Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this happen to anyone else?

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2024 5:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It happens to me regularly and is happening to me now. You go thru a period of time that you can't find the coins on your want list. Then all of a sudden several show up all at once and you just can't afford them all.
Very frustrating!!

Comments

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, just this last month. Stretched as much as I could and took care of the toughest. Hope the ones left are still there when the batteries recharge.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. It's either feast or famine. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

My typical collecting experience goes something like this:

Desert, desert, desert….
    Desert, desert, desert….
    MONSOON!

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - too often & it’s happening again right now!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage auction tonight last January.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 8:17AM

Some coins do seem to come in waves.

As I was headed toward completing my type set, there were a number of 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagles available at the national shows. Some of them were nice, but I didn't have the cash.

Then, when I had the funds, the supply had dried up. There was almost nothing. I remember there was a Baltimore show where there was a massively over graded one on the floor for something like $175,000. I finally had to buy the piece in an auction.

In some ways, it seems like there not much available at the shows these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 4:40PM

It's likely because of collectors selling a collection: they'll have held desirable coins for x years and tend to put their entire collection in an auction at once, causing a flood.

There are only so many bidders at certain levels: private placement or trickling coins out without the satisfaction of a "big bang" catalog may work out better to maximize prices realized as it smooths out the best pieces, allowing us mere mortals with finite budgets a chance to get one or two great coins and then "recharge" before the next come around.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, or one finally does and I reach excessively to buy it. Then a couple more show up for sale or auction in next couple months,

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely!!
    Happened last October. I had bought two fairly big coins when another one came flying by, out of nowhere! This coin had only been sold twice in the last 25 years!
    Needless to say, I did some rearranging and snagged it too. I was really sweating for a couple days, though!😉😂

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

Please esplain the above phrase because I cannot seem to figure it out

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate when I buy a nice coin at a fair price and then one or two similar coins come along that are nicer and less expensive. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the chance to upgrade many coins all at once, but there was no way to afford them all so ended up upgrading only 7.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this love/hate relationship with my banker. I hate borrowing from her and she loves loaning me. 20% juice for the auctioneer, another 10% for the banker. Sometimes. Because my hate is greater than her love.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened to me when I bought my 1863 half dime. Right next to it was an 1863-S in AU, same price at $400. I only had money for one of the two.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 8:20PM

Monetary funds are a finite resource for most of us. I have learned to be disciplined and to prioritize by going after the most difficult ones first. But even then, sometimes hard choices must be made.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Yup. It's either feast or famine. :#

Yeah, and right now it's famine.................

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there, done that. More than I care to say. It’s nice to know I’m not alone.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

My want list isn't too long so this hasn't happened to me. At least I know what's to come as that list grows.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting is a hobby for personal enjoyment for me. No stress, except sometimes with the database. If I cannot find a coin or coins, maybe I don't need it that much, and just maybe there is another to go after. The fun is in the search.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

@MWallace This "feast or famine" cycle seems to happen a lot! But I take it as a sign that I'm focused on a series (capped bust half dimes) that means a lot to me. When I was into a wide array of series, including 20th century stuff, there was an abundance of choice; if I couldn't find something in, say Mercs, I could go work on Lincoln cents or Barber quarters. It was too easy, and I didn't feel a strong sense of accomplishment when I filled a slot. Nowadays when the feast comes, I get what I can afford to get and relish it! And during the famine, I study (and save up) and get ready...

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Does this happen to anyone else?”

Don’t be silly - I’m certain that you’re the one and only collector who’s ever experienced that.

😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 7:56PM

It's like the Christmas toy catalog when I was a kid. I wanted everything and there wasn't enough ink in the house to circle what I thought I wanted. It's always fun looking and dreaming. I have gotten some super coi s here too. 🙂🙃😊

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2024 6:35AM

I am offered so much material at shows (at my table) from sellers off bourse no shortage of material I like, want to acquire. Many selling out of Classic Material for quality slabbed bullion MS69 / 70. GB Britannia, Mexico Libertad, ASE, AGB. I picked up a beautiful 1926-S PCGS MS65 Oregon for $260 from one seller that walked up.

The bourse chairman at one show, a friend has lots of slabbed goodies for me to look at after setup b4 public comes in. I like get setup early take advantage of that window then relax with the free coffee and doughnuts. Yes he’s at bid plus 5-7 pct but that’s ok I am gonna make money on them anyway.

My advice spend conservatively, don’t compromise your survival budget. Stay away from Credit Card debt.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:

@alefzero said:

Please esplain the above phrase because I cannot seem to figure it out

The auction in mid-January had some insanely nice and rare early dollars. It was a feeding frenzy. I got a lot of them but left behind plenty that each in another auction would have my full attention. I just couldn't get them all. But I paid premiums for a few of them on the secondary market.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file