Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Info/ help needed about a Chicago dealer

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2024 8:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone have any info about
Kedzie Koins in Chicago? excellent?? good??? etc???
especially about shipping cost for a less than $ 8 valued coin
H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 8:41PM

I remember that name from a few years ago on ebay. If the same seller I bought several times from them with no problems. Do not remember z/h. Hope this helps. I bought from them as jesbroken.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 10:32PM

Hi,
    Yes, very familiar with them.
    However, do not know about their shipping policies.
    Yes, Steve and Co. Have been at that same location for many, many years! At least 40-50 yrs.
    He is very fluiant in the business.
    He even runs a local show in Tinley Park, IL.
    Large one, at that too. Over 130 tables.
    Anyway, you can almost always meet him at Big Coin Shows. Anywhere in the U.S.
    You can't miss him, he'll be the guy with the BIGGEST table set-up!
    Huge!
    Very nice guy. Along with his staff.
    I know Steve for about 35 yrs.
    I would recommend him.
    GL.
    :)
    Their recent flyer.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping cost for anything has gotten very expensive. Just what do you want to know about the shipping cost?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today the cost to ship an $8 coin is the same as for a $100 coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 5:06AM

@YQQ shipping to Canada is very expensive, approx. $17 for tracked 1st class and customs label. For inexpensive coins that weigh less than 1 ounce and less than 1/8" thick, I place the coin in a 2x2 then a crown size flip then tape to middle of invoice / receipt then in #10 envelope. This method allows the "package" to go thru the sorting machines. No customs form and cost is less than $2.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large Illinois dealer, because they're local they setup at the ANA Rosemont shows with a huge selection.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know their shop, but know them from shows. Solid, no problems dealing with them.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

thanks for all your input here.
    The actual issue is NOT the $, but the following:
    They have a coin which I made an offer on. Ask is US$15. I offered US$ 15 incl. shipping to Canada via 1st class mail.
    envelope, 2x2 or similar etc..., no declaration needed.
    they came back telling me it cost them $ 15 to ship and called me rude... insurance etc....
    well, if you insure an $8 coin (its real top value) for which you ask 15 plus 15 to ship.???? I honestly believe there is something not right in someone's thinking....or am I out to lunch here?
    If the item should "get lost", it will cost the shipper a lot more than $15 on time, paperwork and effort to make a claim, right?
    Where is common sense here? Gone out the window???
    Perhaps it is one way of "increasing the values" of low-end coins. Am not surprised that young collectors are hard to find...they can not afford the shipping costs...OR is it, that the big guys are not willing to apply common sense?.
    Please understand I respect the need for insurance where and when it makes sense.
    H

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 10:48AM

You are at a cost disadvantage on this coin,
    because the shipping cost is high relative to the base value.

They have no incentive to pay for the shipping cost on a low value coin.

Another factor is that their $15 shipping charge may include the time for a person to package the coin and
    fill out the insurance forms. You are right that it could help if the have a non-insured option,
    but they would probably rather encourage larger coin values per package.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    You are at a cost disadvantage on this coin,
    because the shipping cost is high relative to the base value.

They have no incentive to pay for the shipping cost on a low value coin.

Another factor is that their $15 shipping charge may include the time for a person to package the coin and
    fill out the insurance forms. You are right that it could help if the have a non-insured option,
    but they would probably rather encourage larger coin values per package.

This pretty much sums up what the real situation probably is. Low value coins have become nothing more than money losers and sellers and buyers are tired of the problems they bring.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS has made low value coins rather hard to buy and sell through the mail. That said, $15 for shipping seems to be a discount from what USPS charges for a 3 ounce package to Canada. First class letter is less, but that's limited to being 1/4" thick, so forget about any padding or protection for the coin. Perhaps if you offer to accept all responsibility for loss or damage in transit, they'll wrap it up in some paper and tape it to the inside of an envelope and ship.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    They have a coin which I made an offer on. Ask is US$15. I offered US$ 15 incl. shipping to Canada via 1st class mail.

A declaration is needed, and first class in an envelope is not an acceptable way to ship a dutiable item. Sellers may do it and they may get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's legal. I've been asked to ship this way many times. The only answer I've ever given is no.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're letting yourself get worked up over an $8 coin. Just move on to the next one and if this $8 coin is something you'll never come across again and it's the rarest $8 coin there is then pay the $15 and grab an ultra rare $23 coin that seems like a steal to me.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just move along. Why spend the mental and emotional energy on something by so irrelevant

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion? The dealer has done nothing wrong. You don't want to pay what it is required to obtain this coin from this source, so move along.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life is too short to argue and stress about $30. Just buy the coin locally.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they also sell supplies or other coins you need, then you might be able to get them all shipped together in one box for the same shipping fee. That’s really the best way to purchase low value items that require shipping. I even do that when I order food to be delivered. I buy a few extra sandwiches that can be frozen when I buy some Jersey Mike sandwiches in order to bring down the delivery fee per sandwich.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@airplanenut said:
    A declaration is needed, and first class in an envelope is not an acceptable way to ship a dutiable item. Sellers may do it and they may get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's legal. I've been asked to ship this way many times. The only answer I've ever given is no.

please note: there is no duty nor taxes on Canadian coins shipped to Canada

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 8:06AM

@YQQ said:
    they came back telling me it cost them $ 15 to ship and called me rude... insurance etc....
    well, if you insure an $8 coin (its real top value) for which you ask 15 plus 15 to ship.???? I honestly believe there is something not right in someone's thinking....or am I out to lunch here?
    If the item should "get lost", it will cost the shipper a lot more than $15 on time, paperwork and effort to make a claim, right?
    Where is common sense here? Gone out the window???
    Perhaps it is one way of "increasing the values" of low-end coins. Am not surprised that young collectors are hard to find...they can not afford the shipping costs...OR is it, that the big guys are not willing to apply common sense?.
    Please understand I respect the need for insurance where and when it makes sense.
    H

Yes, you’re (partly) out to lunch in looking at it, more from your side of the transaction, than from the seller’s. You don’t like the seller’s choice, but that doesn’t mean you’re applying common sense and he’s not.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

most of you seem not to get it. I did say it is not the $$$$$ for me. I just used my real example.
    Question: whom are and many of you going to sell your coins to 5-20 years from now????
    Only to the ultra rich who do not care what it costs?
    kids will not or can not afford your coins....and your current clients have left us. Are you going to buy their collections back from the estate at HORRENDOUS PRICES ???
    Many of you are re-sellers / Dealeres who need to add all the extra expenses of buying on to the cost plus make a living. That also includes very unnecessary expensive shipping from your "supplier". then there is the young collector who does not have rich parents.....
    he/she is your bread and butter 10 years from now, or even sooner the way it looks, ....maybe NOT presently,,, but down the road......
    I am not young, nor rich.....
    I am sure you all get the issue...
    But here is another question: HOW did you start being a collector or dealer?
    Did you care about shipping costs being unreasonable? Were you paying $ 10 for shipping for that VF Buffalo Nickel worth $ 1?
    H

• Options

@YQQ said:
    most of you seem not to get it. I did say it is not the $$$$$ for me. I just used my real example.
    Question: whom are and many of you going to sell your coins to 5-20 years from now????
    kids will not or can not afford your coins....and your current clients have left us. Are you going to buy their collections back from the estate at HORRENDOUS PRICES ???
    Many of you are re-sellers / Dealeres who need to add all the extra expenses of buying on to the cost plus make a living. That also includes very unnecessary expensive shipping from your "supplier". then there is the young collector who does not have rich parents.....
    he/she is your bread and butter 10 years from now, or even sooner the way it looks, ....maybe NOT presently,,, but down the road......
    Did you care about shipping costs being unreasonable? Were you paying $ 10 for shipping for that VF Buffalo Nickel worth $ 1?
    H

If I were going to try to buy a Buffalo Nickel that I thought was worth just $1, I’d focus on options other than buying through the mail. And that’s because it’s not worth the time and effort for a seller to ship a $1 coin without being compensated, accordingly.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭

Can I ask what it is the $8 coin that you are trying to buy?

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Did you care about shipping costs being unreasonable?

How are unreasonable shipping costs the fault of any dealer? As soon as USPS offers free shipping, savvy dealers will be more than happy to pass that along. Instead, we get a 10% increase for a 1 oz domestic stamp next month.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2024 12:11PM

I said already at least two times that this is not about the money...
    I do not need the coin...it is not about an $8 or $ 1 coin, and the buff was only an example....
    I like to think that you all understood the issue.
    as a result, you will have a lot fewer clients a few years from now.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    I said already at least two times that this is not about the money...
    I do not need the coin...it is not about an $8 or $ 1 coin, and the buff was only an example....
    I like to think that you all understood the issue.
    as a result, you will have a lot fewer clients a few years from now.

You are saying that you believe high (international) shipping costs are going to have a negative impact on the number of collectors in the future (i.e., young collectors, deterred by shipping costs, will not develop into adult collectors).

Assuming my 'read' is correct, what do you believe should be done to mitigate the situation?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

@airplanenut said:

That is completely irrelevant. The USPS requires a customs document to be provided for all packages with goods that have a value, and the class of mail you are advocating using does not allow for that. What the destination country chooses to do with the customs information is their business. I ship with the USPS, not Canada Post or Canadian customs. As a shipper I am beholden to USPS policies.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I purchased a group of doily holders from them a while back, roughly a 7k purchase if I remember correctly. They were packaged nicely and shipped promptly. That was my one and only experience.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2024 11:17AM

@YQQ said:
    H

Part of collecting low value coins is the hassle of selling them someday. If you want to collect $1 or $8 coins and you enjoy it that's awesome but when it's your time to go those coins are going to be a nuisance to whoever inherits them or a nuisance to you if you tried to sell them yourself beforehand. That's why you see coins sold in lots when they're low value because the time, energy and cost to sell a $1 coin isn't worth it to anybody. It's a million times easier to sell (1) $1,000 coin than it is (1000) $1 coins.

So if you enjoy collecting those by all means continue doing so but don't expect to ever get your money back from them down the road.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

+1

And don’t expect many coin dealers to want to ship you an $8 coin, even if you do pay the postage.

Check out Ebay or flea markets for stuff at that price level. .

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

They’re doing the buyer a favor by even accepting an order like that. It’s a money loser for them all the way.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

Which doesn't mean you don't need a declaration!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭

I think we deserve to see the coin now

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if potential new collectors don't even bother to collect once they find out so many common coins in a set will never realize any return on their purchase. In other words why even bother to start a collection.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

so, it appears that most of you did not understand that the issue is NOT about about the coin.
    it is about the already inflated prices of low end coins being further inflated by dealers who are not willing to use a low cost shipping option, even at the buyers risk, claiming they will only ship insured, as they had "previous issues".
    Does not make sense at all. What are they afraid of? Perhaps taking a very, very small risk of loosing a buck?
    ** 1960NYGiants** "hit the nail on the head." with his comments.
    what is wrong with sticking a 2x2 in an envelope or bubble envelope, stick the appropriate postage on it and mail a coin? this is how it was done with low cost coins not all that long ago.
    H

• Options

@YQQ said:
    so, it appears that most of you did not understand that the issue is NOT about about the coin.
    it is about the already inflated prices of low end coins being further inflated by dealers who are not willing to use a low cost shipping option, even at the buyers risk, claiming they will only ship insured, as they had "previous issues".
    Does not make sense at all. What are they afraid of? Perhaps taking a very, very small risk of loosing a buck?
    what is wrong with sticking a 2x2 in an envelope or bubble envelope, stick the appropriate postage on it and mail a coin? this is how it was done with low cost coins not all that long ago.
    H

It's not that most posters failed to understand the issue. It's that they didn't necessarily agree with your position.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    H

Have no idea if it changed recently. And, I realize that people do not always follow the rules.

That said, USPS shipments to Canada that contain coins are only supposed to be sent in insured parcels.

Source: https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm

In contrast, intra-US USPS shipments that contain "currency" can be sent using any class of mail, except where prohibited by standards.

Source: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm

So, it appears that the international aspect is complicating the issue.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Honest question: if the dealer had initially priced the coin at $30 with free shipping to you, would you be posting here about their outrageous and unfair prices, or would you have simply said to yourself, “Price is too high,” and moved on?

Sometimes you and a dealer simply can’t meet on a price that seems fair to you both. In those instances it’s best to just walk away.

• Options
    bretsanbretsan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Kenzie coins typically has a great selection. I’ve bought from them but only at local Chicago suburban coin shows. I’ve never bought from them online.

• Options

@YQQ said:

So your issue seems to be with US and Canadian postal systems as well as customs regulations. Appropriate postage on a 2x2 in a bubble envelope is $15 to Canada. Not all that long ago, it wasn't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file