Home Sports Talk

PGA Championship kicks off Thursday. Major #2 for 2024

2»

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Scottie was driving didn't he have a driver's license on his person? Usually that is what LE would have the driver produce upon stopping them. That in turn would of ID Scottie right off. No need to ask the ESPN reporter. And apparently Scottie did not ID himself. Strange. Could be driving without a license charge as well

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

What a great final round for Sunday. Tight scores at the top 8 spots.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 189 ✭✭

@stevek said:

@FredJRI said:
    Scheffler is the new Tiger Woods, MARK MY WORDS !!!! lolololol

Scheffler is a great golfer, no question about it. If he is trying to emulate Tiger Woods, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Unfortunately it seems like Scottie is also emulating Tiger's poor driving habits.

He also needs to stay out of those pancake or waffle houses :) lolololol

Still waiting for Morikawa to break the ice.
    Been close on the last few PGA tournaments but seems to choke like a chicken at the end.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Quite the board change from Friday.

Can't pick up 3+M every weekend ..lololol

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn’t help but notice how poorly tailored Scott Van Pelt’s jackets were during the coverage. I hope he’s ok.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭✭

According to reports sources in the prosecutors office are saying that all charges against Scottie will be dropped this week

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Top 20 Aberg and Theegala. Top 10 Scottie.

Aberg missed cut by 1. Did okay with Theegala top 20,Scottie top 10. Not a big profit, but anything over initial bet is welcomed.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

any way for the golfers to tan the "under-hat" part of the forehead?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    any way for the golfers to tan the "under-hat" part of the forehead?

Yes. Don't wear a hat.😀

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scheffler related - And Brady - Belechik

“That's something we talked about from the beginning of our relationship was family always comes first, and it's the same thing for me as it is for my caddie,” Scheffler said. “It was a pretty easy decision. He told me at the beginning of this year that was the date that it was, so I got a backup caddie lined up.

Scheffler had a backup caddie on Saturday, when he shot a 73, while he has a 67, 66 and 65 with his regular caddie.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryson was banging balls on the range in anticipation of a playoff, but the moment Xander dropped that final putt he made a beeline for him to do this

high-quality move

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• estangestang Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

@estang said:
    It's a bomber's course.

I will take Bryson DeChambeau over McIlroy, Koepka, Xander and I think we see a Dustin Johnson Top 20 showing.

The bigger news could be the resignation of Jimmy Dunne & what's going on with LIV/PIF, the PGA Tour and potentially a SSG PE firm backed by Red Sox owner that will have ample US corporate sponsorships.

Almost. FWIW, I won one pool & cashed in two others, including picking Bryson as my weekly pick in another league and picking him in a Majors pool ahead of the season...

Xander deserved it & happy for him.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

Mad Max never disappoints on social media

Congrats to Xander. Almost 2 years since his last win. Was his first major for the 2015 ROY.

Scheffler faces four charges from his early Friday morning arrest at the PGA Championship. Officers charged the top-ranked player in the world with assaulting a police officer to the second degree, a felony that carries a penalty of between 5-10 years in prison.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Scheffler faces four charges from his early Friday morning arrest at the PGA Championship. Officers charged the top-ranked player in the world with assaulting a police officer to the second degree, a felony that carries a penalty of between 5-10 years in prison.

All sorts of media predictions about the outcome. A number of them stating that all the charges will be dismissed. I read where he's got the best lawyer in the state, so that wouldn't surprise me.

I just hope he fully realizes now that he could have blocked an ambulance or tow-truck trying to get thru, or even hit officers or others walking around the crash site trying to help the injured.

“I’ve been defending criminal cases for 30 years and have learned to never be surprised,” Romines said, per Hoggard.

He added, "Whoever reported [the charges] were going to be dismissed was not accurate.”

i still expect a plea down to a misdemeanor

@MsMorrisine said:
    i still expect a plea down to a misdemeanor

Maybe some form of community service and a healthy donation to some sort of police fund.
    I would think if he gets off,pardon the pun, "Scott free" this may affect morale among the troops.

Now I just read that the arresting officer railroaded him, and that officer may be in legal trouble because of it, including possibly getting fired.

I'm not sure what to believe?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m just wondering if he was dealing with one of those super aggressive officers who don’t know how to stay calm with the public. The ones who always have to show they’re in charge. Hard to say, they did say there was no footage of the incident.

I am waiting to hear why the officer jumped, grabbed, or somehow otherwise attached himself to the vehicle to be “dragged”.

I can see both sides of this one but I doubt that the “officer latch” is proper procedure so I don’t see the assault charge lasting - from my armchair view.

It’s odd.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I’m just wondering if he was dealing with one of those super aggressive officers who don’t know how to stay calm with the public. The ones who always have to show they’re in charge. Hard to say, they did say there was no footage of the incident.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Darin said:

One article I read said precisely that.

If that's the case, the officer well deserves to be fired. They even forced Scheffler to wear an orange prison jumpsuit. Really uncalled for!

edited May 21, 2024 1:00PM

noticed that we had a newbie contributing and i intended on welcoming him

by the time i got around to it he had been drop-kicked into the ether

i pulled up his comments and the last 3 he made were benign posts in this very thread

color me quite confused

• burghmanburghman Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    noticed that we had a newbie contributing and i intended on welcoming him

by the time i got around to it he had been drop-kicked into the ether

i pulled up his comments and the last 3 he made were benign posts in this very thread

color me quite confused

He dropped some “ST Francis University” on multiple people, but also started a thread questioning the integrity of graders. Just a matter of time…

As for Scheffler, I wondered the same thing about the officer being dragged… like, do you think you’re going to stop his car by holding into the door handle? Why would anyone even do that? The latest news about the officer perhaps running alongside and tripping over the median seems more likely.

Jim

Theres no police training that says to grab onto a car and hang on for a minor traffic violation. This isnt special forces trying to intercept uranium. If the reporters that saw it were right Scottie stopped right away.

Seems quite suspicious that a department that had major accusations against them a couple years ago is claiming theres no body cam footage of the incident.

I'm very pro police for the good ones, but when bad ones get supported or mistakes are doubled down on it makes it harder for the good ones to do their job.

If the reporters are right at best the cop made a mistake and the department is doubling down on it. Theres basically no chance anything actually happens to Scottie

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited May 22, 2024 8:12AM

An ESPN TV analyst/reporter witnessed the whole thing & said he didn't do anything wrong.

I'm not an attorney but I would think there are laws on the books (and precedence) for being told to do one thing by Officer "A" who is clearly dressed as an officer and within seconds told to do something completely different by Officer "B" who is not dressed the same next to an unmarked police car.

It was in the dark & a confusing/chaotic situation with flashing lights all over the place & I think factors into it.

As well, is that standard procedure to reach into someone's car, grab them and try to unlock the car, as I read it? If Scheffler dragged him for a few feet or seconds, was he really in the wrong?

I hope we find out sooner than later & move on. Scheffler has handled this extremely welll and applaud him for that.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

https://www.aol.com/sports/scottie-scheffler-incident-louisville-police-154703317.html

Scottie Scheffler incident: Louisville police release findings of investigation into police officer

"Charges against Scheffler have not been dropped, and police indicated they will let the judicial process run its course."

Cop that filed that report should be criminally charge for filing a fake police report. He has to be pissed there happened to be a camera over there

Missouri 14 OSU 3

It’s gonna get better before it gets better.

edited May 23, 2024 2:35PM

More info about Det. Brian Gillis. Been disciplined several times for wrecking cars and missing court dates. Even got suspended 5 days for doing "donuts" in a parking lot in a police car with someone intoxicated in his car

https://x.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/1793732746332020985

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited May 24, 2024 12:00PM

Saw the videos that were released yesterday. Not looking good for Mr. Gillis - although there was a portion blocked out of the video.

Help me understand this fact - where's the video on all the other bodycams of officers that are shown assiting Mr. Gillis in the arrest?

Plus, why would the DA or prosecuters think that letting this proceed any further is a good idea? The prosecuting attorney that was shown on video earlier this week came across as difficult & if I'm being honest, not too bright.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

Videos are made to be edited. Selective presentation to fit an agenda.

@estang said:
    Saw the videos that were released yesterday. Not looking good for Mr. Gillis - although there was a portion blocked out of the video.

Help me understand this fact - where's the video on all the other bodycams of officers that are shown assiting Mr. Gillis in the arrest?

Plus, why would the DA or prosecuters think that letting this proceed any further is a good idea? The prosecuting attorney that was shown on video earlier this week came across as difficult & if I'm being honest, not too bright.

They claim there is no body cam footage

In fact Gilis has already been disciplined for not turning his camera on.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/officer-disciplined-body-worn-camera-footage-scheffler-arrest-110520117?&ad=dirN&debug=0&prod=DS&cmpgn=medici&annot=false&sameTabLaunch=false&o=APN12178&installSource=other&ctype=web&browser=FireFox&darkMode=false&ueid=DBF3D1D9-90F8-476F-97E6-BA485FDF999B&doi=2023-02-08

Gillis has a significant history of misconduct and I doubt this is the first time that hes exaggerated his reports. It just so happens this time he did it to someone famous enough for people to start asking questions.

The videoes all support exactly what the witnesses and reporters who were there have reported that Scottie did nothing and the charges

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited May 24, 2024 1:56PM

color me 1000% unsurprised by how this is playing out. the moment I heard about this, i knew it was one gigantic nothing burger.

go back and read #1-6 that i posted, then put on your thinking cap. i obviously wasn't there, but i was almost all but certain that i knew what actually transpired. i don't know Scheffler personally but i know someone who knows his caddie, Ted Scott, very well. and as a result, the guy i know has insight on what type of indvidual Scheffler is. he is a God-fearing man, just as Scott is. that's the primary reason why they work together. so the thought of Scottie intentionally disobeying an officer's command and proceeding to commit a felony is the absolute height of lunacy.

everyone is familiar with the darkness, the inclement weather and the chaos surrounding this situation, but i will repeat what i said earlier just in case you glossed over it. when pro golfers are trying to make their way to the course and happen to encounter a routine traffic accident, they are authorized to carefully circumvent it with credentials in hand. it happens a LOT. one tour pro tweeted that he had probably encountered 100+ such situations in his career, but he would think twice about ever doing what he's allowed to do again after what happened to Scheffler.

and i'll repeat one other important nugget i stated up above: not once did Scheffler name-drop Gillis. think about that for a second. tell me a #1-ranked athlete in any other sport who would have handled the situation the way Scheffler did. heck, tell me what YOU would have done? know what I would have said? once I realized that Gillis had no idea who I was, and once I realized that he was completely blind to the obvious misunderstanding, and once I realized he was hellbent on taking me to jail, I guarandamntee you I would have let him known that I was Scottie Scheffler simply trying to get to the PGA Championship for my tee time.

but Scheffler didn't do that, and that is unreal to me. that is a character trait that few possess. but again, we're talking about an upstanding individual here, not a highfalutin pro athlete who thinks he/she is above the law.

lo and behold, here we are days later and the picture is becoming quite lucid now. an overzealous, hypersensitive cop with a questionable history did the deed.

again, color me 1000% unsurprised.

The part I might disagree with is this being a "nothing burger", though if you were referring to the charges being ridiculous and a hand being overplayed you might be right.

It does seem like it messed up his tournament a bit. I hear it was an important one.

It also seems like this particular officer doesn't have the right temperament.

This other part sounds suspect.

when pro golfers are trying to make their way to the course and happen to encounter a routine traffic accident, they are authorized to carefully circumvent it with credentials in hand. it happens a LOT. one tour pro tweeted that he had probably encountered 100+ such situations in his career, but he would think twice about ever doing what he's allowed to do again after what happened to Scheffler.

Was there a law from the Bagger Vance era where this was written?

"If a Professional Golfer comes upon a broken down carriage they may steer their chariot around it observing all tumbleweeds while displaying their golfer's smile."

Do we really have traffic laws specific to professional Golfers for the purpose of going around accidents? Can amateur golfers do anything special?

@bgr said:
    The part I might disagree with is this being a "nothing burger", though if you were referring to the charges being ridiculous and a hand being overplayed you might be right.

It does seem like it messed up his tournament a bit. I hear it was an important one.

It also seems like this particular officer doesn't have the right temperament.

This other part sounds suspect.

when pro golfers are trying to make their way to the course and happen to encounter a routine traffic accident, they are authorized to carefully circumvent it with credentials in hand. it happens a LOT. one tour pro tweeted that he had probably encountered 100+ such situations in his career, but he would think twice about ever doing what he's allowed to do again after what happened to Scheffler.

Was there a law from the Bagger Vance era where this was written?

"If a Professional Golfer comes upon a broken down carriage they may steer their chariot around it observing all tumbleweeds while displaying their golfer's smile."

Do we really have traffic laws specific to professional Golfers for the purpose of going around accidents? Can amateur golfers do anything special?

Next time I'm stuck in a traffic jam and I know there's an accident ahead. In the clear lane when an ambulance or police car rushes by, I'll know the victims are about to get some needed help. If it's a regular car rushing by, I'll know it's a professional golfer who must get to the tournament on time. 😉

Still wondering why officer did not ask for his license/ID. Or for that matter why no officer asked for it. Or why Scottie did not offer to produce it. When did they realize who he was? Was he driving without a license?

@bgr
    @stevek

the general vicinity of the course, where there is always heavy traffic

not three states over

this guy is a tour player

@galaxy27 said:
    @bgr
    @stevek

the general vicinity of the course, where there is always heavy traffic

not three states over

this guy is a tour player

I don’t disbelieve you. We have some amazing laws. I just was hoping I could read the statute. I bet it’s hilarious.

@bgr said:

I don’t disbelieve you. We have some amazing laws. I just was hoping I could read the statute. I bet it’s hilarious.

i live in the 4th largest city in America.
    the next time i take a seamless drive to work in the morning will be the first time. luckily for me, i'm extended grace when an accident brings traffic to a standstill for an extended period of time. no harm, no foul.

the PGA Tour doesn't have a provision whereby a golfer can switch his morning tee time to the afternoon if a similar situation presents itself. if Scheffler has an 8:08 tee time, he better be on the box at 8:08. if not, sayonara.

again, this is the surrounding area of the golf course. innumerable vehicles. increased risk of an accident. as Michael Kim stated, most cops understand the situation and accommodate the participants, for very logical and very common sense reasons.

but it's all fun and games until you stumble across an accident scene that has resulted in a death and you cross paths with an officer who not only doesn't know you from Adam, but -- to steal your words -- doesn't possess the proper temperament.

May have been one of those "perfect storm" situations.

Perhaps a belligerent cop who shouldn't be on the force, and archaic PGA rules regarding missing tee-off times.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Still wondering why officer did not ask for his license/ID. Or for that matter why no officer asked for it. Or why Scottie did not offer to produce it. When did they realize who he was? Was he driving without a license?

Gillisis a detective. He out ranks officers.

Why didnt Gillis have his body camera turned on which hes supposed to and been reprimanded for it already?

Theres other videos of other cops asking reporters who was just arrested. Every profession has people that shouldnt be there

Missouri 14 OSU 3