Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just made a top POP (1/0) buffalo two feather!

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade came in this afternoon! Cherry picked out of a recent Heritage auction, although one of my fellow bidders saw what I saw and ran it up 3X the none variety price. Still a multi-fold upside from the purchase price. At one point I had made a top POP 1919-P, although it wasn't alone, but that had to be sold. To this day I wish I had found a way to keep that one. Hoping this one can stay in the collection, well, forever.

Below is the Heritage image, which leaves a good bit to be desired. It is a very lustrous, relatively well struck, and mark free example with a goldish toning that I find very pleasing. The chatter in the image of the buffalo's shoulder are marks on the holder. While I did order a Truview, based on comments on the boards, we'll see how much that adds to the discussion.

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2024 6:31PM

Awesome!
    The 1918p's are very difficult to find in a "2-Feather".
    Nice find and result.
    ;)
    Wait??
    Are you kidding me?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is demand for them this high to justify auction prices?

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done - congrats!

And you have a "+" too!!!
    Wow!
    Super Congratulations, dude.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a serious tough one - CONGRATS!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

OUTSTANDING!! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done congrats

Many happy BST transactions
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats!

Does this call for a “You Suck” nomination?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Wow, congrats!

Does this call for a “You Suck” nomination?

I would say so. The "YOU SUCK" has often drifted off though, and it's rare to see them.

Coin Photographer.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing that has gone undiscovered for so long!
    Must be fairly new to the market... Congrats.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Next stop...CAC.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Auction it again.
    But this time...
    ;)

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Russ would say You suck!.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2024 1:04AM

I need a refresher. So a 1/0 is the highest and only one graded for that grade? What would the indicator be for the one and only coin graded for the entire series? Would it still be 1/0?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job, I just love it when ALL the pros missed this one :)

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I need a refresher. So a 1/0 is the highest and only one graded for that grade? What would the indicator be for one and only coin graded for the entire series? Would it still be 1/0?

Correct, it is the same.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherry-picking Heritage ? Say it isn't so ? Even Coloneljessup would be impressed, although I cannot speak for him ( I like to think he'd commend you, too).

• VetterVetter Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done sir!

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add my "You Suck" to the others. Congrats.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Great looking 1918, they do not get much better looking than that, but a clear two feather to boot, that is Special. congrats.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I see a few tiny marks on the obverse, so in the interest of the other high graded coins it's probably best that we don't acknowledge this as a top pop and just claim it doesn't exist. ;)

In all seriousness though great find! I'm sure you were on the edge of your seat when the lot came up.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

But... I see part of a feather. Why do some "two feathers" get a pass where others don't? Particularly one that is this valuable.

Collector, occasional seller

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the get.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    But... I see part of a feather. Why do some "two feathers" get a pass where others don't? Particularly one that is this valuable.

It appears there is some leeway, but this one is on the pushing it end of the leeway. I'd say the Heritage photos are exaggerating what's actually there.

Coin Photographer.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on such a nice addition to your collection 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bufffan said:
    Great looking 1918, they do not get much better looking than that, but a clear two feather to boot, that is Special. congrats.

True. 1918-P is notorious for a lightly struck obverse that affects the braid area, making the knot lack in detail.

To have a nicely struck center, and the 2 feather is a nice premium.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done! And a big gamble paying 3xs the non variety, because as stated, this one could've went either way. I seem to see alot of the third feather. Can't wait to see the True view.
    Congrats

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@ChrisH821 said:

A good question that I have also wondered about. One theory might be that because some coins classified as 2-feathers, 1919-D, 26-D 27-D , 28-S (there may be more) exhibit a partial feather but still get the 2F designation, some graders may extend the same attribution even to those years where no trace of the third feather are known. Another is that some photographs do exaggerate the strength of the small feather, an issue I have encountered when photographing some 3-1/2 leggers and are best judged in hand. In any case, a gutsy move by Alain to bid 3x the standard price of his 1918 in hopes of getting the variety designation. Glad it worked out for him. Personally, I avoid bidding on borderline coins for years where true 2 feathers are known. More likely to gamble on 3hls in those cases.

• ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2024 9:48AM

And the Truview. Not horrible IMO, although I suppose I should reverse final comment until the coin is back in hand. With regards to the comments about the feather remnant, yes it is there, but minimal. Perhaps the HA photo left a bit to the imagination and the Truview will present a more detailed picture.

For all matters of buffalo abraded dies, I reference Ron Pope's book as the definitive source, and his work acknowledges at least two dies for the 1918. One of the photos in his book trace back to the Truview for one of the 64s (different cert numbers from book/HA auction to current cert, but easily identifiable as same coin by spots in reverse fields). The other 64 in Coinfacts sold in DLRC auctions (twice) has same stub where hairline meets neck. Ditto for both (PCGS and NGC) of the 63s (I believe the POP 2 for PCGS are the same coin, resubmitted). Certainly some of the lower grade examples appear to be more 'naked' but both services have recognized this variety as legit. As a two feather collector, I am certainly content to consider this one of the 'true' variety. Put another way, would anyone name this a 2 1/2 feather?

edited June 6, 2024 10:47AM

😆
    You know what?
    :*
    Come to think of it? I too, have a 1918p 2-Feather, lying around somewhere!

@ad4400 said:
    And the Truview. Not horrible IMO, although I suppose I should reverse final comment until the coin is back in hand. With regards to the comments about the feather remnant, yes it is there, but minimal. Perhaps the HA photo left a bit to the imagination and the Truview will present a more detailed picture.

For all matters of buffalo abraded dies, I reference Ron Pope's book as the definitive source, and his work acknowledges at least two dies for the 1918. One of the photos in his book trace back to the Truview for one of the 64s (different cert numbers from book/HA auction to current cert, but easily identifiable as same coin by spots in reverse fields). The other 64 in Coinfacts sold in DLRC auctions (twice) has same stub where hairline meets neck. Ditto for both (PCGS and NGC) of the 63s (I believe the POP 2 for PCGS are the same coin, resubmitted). Certainly some of the lower grade examples appear to be more 'naked' but both services have recognized this variety as legit. As a two feather collector, I am certainly content to consider this one of the 'true' variety. Put another way, would anyone name this a 2 1/2 feather?

Feather fragment is much less apparent in TV than in original photo. No way would I call it a 2-1/2 F. Not as big a gamble as I originally thought.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that this might seem silly, but which Buffalo dates have a two feather variety?

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    I know that this might seem silly, but which Buffalo dates have a two feather variety?

1913-D Type I 2 Feathers FS-401
    1913-S Type I 2 Feathers FS-401
    1915 2 Feathers FS-401
    1915-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1916 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1918 2 Feathers FS-401
    1918-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1919 2 Feathers
    1919-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1919-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1921 2 Feathers FS-401
    1921-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1923 2 Feathers FS-401
    1925-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1925-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1926-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1927-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1927-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1928-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1929-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1930-S 2 Feathers FS-401

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@CRHer700 said:

1913-D Type I 2 Feathers FS-401
    1913-S Type I 2 Feathers FS-401
    1915 2 Feathers FS-401
    1915-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1916 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1917-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1918 2 Feathers FS-401
    1918-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1919 2 Feathers
    1919-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1919-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1920-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1921 2 Feathers FS-401
    1921-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1923 2 Feathers FS-401
    1925-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1925-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1926-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1927-D 2 Feathers FS-401
    1927-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1928-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1929-S 2 Feathers FS-401
    1930-S 2 Feathers FS-401

Thanks.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice that only 5 dates were from the main mint at Philadelphia. Denver and San Francisco had a finite amount of nickel dies on hand because all the dies were made at the Philadelphia Mint and shipped to the branch mints for use.

Any clashed die damage at San Francisco and Denver had to be abraded to remove the clash marks so the dies could be put back into production, as there was a finite supply of dies at any time and mintage totals had to be reached with existing stock.

Because Philadelphia made the dies, they didn't have to worry about die clashes, as they just removed the damaged dies and made new ones on the spot.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Notice that only 5 dates were from the main mint at Philadelphia. Denver and San Francisco had a finite amount of nickel dies on hand because all the dies were made at the Philadelphia Mint and shipped to the branch mints for use.

Any clashed die damage at San Francisco and Denver had to be abraded to remove the clash marks so the dies could be put back into production, as there was a finite supply of dies at any time and mintage totals had to be reached with existing stock.

Because Philadelphia made the dies, they didn't have to worry about die clashes, as they just removed the damaged dies and made new ones on the spot.

Pete

Good point, but I count 8.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file