Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone dealt with Dick Osburn Rare Coins?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gowithmygut said:
    I sold Brian some Saints at Summer FUN, I'm still looking to get paid.

Wow... approaching a year! I hope this works out for you and you're made whole... $13k is a heck of a lot of money.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

He would have gotten a certified letter from my lawyer at the 90 day mark.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2024 8:03AM

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    He would have gotten a certified letter from my lawyer at the 90 day mark.

When you deal with scammers, they don't care what a lawyer writes. A civil suit means that if you win and get a judgement, (probably will spend more than 13K) you have to find assets that the sheriff can seize.

Only thing that gets their attention is a criminal investigation for fraud or theft. Good luck finding anyone that cares.

We had an internet fraudster steal over 100K from our business with banking fraud. Guess who cared? Nobody.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭

I have dealt with Dick Osburn in the past and would vouch for him I had one coin purchase from Brian Cushing but that was more than a decade ago. @ARCO, I am sorry for your loss . The stupid thing is most people seem to think that fraud is rare. That some insurance company absorbs the loss and that since only money is involved, the injury is less important. I have personally seen lives destroyed by fraud and can only say many people Do care they just don't have any power to make things right. James

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 6:13PM

All I know is can I get the "CUSHING" Pedigree if I have a coin that he owned? Due to his notoriety it could add value, and I am always up for that aspect with regards to collecting. People seem to like scoundrels such as Sheldon, Breen, etc. Maybe we should devote a thread to all the Numsimatic Scoundrels that are or have been known to grace the hobby. It is interesting to note that they all have one thing in common. They become notable through their numismatic endeavors and then use that new found notoriety to gain trust in their respective numismatic fields and then eventually pull the rug from unsuspecting collectors. Almost a way of life, well planned out before or just an evolution/ego thing, does it matter in the end, same result, so disappointing

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

When's the last time anyone saw Brian at a major coin show? I can't remember the last time I saw him. I only attend the Baltimore show, and it's been over 5 years since I remember seeing him there. He was a regular at all three Baltimore shows for many years.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    When's the last time anyone saw Brian at a major coin show? I can't remember the last time I saw him. I only attend the Baltimore show, and it's been over 5 years since I remember seeing him there. He was a regular at all three Baltimore shows for many years.

The last time I saw Brian Cushing was at the Long Beach coin show in Sept of '19, where I consigned some coins to him. Since Covid shut down shows for well over a year, it was late 2021 before contacting him about my coins. He used the risk of covid still prevailing as to why he wasn't making the trip to Long Beach (he lives in Baltimore). Over the next year I lost contact with him....no email replies nor answering phone calls. Then I discovered my consigned coins had been sold at auction! So now I'm trying to get the word out on him to find other victims...so far there have been several.
    In regard to the Baltimore show, I've been wondering if he might still be attending. But I'm suspecting he might be doing what he did at Long Beach the last few years of seeing him....he didn't get a table under his name, but was at the table for the Liberty Seated Coin Club for which he is still listed as the West Regional Director. I flushed him out by contacting the president (Leonard Augsburger) and vice-president (Dennis Fortier) regarding my efforts to contact Brian. Within 24 hours I got an email back from Cushing confessing to the theft of my coins and claiming he was out of the coin business. That I highly suspect. So I would love it if anyone who attends the Baltimore show would search for him at the LSCC club table and let me know if he is seen...

"kevinmcnamara@comcast.net"

• Options

@gowithmygut said:
    While I suspect that I will get some pushback I hope I can get some help. I have a check for $13,250 written on Brian Cushing Osburn Cushing Numismatics B of A account that has been returned with a notation Account Closed. There have been numerous phone calls and emails with no response. A police report has been filed and Doug Davis of Numismatic Crimes has been contacted. Anyone that can help me would be most appreciated.

Please look down for further posts as I have updated my current knowledge and status of Brian Cushing. I too have been a victim of his fraud and theft, and am now starting to hear from other victims. Sorry to hear about yours too...

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian was a straight up guy when he worked for Liz at J.J. Teaparty.

Something went very wrong once he had free reign with Dick Osburn.

So sad to see this. He sold me my favorite Trade $1 of all time many years ago with J.J. Teaparty.

He needs to be brought to justice and make the victim forum members in this thread whole again.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, it’s amazing to me that one can take one’s property, make money selling it and claim, “I’m out of the business “ and everyone shrugs their shoulders.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is surprising to me, as I own two Osburn pedigreed Coins.

Thankfully, I never did any direct business. :p

I hope those who were wronged are made whole once again.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moldnut said:
    Wow, it’s amazing to me that one can take one’s property, make money selling it and claim, “I’m out of the business “ and everyone shrugs their shoulders.

I don't see everyone shrugging their shoulders.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Moldnut said:

Oh yeah Mark clean your glasses!

J/K

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Moldnut said:

I took it to mean the authorities involved, not the people on the forum. Property crimes are generally low priority, if they care at all.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigred0053 said:

@gowithmygut said:
    While I suspect that I will get some pushback I hope I can get some help. I have a check for $13,250 written on Brian Cushing Osburn Cushing Numismatics B of A account that has been returned with a notation Account Closed. There have been numerous phone calls and emails with no response. A police report has been filed and Doug Davis of Numismatic Crimes has been contacted. Anyone that can help me would be most appreciated.

Please look down for further posts as I have updated my current knowledge and status of Brian Cushing. I too have been a victim of his fraud and theft, and am now starting to hear from other victims. Sorry to hear about yours too...

Have you considered starting a thread on the subject? That would likely call considerably more attention to the issue than posting in this thread (titled "Anyone dealt with Dick Osburn Rare Coins?)?

If you choose to do so, please be careful not to violate the forum rule below. At the same time, you could hopefully ask people to contact you privately if they have any information that might be of help to others.

"Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity."

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started this thread 7 years ago asking a simple question. Who know it would have turned into this?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file