Home Precious Metals

It’s getting to where you need a ladder to reach the gutter.

2»

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Testing, it's so cold up in this jail. How's me Au? RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

If people are throwing away quarters then one can only imagine the disdain they have for ugly, tarnished, and toxic slugs that we call "pennies".

Who is throwing away quarters? :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

$21 last October. Up 32+%

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@cladking said:

If people are throwing away quarters then one can only imagine the disdain they have for ugly, tarnished, and toxic slugs that we call "pennies".

Who is throwing away quarters? :o

I don't think a lot are actually being discarded yet but many people will do nothing at all to retrieve a quarter. This means they gat vacuumed up and swept up by street sweepers. They get into the garbage stream in myriad ways. If you drive the toll roads and use cash you'll often find change already in the coin return. It seems about every other person takes his change and whatever else is in the hopper.

This would be far more common if not for the fact that those who hate pennies and change the most primarily use credit cards and the like.

From 2015 to 2020 a large percentage of quarter production was just to replace older coins that had been lost or destroyed. In recent years mintages are higher in part because usage is expanding and in part because inflation has whittled away the value of a quarter so much that people aren't returning their coins to the bank until they build up higher. People who used to return it when they got a couple hundred now wait until they have 250 or 300.

A lot of the coins in change jars end up being destroyed through fires, floods and misadventure.

Tempus fugit.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

The mint shifts much of the costs of producing these worthless slugs onto other denominations.

they don't do that anymore

the annual reports break down the costs of each coin

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • up 6.8% on the day

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    ... one can only imagine the disdain they have for ugly, tarnished, and toxic slugs that we call "pennies".

The things turn nasty once released into the environment.
    It is an insult to my cousin (Abraham Lincoln) to have his likeness stamped on a copper-coated zinc slug.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring it down a rung.