Home Sports Talk

Say "Hello" to the NL East first place Philadelphia Phillies

2»

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Well that was a brutal series. Great pitching and great defense on that Phillies team. Oof.

Long way to go yet. I'm not counting any chickens yet, and definitely not counting out the Braves.

Of course the Mets have already been put out to pasture. 😆

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bgr said:
    Well that was a brutal series. Great pitching and great defense on that Phillies team. Oof.

Long way to go yet. I'm not counting any chickens yet, and definitely not counting out the Braves.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭

What a terrible run by the Braves going 2-6 against the Nats

Missouri 14 OSU 3

9 games up already this season over the very tough Braves.

i've been having some very pleasant dreams this season. One recurring dream is I walk into a bar, say loudly that I'm a Phillies fan, and the pretty women start swarming all over me.

The rest of the dream is none of your business. 😎

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

The soccer slide from Bryce was pretty cool. That dude knows how to make new fans that’s for sure.

@Darin said:
    The soccer slide from Bryce was pretty cool. That dude knows how to make new fans that’s for sure.

I still haven't given up on a Phillies-Royals World Series.

If that happens, the smack in here may be brutal. Might have to tell the women and children to stay away from Sports Talk during that time. 😉

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

My first thought when I saw that slide was.... Nooooooooooooooooooo! The uniform is going to shred!

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

If that happens, the smack in here may be brutal. Might have to tell the women and children to stay away from Sports Talk during that time. 😉

I would love it but don’t think kc can get there.
    I would like to see the Phillies and Dodgers get to the NL pennant series and then see Philly clobber them. It will be really tough for any team other than the Yankees to win the AL.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

I would like to see the Phillies and Dodgers get to the NL pennant series and then see Philly clobber them. It will be really tough for any team other than the Yankees to win the AL.

While I certainly would enjoy a Phillies-Royals WS, the Yankees is of course the team that every NL winner would most enjoy defeating in any WS.

Still a long way to go.

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

While I certainly would enjoy a Phillies-Royals WS, the Yankees is of course the team that every NL winner would most enjoy defeating in any WS.

Still a long way to go.

I should have also said I do think the Orioles have a chance to win the AL because they are a very solid team. Cleveland maybe if their pitching holds up.

Knee surgery for Realmuto

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

Yea, i knew it was going too good.

About a month off I read.

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

Yea, i knew it was going too good.

About a month off I read.

Supposedly. Never know with surgeries especially knees for catchers. I guess they could move Harper back to the outfield and try him at first base to get him back quicker if needed.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

1 month seems short if there was removal of part of the meniscus. Similar as Trout. 4 weeks would be an amazing timeline to even get back to DH. I hope he's back sooner than later.

Now a double digit lead in the NL East.

Amazing!

Phillies now with the best winning percentage in MLB. 😊

Phillies turned a 1-3-5 triple play for the first time in MLB since 1929

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Phillies coming up to the All-Star break with a 9 game lead and best record in MLB.

I'll take it. 😊

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big series obviously for the Braves, but the needle won't be moved in favor of one team or the other unless one sweeps the other. Phillies sweep means 12 game lead and division locked up for all intents and purposes, Braves sweep and then 6 back with some momentum and hope for the division. Any 2 of 3 by either team is not a huge difference in the current scheme of things.

Phillies annihilated the Dodgers 10-1.

Nice game, I just hope the Phillies remember to do that in the playoffs.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bgr said:

;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Mets have been playing some better baseball lately. Just taking a quick glance at it, they may have a chance of getting into the playoffs.

Still a long way to go.

It’s guaranteed. Now watch how they break their fans hearts again.

@bgr said:

Mets are 25-25 at home this season. Quite dismal considering they have the highest payroll in MLB. Yet they have a winning record on the road.

May I suggest that the stadium crew for the Mets home games, change around the signs and such at their ballpark, to fool the Mets players into thinking they're playing a road game. Maybe they'll play better. 😆

@stevek said:

@bgr said:

Mets are 25-25 at home this season. Quite dismal considering they have the highest payroll in MLB. Yet they have a winning record on the road.

May I suggest that the stadium crew for the Mets home games, change around the signs and such at their ballpark, to fool the Mets players into thinking they're playing a road game. Maybe they'll play better. 😆

They sort of have the highest payroll. Over 60 million of it is going to Mad Max, Verlander, and the O's back up catcher lol ;'

What they really should try is changing all their signs so maybe they can forget theyre the Mets. Chargers should try that too

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Dam ugly 18-3 loss at home against the pathetic A's. Sure does leave a sour taste going into the All-Star break.

That being said, Phillies enjoy an 8.5 game lead in the NL East, and the best record in MLB. Better expectations thus far than my wildest imagination.

We shall see what the second half brings.

Rough day for the Braves, Fried and Albies both going on the DL and both sound like they could be season ending injuries. Fried has a forearm issue and Albies is out at least 8 weeks with a wrist fracture

Its Phillys division to lose at this point. Going to be hard for the Braves to make up that many games with the injuries theyve had

Missouri 14 OSU 3

NL East Odds:
    Philadelphia Phillies: -800
    Atlanta Braves: +600
    New York Mets: +10000
    Washington Nationals: +50000
    Miami Marlins: +100000

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

The pesky Mets haven't quit yet it seems.

It may be possible the Mets might advance to a point whereby it becomes remotely conceivable that they have a slightly respectable showing when losing their first playoff series.

Well the Mets just lost Senga for the year with a calf injury so theres that

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Philly just traded for the Angels closer

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Phillies lose the game on a bases loaded walk. Doesn't get much uglier than that. Other than it's now a 5 game losing streak and their NL East lead is down to 5 games.

New NL East odds just came out: 😒

NL East Odds:
    Philadelphia Phillies: +1000000
    Atlanta Braves: -1000000
    New York Mets: +100
    Washington Nationals: +200
    Miami Marlins: +300

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly is in the midst of a slump but they have too much talent on the team not to pull out of it and be OK. One thing should be clear through the last few weeks, the bullpen needs some help and some rest. Overall the team has given up a ton of runs lately and the month of July was not kind to them. Actually, their record has been heading in the wrong direction most of the season after a fast start:
    April --- .679
    May --- .741
    June --- .577
    July --- .417

As I posted in another thread, MLB is all about the long season

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

The Phillies, like all too many teams, peaked too early. The Yankees at least have injuries to point to for their slide. I don't see the Phils doing much damage in the playoffs.

@Mistlin said:
    The Phillies, like all too many teams, peaked too early. The Yankees at least have injuries to point to for their slide. I don't see the Phils doing much damage in the playoffs.

I like the way the Phillies rebounded with a nice win on Sunday to break the losing streak. Especially off that mentioned Saturday game which was an abominable way to lose a baseball game.

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

it's about to be 1964 all over again.

Phillies coming back a bit which was to be expected. They're simply not a good enough team to be able to sustain that ultra-high win percentage from earlier in the season.

Meanwhile the Braves have slipped to third place behind the Casey Stengel managed Mets. I think Ed Kranepool is their batting leader.

Braves have had a brutal stretch of injuries. Acuna, Albies, Strider, Harris, even Lopez who was having a career year is down now too. Theyre basically trying to fix a leaking dam with a bunch of washed up veterans and guys from the minors that at at best backups. Arcia and Merrifield being the middle infield is tough.

Braves still have 7 games against the Phillies left and 3 against the Mets. They should get back into second place but that would be a massive collapse if they won the division even with that many head to head games left. Philly has 7 against the Braves, 7 against the Mets, 6 against Miami, 7 against the Nats left etc. They have a very favorable schedule left overall and get to spend their last week of the season playing the Cubs and Nats while the Braves are playing the Mets and Royals

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Braves have had a brutal stretch of injuries. Acuna, Albies, Strider, Harris, even Lopez who was having a career year is down now too. Theyre basically trying to fix a leaking dam with a bunch of washed up veterans and guys from the minors that at at best backups. Arcia and Merrifield being the middle infield is tough.

Braves still have 7 games against the Phillies left and 3 against the Mets. They should get back into second place but that would be a massive collapse if they won the division even with that many head to head games left. Philly has 7 against the Braves, 7 against the Mets, 6 against Miami, 7 against the Nats left etc. They have a very favorable schedule left overall and get to spend their last week of the season playing the Cubs and Nats while the Braves are playing the Mets and Royals

Believe me, I ain't counting any chickens yet.

Well on second thought, with an 8 game lead, I'm gonna count one. 🐔

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

Id be making playoff plans if I were you at this point. The Braves arent getting Strider or Acuna back this year, Albies if he does come back wrist injuries kill power for a year or two, Harris with the hamstring might come back but thats another iffy one when a ton of his value was his speed and defense with a decent bat

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

Id be making playoff plans if I were you at this point. The Braves arent getting Strider or Acuna back this year, Albies if he does come back wrist injuries kill power for a year or two, Harris with the hamstring might come back but thats another iffy one when a ton of his value was his speed and defense with a decent bat

All right then, I'll add another chicken. 🐔🐔

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

All right then, I'll add another chicken. 🐔🐔

Tomorrow would be a good day to go check out Home Depot for some lumber to start building the Chicken Coop lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Braves seemed cursed this year. Riley is now out a couple months with a fractured hand

Missouri 14 OSU 3

With all the college and pro football action, I almost forgot about the baseball season.

Phillies still up in the NL East, by 7 games with less than 20 games to play in the regular season.

The World Series winner at this point looks wide open to me.

Phillies spanked the Mets yesterday 12-2. Otherwise known as a double digit spanking. 😆

Ya know what's funny? Mets fans who actually believed that their Mets would catch the Phillies in the NL East this season. 🤣

2 out of 3 is better than 1 out of 3 ;)

Credit where credit is due, the Mets did fight back after a dismal beginning of the season, to get into the playoffs.

Frankly, I'll enjoy the Phillies winning the NL East for maybe around ten minutes, and then it's off to the playoffs, where in my view, I think the World Series winner is wide open this season.

I'm looking forward to a number of very interesting playoff games.