Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS67

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I sent it in, PR66 :D
    Since someone else sent it in I'll say PR67+. Very nice! There does appear to be a small spot of haze above the I of Liberty but not distracting.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the series and I have no idea if this is a good strike or a bad strike. I see an awful lot of movement on the hnd and thigh but I'm too much of a coward to guess 58.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof, not mint state, and it looks to be a high grade example - 67 or better.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 8:36AM

I’m at PF 66
    Nice coin!
    >
    Edited to add proof designation.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR 66

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 7:04AM

PF 67 and nice, it appears to be nearly haze free.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR66+

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 8:03AM

67+ if that mark by liberty's foot is on the holder. If it is on the coin, then 65+ or 66. Maybe cameo.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

PR66. Has a lot of cameo contrast, but I’m guessing it didn’t get the CAM designation.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67 CAC

• Options
    steve_richardsonsteve_richardson Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I’m also going with PR67

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't guess since I know this coin. Attractive piece!

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67. Doesn't deserve a CAM designation.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I saw this on GC a few days ago, so I'd be cheating if I guessed.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pr67

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 with possible Cameo designation

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR66.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF67 or PR66+.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67 ... no CAM but has frost

Nice coin

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

One can not grade proof coins from a photo.

The above being said, I will opine that (assuming the photo shows how the coin looks in hand) the pictured 1942 proof half dollar is not a Cameo (the fields are impaired and portions of the devices on both sides are not frosted). As for the numerical grade, I opine a 66+.

A very attractive coin.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    One can not grade proof coins from a photo.

I'll use this as my excuse.

@lermish said:
    I don't know the series and I have no idea if this is a good strike or a bad strike. I see an awful lot of movement on the hnd and thigh but I'm too much of a coward to guess 58.

Yikes :#

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF 66 (from what is seen only in the photo).

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

Hmmm....This is a very strange answer to me. What the heck do you mean "movement on the hand and thigh" ? Also, I assume you can tell this is a proof coin, and your gut reaction of 58 is startling to me.....I don't think I've ever seen a graded PF-58 Walker....ever.

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    @lermish said:

Hmmm....This is a very strange answer to me. What the heck do you mean "movement on the hand and thigh" ? Also, I assume you can tell this is a proof coin, and your gut reaction of 58 is startling to me.....I don't think I've ever seen a graded PF-58 Walker....ever.

Clearly I was very, very, **VERY **wrong. My primary series is trade dollars and I'm used to seeing impaired proofs all day long.

But here is what I saw which looks like "circulation" to me. (I owned a HR Saint graded 58 that looked essentially identical; pristine fields, it clearly never circulated, but just enough sliding/friction to move it down to an AU.)

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will guess PR67+
    What a fantastic strike with amazing detail.
    They don't come much better than this one.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's proven that I am not a great proof coin grade estimator from past posts, but I could not imagine this being less than PF67. It is certainly a beautiful speciman regardless of grade.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    66 with possible Cameo designation

+1

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67+

• Options

PR67 CAM

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭

I have really hard time grading proofs from photos, but 66 or 67 seems likely and it has some frost on the sun, but probably not enough for CAM. Vertical mark in front of back foot on slab?

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67. Nice untoned proof example.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 5:13PM

@FlyingAl said:

@lermish said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    @lermish said:

Clearly I was very, very, **VERY **wrong. My primary series is trade dollars and I'm used to seeing impaired proofs all day long.

But here is what I saw which looks like "circulation" to me. (I owned a HR Saint graded 58 that looked essentially identical; pristine fields, it clearly never circulated, but just enough sliding/friction to move it down to an AU.)

Those are just planchet flaws. Commonly seen on nearly every Proof Walker.

Why are flawed planchets being used to mint proofs? My understanding is that the planchets are polished as well in striking proofs. Even if they are not, why aren't they being obliterated by the greater striking pressure and multiple strikes? I don't collect proofs but that contradicts my understanding of how proofs are made.

PR65

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a CAM Walker, have been for a long time. I have been offered several from auction houses or major dealers over the years, but I still have yet to see a fully frosted one I would agree is a CAM. Same for Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes.

In my opinion the TPG's are significantly more lenient on the CAM designation for 1936-1942 coins than they are for the earlier proofs I collect (Barber & Morgan).

• Options
    edited June 11, 2024 6:11PM

Assuming the coin in hand looks like it does in the photo of the coin in the PCGS slab I am surprised the 1942 proof half received a Cameo designation. It appears to have impaired fields and is lacking frost on the sun and on other portions of the devices.

When I envision a Cameo proof Walker Skyman's 1938 comes to mind. In hand that coin looks like a Cameo or even DCAM/UCAM proof ASE. Perhaps my brilliant/cameo dividing line for proof Walkers is too high.

Further, even though the 1936-42 era is different from the 1950-64 era, my own experience in having what I consider multiple lock Cameo proof Franklins not receive the designation (I have posted photos of these coins before) reinforces my opinion that the pictured 1942 half does not warrant a Cameo designation.

Of course if I saw the 1942 half in hand under good lighting I might change my mind.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 11:20PM

Alex,
    I thought robec and I nailed it!

"66 with possible Cameo designation"

BUT
    As you showed us, one of the pics got the CAM designation and one didn't. So how is one to know what they will or won't do on any given day? Too much inconsistency if you ask me.
    Congrats on the coin

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Alex,

BUT
    As you showed us, one of the pics got the CAM designation and one didn't. So how is one to know what they will or won't do on any given day? Too much inconsistency if you ask me.
    Congrats on the coin

Nailing it would have required omission of that little word “possible”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:
    Alex,

BUT
    Congrats on the coin

Nailing it would have required omission of that little word “possible”.

Le roi a parlé!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you mention when this coin was graded? With as many striations showing I would not think this one would pass the smell test, these days.

And of course the Cam would explain the lower grade because let’s face it you can’t have both.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 5:16AM

@FlyingAl said:
    Here's the $15,000 reveal - this coin is:

@Barberian said:
    Why are flawed planchets being used to mint proofs? My understanding is that the planchets are polished as well in striking proofs. Even if they are not, why aren't they being obliterated by the greater striking pressure and multiple strikes? I don't collect proofs but that contradicts my understanding of how proofs are made.

PR65

Proofs were struck once on a medal press. Some of what you're seeing could also be die damage, but it's an early strike. It's a high point on the dies and it's pretty minor overall, so I'd say it's totally probable a few minor nicks show through from pre-strike defects.

The difference between a medal press and a coin press being greater striking pressure, I assume. I would be disappointed if that was my proof, but I don't collect proofs to be able to make proper comparisons. I hadn't noticed that these hits are also on proofs.

If you're thinking "this guy is clueless", that's par for the course as I tend to conflate minor issues into major problems in other aspects of grading, anyway, so why not multiple small hits on the high points of proofs. Thanks.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based solely on the pictures provided in the OP I would agree with what @SanctionII posted. However, I believe deference is given to proofs from this era, they aren't graded as strictly as post-1950 coins are. Another "however" is that the PCGS graders had the advantage of seeing the coin sans plastic. I guess that means the coin seems properly graded.

• Options

Thank you guys for showing me how much I do not know about Morgans and old silver proofs. Seriously.

• Options

As a follow up to my earlier reply, here are photos of some of the Proof Franklins I had graded last year that did not receive a Cameo designation. If these coins do not warrant a Cameo designation then I do not think the 1942 Proof Walker shown in this thread warrants a Cameo designation (of course reasonable minds may differ; my opinion is based solely upon the photographs of the coins; and my opinion may change if I saw the 1942 half dollar in hand).

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@FlyingAl said:
    Here's the $15,000 reveal - this coin is:

@Barberian said:

PR65

Proofs were struck once on a medal press. Some of what you're seeing could also be die damage, but it's an early strike. It's a high point on the dies and it's pretty minor overall, so I'd say it's totally probable a few minor nicks show through from pre-strike defects.

The difference between a medal press and a coin press being greater striking pressure, I assume. I would be disappointed if that was my proof, but I don't collect proofs to be able to make proper comparisons. I hadn't noticed that these hits are also on proofs.

If you're thinking "this guy is clueless", that's par for the course as I tend to conflate minor issues into major problems in other aspects of grading, anyway, so why not multiple small hits on the high points of proofs. Thanks.

Not thinking that at all. It's a fair question, since it's only really a problem for this era of Proofs. Yes - more pressure and slower speed on a medal press.

Coin Photographer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file