Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Share your 2024 world coin purchases

2»

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:
    May I ask, from where do you guys get the info for the: Very Rare Date or any other one that could help more between one coin versus another one.....

This book is also a great reference but it's hard to find and expensive when you do locate a copy

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    This book is also a great reference but it's hard to find and expensive when you do locate a copy

I see, it is not cheap - Last one sold was for $400 and another one on auction for $300

Thank you!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELuis said:

@JohnnyCache said:

I see, it is not cheap - Last one sold was for $400 and another one on auction for $300

Thank you!

I do not own that book either. It rarely shows up for sale (500 copies were printed I believe back in 1999) and is not cheap as you say. The Brad Yonaka books I do own and they cover all this coins and is not as expensive. I would suggest you buy the Yonaka book (s) if you do not own a copy already. You will be happy you did.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited April 20, 2024 1:03PM

Picked up this 1744 Mexico 1 real I needed for my collection:

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 11:15AM

1437 in Roman Numerals. Bingen mint Levinson I-36a

1494 Damm mint Levinson I-320

1493 Mainz mint Levinson I-303

1496 Mainz mint Levinson I-345

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 12:01PM

@JohnnyCache said:

@ELuis said:
    May I ask, from where do you guys get the info for the: Very Rare Date or any other one that could help more between one coin versus another one.....

The rarity ratings in Gilboy are mostly inaccurate. Very few I would describe as accurate. I have no idea how he came up with it. He shows a lot of Charles III dates as more common than FRD VI when only a few or low proportion are for Peru.

For example, the book claims the 1756, 1761, and 1765 1/2R as the most common and rates all three as "C" or "common" with an estimated 1000+ in VF. Maybe (probably big maybe) this many exist for the 1756 and 1761, but I'd place the chance of that for the 1765 as virtually zero.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:

@SimonW said:
    Overpaid to say the least 😂

Sorry that was me, but on the flip side you were the winner of a nice coin.

I don't think the price was too high.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭

Not much so far, but I did pick up this Coriosolites billon stater along with a couple of Maundy sets a couple months back. Dates to 75-50BC.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2024 12:29PM

Seller shipped me the wrong coin hence why I am editing my post. Never received the proper coin I had posted here.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 6:12PM

@ELuis said:
    And this one:

Edit to add: This is the second 1R Pillar type that I have bought, the first one was some 10 years ago, do not remember the year but it was also from Mexico Mint, I paid $28 for it and was the first one I sent to be graded to Anacs, came up as AU58 and I sold it some months after for $250.

I just got the coin today on a quick look in more detail, there is a dot on the right side of the first pillar:

The coin in hand looks much better.

And also the 1/2R 1763 In hand also looks great, there is a small detail on reverse, just hope that end up with a straight grade, will see.

Also the O on the mint

• Options
    JabshierJabshier Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 2:41AM

My 2024 purchases so far …mostly German coins and medals some raw proof coins I will send in for grading later on

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Tibor said:

1487 Brabant Antwerp mint Levinson II-A94 R5 2-3 collectible
    These are Jean Elsen's pictures.

Another date I need, although my 1481 slot has a Double Briquet from the same mint. The double griffon design is pretty cool.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked through my extras and at this time I don't have an extra 1487. I'm hoping to attend the ANA this August.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new coin purchased on GreatCollections as part of the recent group consigned there by @gscoins . I am very happy with this coin in hand, and it is a nice eye-appealing upgrade for me from a blast-white example in PCGS MS64 that has been in my collection for 12 years.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    edited May 11, 2024 9:15AM

Picked up these 2 Guatemala 1 reales (most lower denominations from Guatemala are holed over 40% per Yonaka):

The 1755 with multiples holes my guess it was sowed to clothing vs been put on some type of rope. Yonaka mentions this tradition in his book.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2024 9:15AM

A rare date from the 1 real Peru series (1751-1772) 1767 seems like a new variety with MA ligature not in Yonaka's book:

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 10:29AM

My Mexico 1 real collection 1732-1771 is coming along nicely:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilArnold said:
    I've always wanted one of these coins, so I decided to get one.

Fun Fact: When PCGS first created a label for the Gold Reserve coins I saw what they came up with - and I immediately went to the president at the time to get them to stop. They were going to use the Maple Leaf flag on the label, which wasn’t created until the early 1960s. It would’ve been anachronistic. This intrusion perhaps annoyed some people, so I was left to come up with something different on my own using the old ensign flag variation. The result was perhaps the most common TPG label for these coins. I wish I was a bit more creative and elegant with it, but the label endures. It was my first and only PCGS label that I designed.

I love those! Great pictures as always! :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,753 ✭✭✭✭✭