Home Sports Talk
Options

PGA Championship kicks off Thursday. Major #2 for 2024

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts,picks? Tiger scheduled and LIV golfers will be in attendance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

by reading the headlines, tiger wins by 15 shots.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    by reading the headlines, tiger wins by 15 shots.

The headline actually meant that Tiger had 15 shots, of who knows what? 😉

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

It's a bomber's course.

I will take Bryson DeChambeau over McIlroy, Koepka, Xander and I think we see a Dustin Johnson Top 20 showing.

The bigger news could be the resignation of Jimmy Dunne & what's going on with LIV/PIF, the PGA Tour and potentially a SSG PE firm backed by Red Sox owner that will have ample US corporate sponsorships.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

Scottie in the field after a 3 weeks break. Should be well rested and flying high since he has become a new father. Rory will attract attention off his impressive win at the Wells Fargo tourney last week. Zalatoris may be experiencing some back issues. 2 weeks ago withdrew from a match. Brooks has won this 3 times. Rory twice. Been 10 years since his last Major, which was this one,when he as well won the Wells Fargo prior. Can history repeat for Rory?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rory reminded everyone last Sunday that he possesses another gear that only Scheffler does. problem is, he doesn't throw it in that gear as often as he should, and Scottie does so in almost every tournament he enters now. but at this juncture it's so mundane to go with the chalkiest of picks since Tiger in his prime, so.....

my heart says Xander, but my head says Koepka. X-man is too talented (and for me, likable) to keep knocking on the door without it opening, but such has been the case for many a great golfer. everything screams Koepka to me, and he's the one I'll be dropping some coin on (top 20).

Jordan has yet another chance to join Hogan, Sarazen, Nicklaus, Player, and Woods, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and Slim was seen hightailing it out of town. he's in poor form, he just had baby #2, he has a lingering wrist injury, and being a player director on the policy board for a crumbling sport is diverting his time and attention. it pains me to say this, seeing as he's my fav golfer, but he's not even close to being the same player he once was.

BK for me

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

BK is tough in this tournament

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    BK is tough in this tournament

He had a good LIV win recently in Singapore. Has some momentum.

• Options

and in other news, Rory filed for divorce today

shocking

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    and in other news, Rory filed for divorce today

shocking

Well CBS golf show coverage interviewer Amanda Balionis is available. She recently separated from her husband Mr.Renner. And Amanda always praises Rory for his access for her interviews. Maybe they will tee it up.

• Options

Top 20 Aberg and Theegala. Top 10 Scottie.

• Options

how do you respond to getting boatraced by Rory the previous week?

you go scorched earth and match the record for the lowest round in a major

incredible 62 by Xander this morning

• Options

Scottie's first hole of the tourney he dunks one from 167 out

here we go

• Options

https://nypost.com/2024/05/17/sports/scottie-scheffler-detained-and-handcuffed-by-police-outside-of-pga-championship/

Published May 17, 2024, 7:03 a.m. ET

Scottie Scheffler detained and handcuffed at PGA Championship after incident

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a pga tour vehicle, stopped and arrested with a quickness. Somebody gonna get a talking to with this one I bet.

• Options

Update: Pasted

Scheffler was charged with second degree assault of police officer, criminal mischief third degree, reckless driving, disregard signals from officer directing traffic.

Per ESPN, Scheffler has been released from custody and will arrive back at Valhalla in time for his 10:08 a.m. tee time.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of those charges are going to stick. SMH, ridiculous.

• Options

Police were on high alert as someone was killed by a vehicle earlier at the tournament

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scottie Scheffler got himself arrested and just made the tournament lol

• Options

btw when your odds to win the tournament don't change after being arrested, that's when you know you're the pop tarts

• Options
    edited May 17, 2024 7:14AM

The ripple effect if he got DQ'ed would have been epic lol

• Options

Scottie getting arrested at the PGA

all-time prop bet

• Options

he's on the course and birdied his first hole of the day

this is a different type of cat we're talking about

• Options

Part of his statement is pure BS. I have driven countless miles over the years, sometimes late for business appointments, etc, and have been stopped by the police a number of times for various infractions. I've never been arrested or handcuffed.

I am always courteous and cooperative, and usually i simply admit what I was doing, and apologize. Having been stopped for speeding at least a dozen times, I have neve been ticketed. Of course I would never speed in say a school zone. The stop was always for putting the petal to the metal on a highway.

I have a hunch that good old Scottie uttered at least some nasty profanities at the police officer that he isn't telling us about.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

I forget the exact details, but I recall Pete Rose had one of his best games ever when he had just announced his divorce.

• Options

@stevek said:

I have a hunch that good old Scottie uttered at least some nasty profanities at the police officer that he isn't telling us about.

Probably a simple "I'm Scottie Scheffler"

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Probably a simple "I'm Scottie Scheffler"

Perhaps Scheffler should have used the old trick when handing the officer his driver's license, there is a couple of hundred dollar bills along with it. 😆

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

I forget the exact details, but I recall Pete Rose had one of his best games ever when he had just announced his divorce.

Rory just announced his divorce as well. Maybe they are onto something.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Rory just announced his divorce as well. Maybe they are onto something.

Might be a very interesting wagering angle. I can't remember the name, but I do recall at least one football player, I think his mom or dad had passed in the morning before the game. Something like that. Ya'd think that he would ask the coach not to play him and of course the coach would have obliged. Or he would have had a lousy game because of the tragedy.

I would guess that most sports bettors would see this as an opportunity to make a nice score, betting against the player or his team. When it seems the exact opposite should be done, as I recall the mentioned football player had a phenomenal game.

• Options

I think Brett Favre's dad died and Brett played soon after.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I think you're right about that.

• Options

also remember it was 6am and raining at the time. So dark, probably had may flashing emergency lights as this was near the accident scene and maybe driving a courtesy vehicle not familiar with all the controls or the area.

Also heard there was only one way into the course, so no alternate entrance for players and the elites at this area. That is why many NASCAR drivers use helicopters to leave after the race to avoid traffic.

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    also remember it was 6am and raining at the time. So dark, probably had may flashing emergency lights as this was near the accident scene and maybe driving a courtesy vehicle not familiar with all the controls or the area.

Also heard there was only one way into the course, so no alternate entrance for players and the elites at this area. That is why many NASCAR drivers use helicopters to leave after the race to avoid traffic.

Interesting though. Seems none of the other PGA players had a problem. At least not with being handcuffed and arrested over it. 🚔

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I think you're right about that.

Against the raiders I believe. I remember the game vaguely but I think he threw 3 tds in the 1st quarter.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Galaxy called it exactly right. Scheffler shot 5 under par for the day.

Tied for third place in the match.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 6:08PM

The Scheffler incident was witnessed by an ESPN reporter. The reporter says Scheffler drove onto a media to go around the cops, ignored instructions to stop and then drove his car with an officer attached to it. Again, that's from the reporter, not the police. The officer was injured, hence the felony assault charge he's facing.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭

Well that sounds bad. I assume there’s a movie coming out.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldnt be so quick to jump to conculsions on this one especially since he was released very quickly. The cop he "dragged" is the owner of ACIS Advanced Collision Investigation

https://www.thecrashhub.com/kentucky/louisville/vehicle-crash-expert/bryan-gillis

This is also what the ESPN reporter actually said
    https://x.com/KevinNegandhi/status/1791436361980899774

I'll wait for the body cam footage to reserve judgement

• Options

Be interesting to see how Scheffler plays tomorrow and Sunday, when the reality of fighting off a nasty felony charge sets in. That's some dam serious chit that Scheffler did, especially injuring the officer.

Frankly, if Scheffler's lawyers can't be convincing enough that it was an accident and not intentional, Scheffler could be looking at some prison time.

• Options

Did not hear of any bail figure. Were strings pulled to get him out so he could make his tee time? Seems the felony charge would result in longer detention.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2024 8:47AM

facts:

1) it was 5 am

2) it was raining

3) there is only one entrance into Valhalla

4) PGA Tour players are authorized to turn their hazards on and slowly circumvent routine traffic accidents with credentials in hand to reach the course for their tee times

5) this was no routine traffic accident, but Scheffler was unaware of the gravity of this particular one due in part to 1), 2) and the sheer chaos at the scene

6) this one is very important, and it speaks to Scheffler's character. had he done this, it would have saved him. not once did he name-drop. those cops had no clue who they had just hauled off. in fact, one officer who was still at the scene asked Jeff Darlington (the reporter who shot the vid and the one Scottie pleaded to for help), "Who did we just arrest?" the only thing Scheffler said when he got out of his car was, "I'm sorry, I'm just trying to get to my tee time." didn't say his name once. if he had, I assure you those cuffs would have been removed and he would have proceeded to the course.

colossal misunderstanding, with less than zero percent chance of any of these charges sticking

• Options

https://golf.com/news/scottie-scheffler-criminal-charges-plead-not-guilty/

Scottie Scheffler has 4 charges against him. So what now? His attorney explains

According to the police report, Scheffler, in an attempt to bypass the bottleneck, pulled around the congestion into an adjacent lane, where Detective Bryan Gillis of the Louisville Metro Police was directing traffic. Gillis said that he stopped Scheffler and attempted to give him instructions, but that Scheffler “refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging (him) to the ground.”
    <
    <
    <

Let's put aside for a second, the assault charge on the police officer. How does his attorney have the gall to plead "not guilty" to the traffic violation charges? When it's painfully obvious that occurred.

"pulled around the congestion into an adjacent lane"

We've all run into traffic jams whereby it's caused by a traffic accident, road construction, or whatever. Who the yell would ever pull around the congestion into an adjacent lane? Especially when an officer is directing the traffic? Are you kidding me? How dangerous and reckless is that? I doubt if a newly licensed sixteen year old teenage driver would pull a stunt like this.

Scottie Scheffler has an awful lot of growing up to do. And he's going to grow-up real fast if he receives say a six month prison sentence, depending on the outcome of the assault charge.

• Options

T133
    United States
    T. Woods

If Tiger Woods plans on continuing to play on the tour, he might be better off changing his first name to Kitten.

😉

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

Scheffler is the new Tiger Woods, MARK MY WORDS !!!! lolololol

• Options

@stevek said:
    Be interesting to see how Scheffler plays tomorrow and Sunday, when the reality of fighting off a nasty felony charge sets in. That's some dam serious chit that Scheffler did, especially injuring the officer.

Frankly, if Scheffler's lawyers can't be convincing enough that it was an accident and not intentional, Scheffler could be looking at some prison time.

Oops!

Scottie went from tied for 3rd, to tied for 21st in just three holes. Perhaps he was thinking too much last night about his possible prison sentence?

In any event, still a lot of golf to play yet in this tourney. We shall see how possible future Jailbird Scottie finishes.

• Options

@FredJRI said:
    Scheffler is the new Tiger Woods, MARK MY WORDS !!!! lolololol

Scheffler is a great golfer, no question about it. If he is trying to emulate Tiger Woods, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Unfortunately it seems like Scottie is also emulating Tiger's poor driving habits.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

BK struggling also

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2024 1:41PM

@2dueces said:

BK struggling also

understatement

i watched yesterday's round early this morning and never before have i had this takeaway after watching a golfer make 8 birdies in one round: WTF is wrong with him?

reason being, he missed 4 putts between 3-6 feet in that same round

but the killer was at #10 yesterday. he was a few shots behind Schauffele at -8 going for it in 2 on a reachable par 5. he caught a mudball, slung one OB and made double. i think he mentally checked out after that.

saw him miss a ~2 footer early today and knew that was all she wrote

now that i've lit 400$ on fire i'm rooting for Xander

• Options

Quite the board change from Friday.