Home Sports Talk
Options

Say "Hello" to the NL East first place Philadelphia Phillies

stevekstevek Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Phillies got off to a little bit of a slow start, but are playing some good ball right now.

We also have the best record in the National League.

I realize the Braves are going to be very tough to beat, so I'm enjoying it while I can. 😊

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Steve, guess who my baseball team is? :D If we don't watch it your red hot Phils will have us buried by the all-star break!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    Hey Steve, guess who my baseball team is? :D If we don't watch it your red hot Phils will have us buried by the all-star break!

I'm still nervous as yell from last season. When in a "short" period of time, the Phillies, Eagles, and Penn State had high expectations, and good season records, but all three had monumental collapses.

So rather than post the smack seven days a week, I decided to just do it occasionally and see if that helps lessen the jinx any? 🤔

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

• Options

Another win yesterday.

I'm not going to post any parade route directions yet.

Maybe next week. 😆

• Options

Phillies leading 10-1 in tonight's game, coasting to an easy win.

• Options

Another good win for the Phillies today. A lusty 9-1 record in their last 10 games.

As expected, looks like it's gonna be a two horse race with the Braves in the NL East.

Frankly, although it's still early, the other three teams in the NL East are already basically out of it.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Another good win for the Phillies today. A lusty 9-1 record in their last 10 games.

As expected, looks like it's gonna be a two horse race with the Braves in the NL East.

Frankly, although it's still early, the other three teams in the NL East are already basically out of it.

I am very interested to see how the Phils do once they hit the tough part of their schedule. Braves have played through a gauntlet of a schedule so far with the exception of playing the Marlins. But I agree with you Steve this appears to be a 2-horse race in the east this summer.

• Options

Phillies cooled down a little bit, but so have the Braves.

Still though, the Braves in second place in the NL East, have the second best record in the NL, next to the Phillies with the best.

Long way to go yet in this season. Anything can happen, pitcher injuries, etc. That being said, it's been a very enjoyable season thus far.

• Options

I'm almost envious of Mets fans. The Mets are already out of it, and so their fans can enjoy the rest of the Spring, along with Summer and Fall, without the constant worry of a darn pennant race. Must be nice.

Mets fans get to have fun sitting on a park bench feeding the pigeons, flying a kite when the weather is windy, taking long walks along the Hudson River, and other forms of entertainment, rather than the stress and strain of rooting for a World Series championship.

• Options

@stevek said
    Phillies cooled down a little bit, but so have the Braves.

Still though, the Braves in second place in the NL East, have the second best record in the NL, next to the Phillies with the best.

Long way to go yet in this season. Anything can happen, pitcher injuries, etc. That being said, it's been a very enjoyable season thus far.

It always boils down to who's hot and healthy at the end, not always the most "talented or highest paid" team. This will be a very interesting race in the east!

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I'm almost envious of Mets fans. The Mets are already out of it, and so their fans can enjoy the rest of the Spring, along with Summer and Fall, without the constant worry of a darn pennant race. Must be nice.

Mets fans get to have fun sitting on a park bench feeding the pigeons, flying a kite when the weather is windy, taking long walks along the Hudson River, and other forms of entertainment, rather than the stress and strain of rooting for a World Series championship.

Shouldn’t they have to pay a carbon tax for all the money they’re burning??

• Options

Phillies keep rolling, my Braves need to wake up!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Yes, the Phillies have opened up a little bit of daylight. However I'm not forgetting that the Braves won the NL East by 14 games last season.

• Options

So, first of all, tip of the hat to the 2024 Phils who may not lose another game this season, but maybe the baseball Gods are reversing the roles in the NL East this season? Phils win say 110 games and beat out the wildcard squeaking in 90-win Braves by 20 games. And then as all is reversed by the Gods where the Braves become the hunter with nothing to lose, they then knock out the 110-win Phils in a divisional round matchup just reverse of the past 2 seasons. :)

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    So, first of all, tip of the hat to the 2024 Phils who may not lose another game this season, but maybe the baseball Gods are reversing the roles in the NL East this season? Phils win say 110 games and beat out the wildcard squeaking in 90-win Braves by 20 games. And then as all is reversed by the Gods where the Braves become the hunter with nothing to lose, they then knock out the 110-win Phils in a divisional round matchup just reverse of the past 2 seasons. :)

Could happen. But...the Phillies do seem on a mission this season. I've never before seen such Phillies team enthusiasm for the game as with this Phillies 2024 team.

Surely I can't expect this same lusty win percentage to continue for 162 games. MLB as I'm sure you know, is a game of streaks. A losing streak is bound to happen sometime this season. How the Phillies respond to it will determine whether or not they are capable of becoming champions.

That being said, I've got a good feeling about this team. Then again, I just enjoyed a delicious snow crab dinner, so maybe that is the main cause for the good feeling. 😆

• Options

The Phillies are starting to frighten me a little bit with a win percentage of .708

i mean that is only slightly under the winning percentage of .714 by the 1927 New York Yankees, widely considered to be the greatest MLB team of all time.

I'm getting extremely nervous about this - uncharted waters and all that. 😨

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Braves down by 5 games already in May?

Nobody would have thunk it. Of course still a long way to go.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The Phillies are starting to frighten me a little bit with a win percentage of .708

i mean that is only slightly under the winning percentage of .714 by the 1927 New York Yankees, widely considered to be the greatest MLB team of all time.

Wonder if they have an Eagles all time high quality choke in them?

• Options

One thing about Steve, he can dish it out but he can take it too so I guess I really have no problem with the chiefs bashing.
    And I actually like the Phillies team, a lot of ‘gamers’ like Bryce who I’ve liked and respected more and more as the years go by.
    Hope the Phil’s don’t choke but also hope the eagles don’t sniff the playoffs.
    Best I can do 😛

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt get too overly excited about the 5 game lead just yet. At the end of the week the Braves will spend the next 3 weeks playing 3 against the Pirates, 3 against the A's, 2 against Boston and 8 against the Nats. If the Braves come out of that stretch with a .500 or below record they have a problem and its time to claim the Phillies the heavy divisional favorites. Everyone is expecting them to make up some significant ground if not retake the lead during that stretch though.

ATL has gotten some of its harder series out of the way and Philly still has a lot of their ahead. Phillies remaining strength of schedule is like middle of the road with ATLs being one of the easier ones.

I certainly expect both to be in the playoffs

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Wonder if they have an Eagles all time high quality choke in them?

Phillies choked quite badly last season. That's what haunts me.

They couldn't hit a beach ball in those last two games.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    I wouldnt get too overly excited about the 5 game lead just yet. At the end of the week the Braves will spend the next 3 weeks playing 3 against the Pirates, 3 against the A's, 2 against Boston and 8 against the Nats. If the Braves come out of that stretch with a .500 or below record they have a problem and its time to claim the Phillies the heavy divisional favorites. Everyone is expecting them to make up some significant ground if not retake the lead during that stretch though.

ATL has gotten some of its harder series out of the way and Philly still has a lot of their ahead. Phillies remaining strength of schedule is like middle of the road with ATLs being one of the easier ones.

I gotta agree with ya. I knew the bottom three teams in the NL East were going nowhere this season and so did everyone else. But in my opinion, there's little if no chance the Braves are going to quit. They're just too tough.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

I gotta agree with ya. I knew the bottom three teams in the NL East were going nowhere this season and so did everyone else. But in my opinion, there's little if no chance the Braves are going to quit. They're just too tough.

For sure their lineup is just ridiculous that can win games putting up a ton of runs any given day.

I do hope its still close between the two in the middle of September. The end of the year gets boring when a team has locked up the division and WCs arent really in jeopardy. Who ever did the scheduling having the Braves finishing the season with KC should be fired. September should be nothing but divisional games for everyone not Philly going to Toronto or playing the Cubs. Save the exciting rivalries for the last month and keep it interesting

• Options

How can ya not root for a player such as this? 😊

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/phillies-bryce-harper-helps-local-high-schooler-land-date-for-prom-154809449.html

Phillies' Bryce Harper helps local high schooler land date for prom
    Harper came through in the clutch in a different way this week

• Options

Steve that is really cool. Glad the kid got a hug also, at first I thought she was going to leave him hanging. 😆

• Options

I was watching when Suarez was on the mound tonight. He’s really good and his release must be hard to pick up.

• Options

This is gotta be some sort of misprint?

Philadelphia
    36 14 .720 0.0

Atlanta
    28 18 .609 6.0

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOW ?...........

It's just a Philly Thing.
    I thought I heard someone mumble Dallas ?
    For what it's worth, just another tumble weed.

• Options

Phillies moving like a tremendous machine. With a lusty .725 win percentage.

The 1927 Yankees only had a .714 win percentage.

Could this Phillies team wind-up being the GOAT?

• Options

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek

last home Phillies game you attended?

inquiring minds wanna know

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @stevek

Been a number of years.

My Maseratti does one-eighty-five. I lost my license, now I don't drive.

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:
    @stevek

Been a number of years.

My Maseratti does one-eighty-five. I lost my license, now I don't drive.

But are you a midnight toker? :)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @stevek

When parking was free, and your seat was dusted before you sat down. Lol.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:

@galaxy27 said:
    @stevek

When parking was free, and your seat was dusted before you sat down. Lol.

Admission was also free. You'd just sneak in thru the back gate.

• Options

I sure didn't like that loss last night against the Rockies.

Phillies had a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the ninth, two outs, and the next batter hits a solo home run to send the game into extra innings. The Rockies then won the game.

MLB has always been a game of streaks, and with the Phillies phenomenal record, it would seem logical for them to possibly have a cold streak. I hope last night's game isn't the harbinger of that?

• Options

We tend to expect things to normalize out like that but rest assured that’s not the case.

I believe this is described in the gamblers fallacy.

Now, I’m sure you’re aware of this but I figured some reassurance wouldn’t hurt!

• Options

@bgr said:
    We tend to expect things to normalize out like that but rest assured that’s not the case.

I believe this is described in the gamblers fallacy.

Now, I’m sure you’re aware of this but I figured some reassurance wouldn’t hurt!

The gambler's fallacy is usually applied to games of numbers such as roulette, craps, the big wheel, etc. That being said, I think your gamblers fallacy analogy here has relevance. But i just think the adaptation of it is a bit different for sports.

In this case, it's a fact that MLB is a game of streaks. Most teams if not virtually all teams have various winning streaks and losing streaks throughout a season. The problem is trying to predict when the streak begins and ends.

For example that game last night. I was listening to it on the radio. The Phillies as mentioned only had one out to go, and the game was in the bag. The Phillies are red hot, and have been winning games like this all season. In my past gambling days I'd have bet $20 to make a dollar the Phillies win that game. What happened in that game is one main reason I quit sports betting. Because chit such as that seemed to happen too often.

But to this day, I still enjoy trying to predict and/or pick a winner, just for the fun of it. And the interesting thing that I would have never figured on, I've become even a bigger sports fan doing it that way. Sure I get a bit depressed when my team loses. But having to fork out my hard earned money to a stinking bookie is even more depressing. 😉

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

outside of Harper i can't name a single Phillies player

but because they are playing so well, i decided to glance at their team roster & stats

this guy is dealing

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    outside of Harper i can't name a single Phillies player

but because they are playing so well, i decided to glance at their team roster & stats

this guy is dealing

I agree. Scary good this season!

• Options

@bgr said:

I think your post helped end the Phillies losing streak tonight at 1 game. 😉

Phillies now up by an amazing 7 games in the NL East. I realize it doesn't mean chit if the Phillies don't do well in the playoffs, but for now I'm sure enjoying the ride. 😊

• Options

Steve, I thought this was a cool comparison of a Brave lefty vs a Philly lefty.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

Both great pitchers for sure.

I recall about Carlton. As a workout, he used to pound his left hand into sand countless numbers of times for many years. For most, feeling sand gently may have sort of a soothing feeling. But Carlton would pound it in there full force, I'm guessing at least dozens of times in a workout session. He probably had a grip like an 800 pound gorilla, and I'm sure doing that sand exercise helped him to throw one of the nastiest sliders ever.

• Options

@stevek said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Both great pitchers for sure.

I recall about Carlton. As a workout, he used to pound his left hand into sand countless numbers of times for many years. For most, feeling sand gently may have sort of a soothing feeling. But Carlton would pound it in there full force, I'm guessing at least dozens of times in a workout session. He probably had a grip like an 800 pound gorilla, and I'm sure doing that sand exercise helped him to throw one of the nastiest sliders ever.

That's a neat nugget! I never heard that before but makes total sense in regard to that slider you mentioned.

• Options

Well as expected, the Phillies have cooled off a bit going 5-5 in their past 10 games.

However the Braves have gone 4-6, so the Phils still have a very pretty 7 game lead.

• Options

That was a good game tonight. That 2nd inning. Oof.

• Options

Braves going 1-3 against the Nats and 1-2 against the Pirates was a disaster for them

Still a lot of season left but that should have been a stretch where the braves closed the gap or took the lead. Philly has to be considered the favorite at this point

• Options

MLB Teams With Highest Payrolls in 2024
    RANK TEAM TOTAL PAYROLL
    1 Mets $307,848,491
    2 Yankees $305,366,300
    3 Astros $249,045,103
    4 Phillies $244,800,966

I've noticed some Mets fans have become quite grumpy. I'd be grumpy to, having the highest payroll in MLB, resulting in such a dismal season record. With the Mets already out of the pennant race. Good grief. 😆

• Options

@stevek said:
    MLB Teams With Highest Payrolls in 2024
    RANK TEAM TOTAL PAYROLL
    1 Mets $307,848,491
    2 Yankees $305,366,300
    3 Astros $249,045,103
    4 Phillies $244,800,966

I've noticed some Mets fans have become quite grumpy. I'd be grumpy to, having the highest payroll in MLB, resulting in such a dismal season record. With the Mets already out of the pennant race. Good grief. 😆

Something like 50 mil of that is for Scherzer and Verlander. Its rather impressive how bad the Mets can always be Met like thinking McNeil is worth 15 million a year or giving Nimmo that contract on top of thatt. Its certainly very funny how they could fail for years then say lets pay the same players even more while being cheap with Alonso who will leave in free agency

• Options

Well that was a brutal series. Great pitching and great defense on that Phillies team. Oof.