Home Precious Metals
Options

It’s getting to where you need a ladder to reach the gutter.

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 17, 2024 4:53PM in Precious Metals

$31.78 today.

Comments

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

YES U DO!!!
    But is was still fun in the gutter today.

MIKE B.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    $31.78 today.

up 6.8% on the day. Too bad the exchange closes for the weekend. Sunday night should be exciting.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

a couple hours after computer exch futures open sunday, asia will open. i predict not much action on ours because volume will be light. try mon morning starting about 8

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2024 7:06PM

What seems odd lately is a ten cent spread between bid and ask, and a $2 swing to the upside in the day
    Current GSR is .76459391 to 1, from 80:1 in the beginning of the week.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me go back and check my records...nope not yet. Hold steady the course.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    Let me go back and check my records...nope not yet. Hold steady the course.

You may be right and I'm expecting a down day Monday. But watch out if there's any upside during the week because this could quickly spiral out of control. Someday it will do this spiral but it might still be too early.

All that it would take is the realization that there is no metal available for big buyers. Now days it's still a gutter metal because the only big buyers are industrial consumers who believe in Just In Time Delivery. A buying panic is the only possible result in the long run.

For years everyone sad "silver's OK but it takes up too much room" but the time will come when it doesn't take up so much room any longer.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Click.....did you hear that?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    What seems odd lately is a ten cent spread between bid and ask, and a $2 swing to the upside in the day

That 80:1 GSR was screaming at you "buy silver." But you didn't.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think "roller coaster" now. But the trend direction is pretty obvious until some unforeseen news hits.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh I wish I knew where the top floor is going to be? I bought my first 1 oz. age in 2003 for $300, now at $2600. Anyone buying at these levels?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@blitzdude said:

That was the sound of Blitzdude's mouse selling the gutter SLV. EZ $$$. RGDS!

• Options

blitz just sold out? lol............Way too soon! Oh well, you can always buy it back at a higher price!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

blitz just sold out? lol............Way too soon! Oh well, you can always buy it back at a higher price!

Not so fast , mcdudebro has tried to sell rolls and rolls of SAE(s) all bought at the top in 2011.
    Going by his for past sale post ..+$30 is when gutter boy starts buying.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2024 7:40AM

@derryb said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@derryb said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

That 80:1 GSR was screaming at you "buy silver." But you didn't.

That's funny. I've been through a few thousand ounces this past couple months when silver was sub $28. It doesn't appear customers are hearing any screams, even as I've been shouting it out for 30 plus years to friends and family : "BUY, Sell, Trade. ". Deaf ears and then there were the naysayers, pessimists, detractors and enemies of enrichment.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@blitzdude said:

May be a good play on the SLV.... sell on Friday; Monday is ripe for a slam down.

But for physical silver holders.... all part of the game! I suspect if it does get slammed on Monday, will not take long to climb back out. Shine on you crazy silver!

----- kj
  • Options

@carew4me said:

@jmski52 said:

Not so fast , mcdudebro has tried to sell rolls and rolls of SAE(s) all bought at the top in 2011.
    Going by his for past sale post ..+$30 is when gutter boy starts buying.

Funny how all my ASEs are dated post 2011. Confusing me with yourself again. LOL THKS!

• Options

@jmski52 said:

Still hold several K ozt physical gutter, that gets swapped for the Metal of Kings. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:

Still hold several K ozt physical gutter, that gets swapped for the Metal of Kings. RGDS!

and all this time I've been selling gold at the high and buying silver on the low. I must be doing something wrong. LOL

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:

and all this time I've been selling gold at the high and buying silver on the low. I must be doing something wrong. LOL

No doubt about it. LOL

• Options

I buy and sell for a living. I try to keep the stack rising. If the GSR were to go to 60:1.... a silver stack and gold stack inch upward ( as much as I'm able to stack). A king I am not but I do recommend being princely as well as being upright. My moves are with 17 grandchildren in mind.
    Though, I have a coin shop, and spot prices seem meaningless with many gold and silver coins. Even clad coins reign, in some circles. I have purchased nickels and cents for hundred or thousands of dollars each.
    Most here understand that with collectibles the premiums are enormous. Any coin examples ? I have plenty with meat on the bone but this thread was just an observation that we are reaching a higher floor.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

… Sail on Silver Girl
    Sail on by
    Your time has come to shine....

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said “… Sail on Silver Girl
    Sail on by
    Your time has come to shine....”

What a great song!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll play the game using SLV & GLD in the market
    Much easier and faster to get in and out

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said “I'll play the game using SLV & GLD in the market
    Much easier and faster to get in and out”

If you believe you can market time. The reality is that almost no one can. (Including most of the people who are convinced that they can!)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:

If you believe you can market time. The reality is that almost no one can. (Including most of the people who are convinced that they can!)

You really don't have to be able to time the market.
    You set limits
    My point is that I don't have the worry of storing and transporting.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:

The sheep in the PM markets are fairly predictable. Paper transactions are way quicker than physical transactions. One does not have to be a rocket scientist or a market timer for that matter. IMO one should always hold physical PMs, REAL PMs should be the goal. RGDS!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@Higashiyama said:

You really don't have to be able to time the market.
    You set limits
    My point is that I don't have the worry of storing and transporting.

Even with set limits, losses are nearly as likely as gains.

You still have to worry about counter-party risk.
    Will the management of SLV properly perform their duties ?
    Do they actually hold the silver that they claim they have ?
    And you can never actually get any physical silver out of SLV.

You also miss out on the fun of collecting your own coins and bars.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone enjoy the ride while it's here 😉

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

Collecting piles of $100 bills IS fun!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited May 19, 2024 6:33AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

might satisfy the greed need but not much fun, they all look the same

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 7:20AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

... they all look the same

Just like ASEs. Lol

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

$100 bills = debt instruments, nothing more - subject to default.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2024 8:54AM

@jmski52 said:

actually defaulted on a wee bit each day (inflation) so that most don't notice. My ASEs notice.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭

Monthly LCS today, ASEs 3 for $100, rolls as low as $660 (about $1.50 over spot). Many folks looking to sell, many comments about waiting for the opening tonight and what may be in store.

• Options

$660 for a tube of eagles is good price. Asian markets open in about 3 hours. Up or down? My guess is down on profit taking but April of 2011 is going to happen again at some point.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmski52 said:

actually defaulted on a wee bit each day (inflation) so that most don't notice. My ASEs notice.

Currently down about $0.01 each and every day.

• Options

apmex currently wants 41ea for a tube of random ase

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

premiums on the move, just checked other dealers.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

Check gold price.com.

The metals are off & running.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Check gold price.com.

The metals are off & running.

Right you are! Silver over 32 up over 2% already tonight. Any smackdown will likely take place during the morning hours.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2024 7:36PM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>
    4 years ago my wife had $100 bills she was enjoying in the bank. I asked her to convert it to silver. She got 100 ounce bars. 3 for under $4k. Fast forward to today. Those 3 100 ounce bars are now just under $10k.
    Have fun with bills.

• Options

Right you are! Silver over 32 up over 2% already tonight. Any smackdown will likely take place during the morning hours.

It can’t continue like this………then again, you never really know how far it can go………or for how long.

A few more sessions like this and the news will be out.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

check out copper

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    check out copper

From coinflation.com :

Pre-1982 bronze cents are theoretically worth more than three times face value melted.
    All US Nickels are worth about 6-1/2 cents melted.

At these prices, how long will the US government continue to produce them ?

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 11:54PM

@dcarr said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    check out copper

From coinflation.com :

Pre-1982 bronze cents are theoretically worth more than three times face value melted.
    All US Nickels are worth about 6-1/2 cents melted.

At these prices, how long will the US government continue to produce them ?

That is a drop in the bucket for the US government. Since the Jefferson nickel was first produced there have been a total of 67,230,542,410 Jeffs struck since 1938. if the government lost $.015 on each one it is $1B since 1938. I don't think anyone is going to do anything about it. They will devalue it first to the point of not needing them.
    There is however $1B sitting in peoples jars just in nickels.

• Options

At these prices, I expect that copper cents are going to ramp up being melted. Even though laws have been passed to prevent that.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2024 6:40AM

The price of zinc is also at a one year high of $1.32 / lb.

It is very common and not likely to be in short supply but requires a lot of pollution, energy, and costs to produce. As such the higher prices are largely a gauge of inflation. New pennies are likely approaching 5c each to produce and contain well over a half cent in metal.

The mint shifts much of the costs of producing these worthless slugs onto other denominations.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    At these prices, I expect that copper cents are going to ramp up being melted. Even though laws have been passed to prevent that.

I wonder if large quantities of pre-1982 copper cents are being exported to Canada and Mexico for melting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

Volatility rules the day. The metals have come back down from their overnight spikes. Still slightly positive though.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@tincup said:

I wonder if large quantities of pre-1982 copper cents are being exported to Canada and Mexico for melting.

Exporting pennies and five cent pieces is illegal as well.

A lot of the old one cent coins are being melted but it's a thousand here and a thousand there. Anyone who needs copper is likely to acquire it at the lowest possible cost. In this country it would be tough to get copper at anything like a reasonable price because of markups and shipping charges. Old pennies are a real bargain if you don't need a lot.

The mintages are not in danger because of this melting but attrition through loss is much higher. If people are throwing away quarters then one can only imagine the disdain they have for ugly, tarnished, and toxic slugs that we call "pennies".

Tempus fugit.