Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated Dime Question - Proof or Business? Also GTG

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 17, 2024 7:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum
  • update: grade is an ms64. Thanks for all the feedback!

Hello,

Anyone well versed in Seated dimes? I have one in my possession that the owner thinks is a proof. I have tried to use http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1891_131page.htm to try to identify it, but I'm still stumped. It appears to match obverse 31 when I did an overlay in photoshop. However the fields are no less than prooflike all day long... shiny just like I'm used to seeing on proof coinage - deep mirrors front and back. Interestingly PCGS nor Greysheet list a PL as an option for this coin.

Note that the slab is a very old slab and was very difficult to image through... much of any spotting or weirdness is due to the slab not the coin.

What do you guys think? Feel free to guess a grade while you are at it if you wish!

Thanks,
Jamey

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The die clash makes me think the same, bs

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    VictaVicta Posts: 31 ✭✭

Business strike MS-64. Nice coin.

• Options

@LanLord said:
    The die clash makes me think the same, bs

I was wondering about that too.

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

I think Business strike. Denticles on the top of the reverse are a little mushy.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JerseyB said:
    I think Business strike. Denticles on the top of the reverse are a little mushy.

A number of other areas are weak, as well, as can be seen in the first set of images. Among them are Liberty’s head and cap and the ribbon at the bottom of the wreath.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 62 business strike

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62 business strike

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike, dentils too rounded. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 7:54PM

First off why do you want it to be a proof, is there more value that way because I think not since a lot of proofs were minted. Second it is a business strike all day long per what all the members have opined. It may be possibly proof like but that isn't significant since proofs and business strikes can be very often the identical die marriage

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:
    First off why do you want it to be a proof, is there more value that way because I think not since a lot of proofs were minted. Second it is a business strike all day long per what all the members have opined. It may be possibly proof like but that isn't significant since proofs and business strikes can be very often the identical die marriage

Yes the owner thinks it's a proof and wanted me to investigate and see if it is or not, as this particular year would result in a value bump from the business strike. Yeah the others have made compelling arguments for business strike. The die crack on the rev is a big one. But, when not sure, I ask questions, and the members here are pretty spot on!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike MS-63

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 1:53AM

@spyglassdesign said:
    ... The die crack on the rev is a big one. ...

Where is the die crack on the rev?
    I do see what appear to be diagonal die clash lines through the Es on the reverse.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike. Doesn't appear to have the strike or rims of a proof.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@yosclimber said:

@spyglassdesign said:
    ... The die crack on the rev is a big one. ...

Where is the die crack on the rev?
    I do see what appear to be diagonal die clash lines through the Es on the reverse.

• Clash. Your right.
  • Options

Thanks for the comments and feedback. It is an ms64. The die clash was what made me most suspicious as I didn't see anything on Coinfacts in the proof images or that resource indicating any proofs with a known die clash.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign Even if there was a die crack it wouldn't necessarily be a business strike because it had a die crack. I have a proof Roosevelt dime with a good size die crack running down through half of the coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @spyglassdesign Even if there was a die crack it wouldn't necessarily be a business strike because it had a die crack. I have a proof Roosevelt dime with a good size die crack running down through half of the coin.

True. Of the known dies for this coin and year (see link in my first post), none of them seem to have this.

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 9:24AM

Obviously MS64, if you believe PCGS. :) And the date position doesn't seem to match any of the three known proof varieties of the date. Of course, it's hard to tell from photos. But from them, I don't doubt the PL assessment.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file