, know when the Mint is beginning to mint or release; get the envelopes postmarked on that day! Then, get the shipment from the mint ASAP and start stuffing/sealing the envelopes.

----- kj

@davewesen said:

@tincup said:

Could the company making these had access to a San Clemente postmark stamp and they could change the date?

And having a postmark stamp would also work. Since the items were not actually mailed, they could have added the postmark themselves with whatever date was needed. Though I suspect they probably just had the PO stamp everything on the appropriate date, and added the coins later.

----- kj
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Out of curiosity... since both envelopes are sealed; any chance PCGS would give any type of info on the label?

Nope. I asked once about a roll of SBAs with a first day postmark on it. If the roll had been shipped from the mint in a package with that postmark and the package was unopened, then it would qualify for added silliness on the label.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭

The correct answer is....

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭

So we can blame this company for all the special label slabs costing more money than without the special designations?

The "first day" refers to the first day of public distribution, not to the day they were struck.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2024 8:16AM

@DrDarryl said:
    The correct answer is....

Is this an AI answer? 🤔

PNC always stood for Philatelic-Numismatic Cover.

And that's an answer from someone who was there and lived through it. ;)

JBK is correct. They were called Philatelic/Numismatic Covers. I never heard the "AI" terms used during the period when they were actually being issued.

However, now I am really concerned because not only did I read this on the internet but it was AI generated as well. ;)

All glory is fleeting.

They do half dollars as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes US coins dated 1965-1967 were struck in San Fransicco, Denver and Philadelphia without mint marks. And not nesessarily in the year indicated. Aug.1, 1966 was the first dated that coins dated 1966 were struck. On Jan.1, 1967 regular dating resumed. Half dollar coins dated 1965 were struck from Dec. 30, 1965-July 31,1966. The government froze the 1964 date on coins in 1964 which were minted as late as Mar.1966. or there abouts.
    Sorry, if the above dates are not exact, my memory is not that great. Someone can correct me if need be.
    There was a time when you could get a date stamp on a two dollar bill (in 1976, I believe) also with a stamp on it and the PO it was stamped at. I don't know if the PO will still do this for you.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 4:18AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file