Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WLHHalf….only 28 PO01 PCGS graded? Is this PO01?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

1920 S

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

Looks way better than PO01 to me,

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2024 6:35PM

Looks significantly stronger than what I would expect for a 1 as well. It has a lot of wear obviously but looking at a 1 true view this seems to be more of a 3/4 coin to my eyes. But I could certainly be wrong (outside of my lane grading walkers haha)

Edited to add: here is a pic of a graded PO-01 for comparison.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think it's difficult to get a PO1 WLH because the date wore off so quickly.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were any more worn, one wouldn’t be able to determine the date and/or mintmark. :#

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandRarities said:
    Looks significantly stronger than what I would expect for a 1 as well. It has a lot of wear obviously but looking at a 1 true view this seems to be more of a 3/4 coin to my eyes. But I could certainly be wrong (outside of my lane grading walkers haha)

I'm curious how it was determined to be 1917 and not 1916 because I don't see any visible numbers in the date. Is there something unique about the mintmark placement in 1917 that distinguishes it from 1916?

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:

@NewEnglandRarities said:

I'm curious how it was determined to be 1917 and not 1916 because I don't see any visible numbers in the date. Is there something unique about the mintmark placement in 1917 that distinguishes it from 1916?

Being no expert on the series, I assume there is a die marker or some design that confirms the date/mm. My search to look at a PO-01 brought up this pic. Not sure when it was graded, which could be a factor as well. But I notice a lot more detail on the OP coin, versus the graded 1. Again, not my area of expertise but my understanding is if there are clear indicators of the date/mm based on dies they will grade a coin with no date. Maybe I’m wrong on that , but certainly the way it is for colonials or Americana

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll get a San Francisco mm on it either way...

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭

"only"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't determine the date on a modern coin (after 1900), it's not a PR-01.

Dr. Sheldon commented that a BS-01 (Basal State, same thing as Poor) did not necessarily have a readable date. In early large cents that is possible because other die variety features can be used to attribute the Sheldon variety, hence the date.

I've had experience with this. Years ago a collector gave me four dateless, Draped Bust large cents. There was enough left to determine the Sheldon numbers and the date.

The 1799, S-189 large cent is famous for having a "mint mark." There is a die chip on the reverse, between the "E" and "T" in "CENT" that goes larger over time. That lump can be used to attribute the piece as a 1799. I saw an experienced dealer pay $1,600 for such a piece at a Baltimore show.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair 02. Not even close to Poor 01.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Fair 02. Not even close to Poor 01.

It's closer to a P01 than an AG03

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t realize that there were now 28 PCGS graded po01 graded WL halves. Nickelsearcher had the first one

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file