Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2000-P Sacagawea Rolls - Open or Save

Hello All ~ I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place and/or use incorrect terminology.
Anyway...I have 7 $25 rolls "Direct from the US Mint" of Sacagawea dollars. All were purchased from the same bank at approximately the same time. They should all be 2000-P coins, however, 3 of the rolls show the reverse side on both ends of the roll, instead of the face on one end and the reverse on the other. So, I am unsure if the 3 rolls are 2000-P Sacs [most likely are but I suppose you never know]. Is this a common anomaly?

Since they are still in the original rolls from the US Mint, I suspect I have a few options and was hoping to get some expert advice regarding these.

I also have 3 each of Polk and Tyler Presidential Dollars - 2009 - $25 rolls from N.F. String & Son, Inc. Harrisburg, Pa, U.S.A. which from what I can tell did not have many, if any, flaws or tremendous interest. Likewise, I am looking for any insight.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like these?

Look at the eBay results for finished auctions of those rolls. Leave it for another twenty-five years. Out of a couple hundred of those 2000p Sac rolls—I kept zilch.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much premium on these. Common as dirt.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Perhaps you could find one of these…

“Mint” wrapped rolls (actual mints inside)…

• Options

Rip ‘er open now:

Seriously:

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 9:03AM

If they're solid date/mm uncirculated rolls I would not expect to find any Cheerios Dollars in them. ;)

• Options
    edited June 17, 2024 1:49PM

I know.

@JBK said:
    If they're solid date/mm uncirculated rolls i would not expect to find any Cheerios Dollars in them. ;)

• Options

It’s hard to resist the baby horn monkey on my back, too.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't hurt looking for something like these as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open them up and do the search, ya never know.
    A lot better then selling them and NOT knowing
    Have fun

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of the early Sacajawea Mint rolls. I keep them in glass jars with large desiccant cartridges in them. I plan on leaving them like that for decades. I think the alloy mix is going to make Sacajawea dollars prone to discoloration/environmental damage from exposure to humidity and a couple of decades from now people will like having some pristine ones.

Mr_Spud

• Options

Thank you all for the insightful information and your opinions.
    I think I will go ahead and crack the rolls open and see if perhaps I have won a lifetime supply of chocolate and a tour of the Wonka Chocolate Factory... :'(B)
    As a novice - Before I do the dirty deed...are there any recommendations to preserve the integrity, etc. I guess what I am asking - since these are "uncirculated" and there is proof of their source (wrapper), IF I were to find a 'winner' (sounds like probably not) how do I ensure maximum value...or, maybe I wait and see if I have one and then ask next steps.
    All in all, Thanks again for sharing!

• Options
    edited June 18, 2024 5:08AM

You can give the keepers an acetone bath. Acetone will remove any grime, invisible finger prints or oils. Then put them in 2x2 flips. Hold the coins by the edge. Show us pictures of the coins after you open them. Good luck!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

PS - I think I will do the same for the Tyler and Polk presidential dollars as well, although it does not appear there is as much interest in them (due to quantity produced?) nor does there appear to be many errors to look for.
    Thoughts on the presidential dollars would be appreciated too. Thanks!

• Options

@CPHucki said:

Those will go quickly. Just scan the obverse and reverse for things like struck-throughs or die cracks, and view the edge lettering all the way around for missing, doubled, or skipped lettering.

As as already suggested, only hold them by the edges. The alloy is not forgiving to skin oils.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 8:24AM

Keep in mind.
    After opening. You can play the Registry game?
    Meaning, collectors are always looking for those High, high graded coins!
    Meaning, if one or two, should happen to appear ms 68, 69 or 70.
    You will be in the money, if you would further your finds?
    Good Luck, in your endeavors!
    One more thing...
    There are also "Missing Edge Letters" too! On the 2000p's.
    BIG Premiums.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@CPHucki said:

Look for this one.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

Look for this one.

I've got to search my own stash for that one.

But the OP had said:

I also have 3 each of Polk and Tyler Presidential Dollars - 2009 - $25 rolls from N.F. String & Son, Inc. Harrisburg.

As far as I know the extra long ray is on GW dollars only (?).

• Options

@JBK said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

I've got to search my own stash for that one.

But the OP had said:

I also have 3 each of Polk and Tyler Presidential Dollars - 2009 - $25 rolls from N.F. String & Son, Inc. Harrisburg.

As far as I know the extra long ray is on GW dollars only (?).

That's correct. As far as I know, just the GW dollar.

Also, as far as I know I don't believe there is anything significant about the Polk and Tyler Presidential Dollars.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

Look for this one.

Did you finally locate one of these to buy?

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    The only upside would be to search for a Wounded eagle:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-wounded-eagle/506153

Very unlikely he'd find a cheerio dollar since these are rolls from the mint. Unless somehow they got mixed in with the circulating dollars.

• Options

In one 2000 P roll about two-thirds of the coins had the baby horn, but they were underdeveloped nubs.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

Look for this one.

No, I would never buy one.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 2:51PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

Look for this one.

No, I would never buy one.

I am sorry about that, I remembered this thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1095696/looking-for-the-owner-of-this-anacs-graded-2007-p-washington-elongated-ray-ms-66#latest
    and thought for some reason that you wanted to buy one. One's memory is never perfect.

Did you find that 64 in circulation?

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@CPHucki said:

Did you find that 64 in circulation?

Yes, I found that 64 in circulation. I never found the owner of that ANACS MS66.... I'm still looking.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 7:06PM

@KiwiNumi said:

@ProofCollection said:
    The only upside would be to search for a Wounded eagle:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2000-p-sac-1-wounded-eagle/506153

Very unlikely he'd find a cheerio dollar since these are rolls from the mint. Unless somehow they got mixed in with the circulating dollars.

No, they are called Cheerios dollars for a reason. But I posted a Wounded Eagle Variety which is randomly findable, not the Cheerios variety which is only found in cereal.

• Options

@CPHucki - If you're as interested in small dollars as it seems, this website will give you everything you need and want to know about small dollars.

http://www.smalldollars.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file