Home U.S. Coin Forum

Half cent newp and question.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I know the image is pretty bad. I'm limited with my knowledge of using my phone.
I've always liked half cents and their low mintages so I want to pick up a couple cheaper ones. I just got this one.

Question: is it normal to have a rotated reverse on these?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, probably more common than not rotated. More knowledgeable people can chime in though.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, many half cents have a reverse that is not a strict "coin turn." That is you flip the a coin on the horizonal axis.

The late Roger Cohen would have attributed this to the fact that "Half Cents were the 'half sisters' and didn't get much respect."

You will note that there is a big gap from 1812 to 1824 in the half cent series. Mint Director, Robert Paterson, didn't care for the half cent. He ordered that the mint strike up it's remaining inventory of half cent blanks and then stop producing them. The stock ran out in 1811.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is definitely one of the most worn middle date half cents I’ve seen.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 1925 C-1 (R.3). This is the rarer of the two varieties. Agree, that is it common to see slightly rotated dies. However, if the dies are rotated to the point of a medallic strike... that would be considered rare and would drive a premium.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file