Home U.S. Coin Forum

Totally random CAC submission of PCGS 1938-D Buffs, mostly MS66 - results posted in OP!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2024 6:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, how random??

I bought these because I needed the slabs for my PCGS generation set. They were NOT selected for eye appeal, upgrade potential, or any other reason.

So, of the randomly purchased slabs, 29 of which were submitted recently, how many do you think stickered?? Results were posted today.

ANSWER:

17 "passed". I'm assuming all are green?? 12 rejected.

I'm pleasently surprised, given how they were acquired!

Questions re: Generations - some of us look at the labels differently than PCGS does. I include the 4 "retro" labels (white, doily, green, blue), for example, whereas PCGS doesn't. Styles might be a better description than generations.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

random guess of 14

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭✭

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC says they have stickered 42% submitted. Buffalo nickels have grade inflated more than some other series.

I will guess 20.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be the pessimist. 6.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

23-25

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if CAC standards are true, then 2/3rds, so 20. But the "we sticker A & B coins" has never been true, so I think 7.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given that these were MS66 1938-Ds - six or seven

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 10:30PM

I say 40% since this is a completely random blind submission so 12.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 3:51AM

This is the oddest game yet. I randomly bought some coins you can't see for their holders. How many stickered?

Has anyone taken 19 yet?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 3:54AM

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Well, if CAC standards are true, then 2/3rds, so 20. But the "we sticker A & B coins" has never been true, so I think 7.

Why isn't it true?

The confusion is more over the existence of D&F coins and the distribution in the bands. [Not to mention the undergraded gold stickers. ] They never claimed to be stickering 2/3 of coins. People just interpret the ABC that way.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing the OP’s Midas Touch, I’ll go big at 23 green and 4 gold.

Tim

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are all 29 coins 1938-D Buffs? So how many different generation holders are there incorporated into this exercise?

Grading has a subjective component so handicapping the outcome just has a different level of subjectivity. Good luck and hopefully you obtained the outcome you were seeking.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Even though you say they were not carefully selected I suspect your hobby experience would yield a better than 40% result regardless.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 6:17AM

0, I'll take the outlandish chance they've all been to CAC and failed.

Coin Photographer.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Why isn't it true?

The confusion is more over the existence of D&F coins and the distribution in the bands. [Not to mention the undergraded gold stickers. ] They never claimed to be stickering 2/3 of coins. People just interpret the ABC that way.

It's interpreted that way because if you assume ABC coins exist, then the natural distribution would be equal in theory. No one ever claimed that 50% of any population is "C" coins. No one ever claimed that D&F coins exist.

This is from CAC themselves.

So again, if the distribution is equal, and the default assumption must be that it is, then CAC would sticker 2/3rds of any random sample of coins.

They clearly don't though. 42% was mentioned up thread and that represents coins prescreened for quality, so a random sample would be less than that, say 20%.

So, now we're back to your ABCDE theory, which has no basis in anything represented to the public. However, if they only sticker 20%, then maybe that's the standard they actually use but don't disclose. The alternative would be that CAC doesn't regard ABC coins to be equally distributed, with "C" coins representing 75-80% of any random population.

Either way, the ABC criteria for stickering coins is clearly BS. The bottom line is that they sticker coins JA likes and nothing more.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    0, I'll take the outlandish chance they've all been to CAC and failed.

I like this guess. So I'll guess 29.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Why isn't it true?

It's interpreted that way because if you assume ABC coins exist, then the natural distribution would be equal in theory. No one ever claimed that 50% of any population is "C" coins. No one ever claimed that D&F coins exist.

So again, if the distribution is equal, and the default assumption must be that it is, then CAC would sticker 2/3rds of any random sample of coins.

They clearly don't though. 42% was mentioned up thread and that represents coins prescreened for quality, so a random sample would be less than that, say 20%.

So, now we're back to your ABCDE theory, which has no basis in anything represented to the public. However, if they only sticker 20%, then maybe that's the standard they actually use but don't disclose. The alternative would be that CAC doesn't regard ABC coins to be equally distributed, with "C" coins representing 75-80% of any random population.

Either way, the ABC criteria for stickering coins is clearly BS. The bottom line is that they sticker coins JA likes and nothing more.

The overall sticker percentage is irrelevant. This is a cheap coin that most probably wouldn’t even consider spending the money to get stickered. It’s like how it’s easy to get green and gold stickers on the majority of old holder merc dimes. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have saints in 66 or pioneer where the sticker percentage might be 5% total. The average is skewed by both extremes.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Why isn't it true?

The overall sticker percentage is irrelevant. This is a cheap coin that most probably wouldn’t even consider spending the money to get stickered. It’s like how it’s easy to get green and gold stickers on the majority of old holder merc dimes. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have saints in 66 or pioneer where the sticker percentage might be 5% total. The average is skewed by both extremes.

Understood, but my point is, it should matter. CAC advertises it stickers A & B coins, on an ABC scale. The implication is, they're distributed equally. Take the 66 Saints for example - Are 95% of them "C" coins? That's how it works out according to CAC standards. In the end, it's all highly subjective despite the "scientific" ABC criteria. They should sticker them JAL (JA Likes). At least that's more up front in my opinion.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 2:26PM

@Connecticoin said:
    20 with 5 gold

To add: I think the 5 gold ones will come from the pool of rare holders (i.e. "PCGS white 108 rattlers" and "no bar code white and black NGC fattys), while the high sticker percent for the rest result from the subject coins being 38-D Buffalos (of which most MS coins are very nice), and the OPs capability of selecting nice for the grade coins (despite his comments to the contrary).

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Percentages of cac success is higher at 66 and above, so I'd guess 2/3 success with a couple couple golds where the upgrade is not that advantageous.

• CircCamCircCam Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭

38-D buffs are so plentiful that I’m going to guess the nicest ones made the mediocre ones look drab. I’m guessing 10 green, 1 gold.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 2:43PM

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 green.
    Two gold.

peacockcoins

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

So, of the randomly purchased slabs, 29 of which were submitted recently, how many do you think stickered?? Results were posted today.

29? That's a lot of generations!

Grading 1938-D's are a specialty in their own right, since there are so many of them, so I will go out on a limb and say
    0 Gold, 10 Green

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answer in the OP!

Enjoying Long Beach, but haven't found anything to buy yet!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost 60% is a rather significant increase from the average. 👍🏻

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file