Peace Dollar in type set?

Russell12Russell12 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Do i need both?
Type 1, High Relief (1921-1922)
Type 2, Low Relief (1922-1935)

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s your type set - it should be YOUR choice.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of type set? An album? 7070? Slabs?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a “general design” type set, you only need one.

For “complete type set,” you need the 1921 high relief.

If you become obsessed, the number rays on the reverse on the reverse changed in the 1930s. I was that nuts for a while but got over it.

If you are that obsessed, you would need two Half Cents and a 1795-7 half cent. I have two of three, but I think I have completed my set.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

If you are that obsessed, you would need two Half Cents and a 1795-7 half cent. I have two of three, but I think I have completed my set.

Did you mean two 1794 half cents?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both the 21 high relief and one low relief works for me. Here’s my silver dollar portion of my Type Set

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

It's a PCGS slabbed AU or better

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. But. Differences between “types” can be perceived as subtle or significant, depending on your own judgement. And pocketbook. The appearance of the two is strikingly different in my eyes, you may not think so.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russell12 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

It's a PCGS slabbed AU or better

Thanks @Russell12

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your set. I got both the 21 and another for my 7070 set.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personal opinion: if the only change is a difference in relief, rather than any actual difference in design, then it's a "variety", not a "type".

However, just going from what you've posted in the OP:

@Russell12 said:
    Do i need both?
    Type 1, High Relief (1921-1922)
    Type 2, Low Relief (1922-1935)

Note the bits I've put in bold. You - and presumably lots of other people - are calling them "type 1" and "type 2" - meaning that there is some kind of consensus out there that these are in fact different "types". If they're different "types", then they should, by logical definition, both be required for a "complete type set". If you don't want to include them in the definition of "type" for a type set, then we shouldn't confuse the issue by calling these different "types".

But then, I'd also regard every single commemorative coin, both classic and modern, as well as every single type of modern bullion coin, to be essential for a "complete type set of US coins", so take my opinion for what it's worth. :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file