Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1956 25C FS-901 is a tough coin! I've been hunting for a raw MS66.

This is a really tough coin to find! I've submitted eight of these to various grading companies over the past year, but the best I've found so far is MS65...

The latest attempt is quite nice, original surfaces and attractively toned...

**Please feel free to share your FS-901 Type B Washingtons, too! **

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type B reverse? Easiest PUP is the A in Dollar touching the leaf. Those are indeed not super easy to find for that date.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Very nice coin!
    I think this coin would grade MS66.

Is this variety found in the '56 mint set or BU rolls (mixed in with normal 56P quarters)?

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:
    Very nice coin!
    I think this coin would grade MS66.

Is this variety found in the '56 mint set or BU rolls (mixed in with normal 56P quarters)?

Thank you! I think it will be close... I'm afraid it has just one too many contact marks for MS66, but we will see.

I believe the 1956 FS-901 are found only mixed with normal 56P quarters, but I could be wrong. I have yet to find one in a mint set... This particular one was purchased individually.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice coin and agree that 56s are difficult to find in any UNC condition. Unless your coin has blazing luster, it would get me a 65 or 64. The good thing is even 64s pay for grading fees which can not be said for most other type Bs.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    That is a nice coin and agree that 56s are difficult to find in any UNC condition. Unless your coin has blazing luster, it would get me a 65 or 64. The good thing is even 64s pay for grading fees which can not be said for most other type Bs.

I'm hoping for at least MS65... I've got 4 PCGS MS64 and 1 PCGS MS65 already. I think this one is better than my current MS65 - though it still may not be good enough for an MS66...

A PCGS MS64 is probably $100, so I'd having paid $100 each for them raw I just lose the grading fee if I get a MS64.

MS64

MS65

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2009 I went into my LCS in NJ and he had a BU roll.of 1956 quarters. I went through the roll and found that 17 of the quarters were Type B. I told him but he still let me buy it as a Silver play.
    Over the next 10 years I had all but 1 graded... 5 66's, 10 65's, and 1 64. I still have , what I viewed as the best one, tucked away somewhere. It has.toned beautifully the last 16 years.

Not sure if I have it imaged...

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    In 2009 I went into my LCS in NJ and he had a BU roll.of 1956 quarters. I went through the roll and found that 17 of the quarters were Type B. I told him but he still let me buy it as a Silver play.
    Over the next 10 years I had all but 1 graded... 5 66's, 10 65's, and 1 64. I still have , what I viewed as the best one, tucked away somewhere. It has.toned beautifully the last 16 years.

Really nice coin and awesome back story! Makes me want to start hunting BU rolls.

Is the one you posted the best one that you had tucked away, or is that a different one?

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the one tucked away... that photo is a few years away. It is in the safe somewhere. It is a gorgeous coin. Very lustrous.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maxvan1 - Can I ask what you're looking for in these pictures?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Maxvan1Maxvan1 Posts: 36
    edited June 8, 2024 4:25PM

@OAKSTAR said:

Just highlighting the dings under a microscope... The bump on the nose, touch on the brow, chip on the wing. They show much less to the naked eye than when under microscope.

Although -- I bought several more BU 1956 Type B Washington's last week, and I think I found a business strike of 1956 25C PR WDDO-001. I will post pictures of that one later today...

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maxvan1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Just highlighting the dings under a microscope... The bump on the nose, touch on the brow, chip on the wing. They show much less to the naked eye than when under microscope.

Although -- I bought several more BU 1956 Type B Washington's last week, and I think I found a business strike of 1956 25C PR WDDO-001. I will post pictures of that one later today...

Okay, thanks.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

gtg of a couple just posted from my economy submission

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file