Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you like or not like when old threads are resurrected and brought back up to the top?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious.

Some resurrected threads are a treat to revisit; and some others are not.

Comments

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 2:43PM

Exactly as you said, when I see a thread resurrected with a title of “I have a 1982 penny that is gold” I’m always a little eye roll to that. However when it’s a thread that says, “my collection of Libertas Americana medals” I am quick to click the thread. Personally, I think there was an unwritten rule about “dead” threads being resurrected when it comes to someone continuing from 4 years ago about a Lincoln cent, however when a great numismatic topic, I personally find the reopening a true welcome. Many times I don’t remember or didn’t open the original thread!

Edited to add: using the regular search bar, the topics come up in no particular order. Many people on other forums are confused (meaning non-coin people). Often times they are “yelled” at for not searching and continuing a thread in many forums, others chastise touching a “dead thread”. Hard for new people to know what is acceptable here

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @NewEnglandRarities is on the money, I would love to see the all the old "I have a 64 SMS Kennedy" put down. But there are many old posts with real numismatic value that are great to reread or read for the first time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let sleeping dogs lie. I am my sixties, and some of the resurrected threads started when I was in my forties. I just ignore them and realize they will not go away, unfortunately.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I've been a mod at Tomshardware for a very long time, and the policy there has always been to lock necro threads that get resurrected by a poster who doesn't understand that a new thread is better for worthwhile topics.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like - a good break from certain borish threads

Coins & Currency
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this one of them?

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

There has been a good run recently of worthwhile bumps.

How you find them is beyond me.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

No issue with them. Ones that provide education surely outweigh the empty ones.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it is EXTREMELY pertinent, then, no.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey you crazy fans of necroposting...here's a 1964 SMS Lincoln cent thread resurrected by someone who apparently has "all 48 SMS Lincoln cents"!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1070615/is-this-a-1964-sms-new-to-this-so-no-idea-links-to-images-are-below

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, some ancient posts are rubbish, but some are gold. I've been duped a few times reading what I thought was a current topic, only to find myself reading concerns from years ago. Too bad there isn't some kind of Forum Filing System where any string resurrected from six months back appears with a red title.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 6:12AM

Nobody wants to see the posts that are 95% bickering with nothing to answer the O/P question or outrageous claims again UNLESS there is is proof of the original claim or a concession by the O/P as to the actual established factual status of their item.

Old educational threads can be quite useful, informative and interesting. And they can be found easily by using the search function, so go ahead and search and revive a few educational ones. Use the assets available here to improve this thing that we all enjoy-the CU discussion boards.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends. We cannot tell exactly how old the coin is, without a date, any more than we can tell how old a pair of jeans are, by looking at the stitching close up. Somebody starts engaging dead people and it can be a little weird ...yet, somehow I'm going to have fun with it, numismatically...... as long as I can, if possible.

How about those prognostication threads ? Like what will buy more food in five years ?
    Bitcoin or gold ? Neither. It's gonna cost an arm an a leg.

HE>I

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 6:23AM

Like, highly recommend - Can be refreshing like somebody opening a window - especially when get tired of the CAC threads where they going around and around.

Coins & Currency
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Like - a good break from certain borish threads

Here's the only reason that you have to worry about these old threads. :D

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to see certain old threads brought to the top of page 1; or alternatively I like to see new threads posted as updates to certain old threads.

Certain threads are gems (MS65 or better), with great content, topics, discussion, varied opinions, solid advice and photographs.

I understand that an update (either though a TTT; or through a new thread based upon an old thread) of a gem++++ thread from many, many years ago is forthcoming.

I am looking forward to that update very much. :)

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    I have a feeling this thread will pop back up in 5 years.

I've added this thread to my saved list. If I'm still around in 5 years I'll try to remember to resurrect it. ;)

Philippians 4:4-7

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2024 2:56PM

Yes, I have only been here for 12 years and I may have missed something.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the new post has something to add that is relevant to the original thread, yes.

When its just some newbie trying to find a place to put something that isn't relevant, no.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problem with it. As long as you can add some value to what's already been said.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I have no problem with it. As long as you can add some value to what's already been said.

Ditto. ;)

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no value to this thread but for some reason I just can't help going back to it every once in a while.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/819143/my-wheat-cents-hoard/p1

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 11:46AM

I generally dislike it unless there is a very good reason for doing so. If one must resurrect a very old discussion, I’d prefer a new thread that (if necessary) summarizes and links to the old one.

The worst thing is when the second or third response is from a deceased forum member, and there is a moment of shock and confusion before my brain realizes I’ve opened an ancient thread.

The definition of “old” matters, too. A few weeks or months? No big deal. Years or even decades? Rarely a good idea.

That said, I’ve set a calendar reminder to bump this thread in 2032 ;)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    I have a feeling this thread will pop back up in 5 years.

I've added this thread to my saved list. If I'm still around in 5 years I'll try to remember to resurrect it. ;)

Amateurs! I’ve set a notice for 10 years from today.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently threads go back to July of 2002, and at 50 threads per page, and a whopping 6388 pages, that's over 319,000 conversations. If you read ten a day, you'll catch up in just over eighty seven years.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Currently threads go back to July of 2002, and at 50 threads per page, and a whopping 6388 pages, that's over 319,000 conversations. If you read ten a day, you'll catch up in just over eighty seven years.

...provided no one creates a new thread.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like most, I think it depends upon the reason. If I start a thread about beginning a new numismatic project , and then pop in every few months (or years) to give updates, that's fine... Or, if someone started a thread years ago, but some new discovery can add to the dialogue and someone else resurrects it, I think that's acceptable too.... Or, even if a newbie reads an old thread in doing some research and resurrects it with a legitimate question, I think that's OK.

However, some old threads are kick started for not so obvious reasons... possibly malicious... I don't know. Those are a bit annoying... But based on my experience on this Forum, unless it's a real Troll performing The Resurrection and the thread sticks around because some of us are more than willing to oblige the Troll, old threads typically disappear off the front page quickly. Just don't engage...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once a thread lies dormant for a year or more a warning flag should pop up when it is resurrected.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t make a difference to me at all, the first thing I do when I open a thread is check the timestamp. Also, I can tell pretty quickly when I see several avatar pics that I’ve never seen before.

I really enjoy reading some of the old threads here, especially when you compare the perspective between then and now. I just get frustrated that all of the old pictures are gone, so many of them are now rendered useless.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like revisiting old threads, especially, if they are interesting and ones that I didn't catch the first time around.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always been fine with it.. there’s still some really good timeless info out there

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
    edited May 13, 2024 5:51AM

If anyone does resurrected any old threads, they should make sure you can see all the original pictures posted in that thread. For whatever reason, many of the pictures posted in these old threads seem to drop out or die off. They probably weren't compatible with this new systems format.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of the old pictures are gone because we had to use a third party host for image files... like Photobucket. Many of those links are broken when the accounts went away.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    If anyone does resurrected any old threads, they should make sure you can see all the original pictures posted in that thread. For whatever reason, many of the pictures posted in these old threads seem to drop out or die off. They probably weren't compatible with this new systems format.

In the past we couldn’t drag-and-drop, but instead had to host the images ourselves. Many chose Photbucket, but over time images get deleted from accounts or private hosting ends.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:

@OAKSTAR said:

In the past we couldn’t drag-and-drop, but instead had to host the images ourselves. Many chose Photbucket, but over time images get deleted from accounts or private hosting ends.

Yep, got it. That makes sense.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t bother me at all.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer them greatly to the posting of gutter cents from new members.

LCoopie = Les
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    I prefer them greatly to the posting of gutter cents from new members.

Thank you for my hard laugh of the day👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd agree with the "Adding pertinent information" comments.

If the original and often long-gone poster's questions were all answered correctly, then resurrecting the thread with a comment along the lines of "Hey, I've got one of these too" or, even worse, "nice coin", is unwelcome.

On the other hand, if someone posted a mystery item ten years ago and no-one back then gave a definitive answer, then someone posting "Hey, I've got one of these too" is indeed pertinent, since it proves there's more than one of the things, and perhaps newer members might see the old thread and provide an answer for "both" coins (even if the OP is now long-gone).

Likewise, if an old thread has "answers" that were all wrong or incomplete, I'd have no problem with a new-member expert resurrecting an old thread to post correct information, especially if the old thread is actually giving false or misleading information.

Posting a new thread, and then posting a link to the old information, is perhaps preferable in many circumstances, but that's more work than simply posting a reply, so I don't fault people for doing it.

If a poster is doing it repeatedly, maliciously, or just bumping their post count for no real reason, then feel free to click that "Flag" button and let the Mods deal with it.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file