Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Share your 2024 world coin purchases

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 27, 2024 12:36PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

If you feel like sharing please do so. I will add mine in 2024 since I have done all the shopping I will be doing for 2023. One I get my coins graded I will add the 2023 purchases as well.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited December 9, 2023 12:14PM

Here is the much nicer EF-40 PCGS graded that sold for 1560$ on an estimate of 75$ to 150$. Mine cost me 77$. I tried to win the PCGS example but I dropped out at 900$ even that amount felt wrong to be bidding for the grade. At that time zero had been graded by NGC (in any grades) hence my bid. But by luck someone sent in a few 1755's to NGC for grading and not long after mine showed up for sale.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-141I8H/mexico-real-1755-mo-m-mexico-city-mint-ferdinand-vi-pcgs-ef-40

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Got this one a while back the only numerically graded 1755 Mexico 1 real at NGC. PCGS has 1 as well that is higher that sold for 1560$ not long ago. I tried to win the PCGS example it had last sold for 300$ but for some reason 2 people just went at it and it grades XF-40. Not worth that kind of money in that type of grade at least not to me.

There must be another reason for the extreme price. Was it an overdate or unknown variety? Even $300 for an XF is pretty strong money, not obscene, but high. $1560 is WAY high!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2023 5:43PM

@SimonW said:

Got this one a while back the only numerically graded 1755 Mexico 1 real at NGC. PCGS has 1 as well that is higher that sold for 1560$ not long ago. I tried to win the PCGS example it had last sold for 300$ but for some reason 2 people just went at it and it grades XF-40. Not worth that kind of money in that type of grade at least not to me.

There must be another reason for the extreme price. Was it an overdate or unknown variety? Even $300 for an XF is pretty strong money, not obscene, but high. $1560 is WAY high!

Here is the link:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-141I8H/mexico-real-1755-mo-m-mexico-city-mint-ferdinand-vi-pcgs-ef-40

It was the only 1755 graded when that auction occurred so the highest graded and still is the highest graded. I could not believe the final hammer price it last sold for 300$. I am glad I did not end up buying at 900$ + the juice. Mine is uglier sure but at 77$ I am OK with it.

Possibly 2 collectors fighting for the highest example graded.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice full 8 beads on this 5 Cent coin. Purchased in a ICCS AU 58 holder. Sent in to NGC and was quite pleased with the new grade.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only purchase at FUN from Cody Bushey. Colors are nicer than this NGC "Glamour" shot.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

Two Morgans:

Front:

Back:

Front:

Back:

• Options
    edited February 1, 2024 12:22PM

Happy to add this Mexico 1 real for the series I collect:

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A number of kobans I've posted on my Koban thread. I also have a couple of neat coins in grading. But this one just arrived yesterday.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinlover101 said:
    I got this one today. Bolivia 1854 Commemorative 1/2 Escudo. Potosi Mint.

Eliasberg had one in his gold coin collection but this one is a better grade at MS61 vs AU Details.

cool coin

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Picked up these two for my Mexico 1 real collection (1732-1771):

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilArnold no good deed goes unpunished! But I like the version you came up with.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) Rare coin.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 10:53AM

Have bought some so far, this is one of the last ones, that also posted on my some new additions topic:

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 11:50AM

My set is coming along after starting it a little more than 2 years ago. Very happy with my progress!!!

Picked up this 1743 1 Real Mexico raw recently:

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 9:10PM

I put the 1743 in acetone (4 hours on each side with new acetone) it took off the dark area bottom lower right pillar and some other dark areas as well (not the toning). I do not believe it was PVC but the acetone took off whatever it was nicely with no damage. I do this with every raw coin I receive it seems to help a lot for things like this or other ''crud''.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waited a long time for a 1733 numerically graded to show up almost 2 years. Glad I was able to win this solo graded by PCGS. NGC only has 2 higher in VF.

Two years isn't even close to a long time. :)

You're thinking in the context of collecting US or Canadian coinage.

I'm still waiting for a second chance to buy a coin I passed on eBay 22 years ago. Maybe sold privately since.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 12:29PM

@WCC said:

Waited a long time for a 1733 numerically graded to show up almost 2 years. Glad I was able to win this solo graded by PCGS. NGC only has 2 higher in VF.

Two years isn't even close to a long time. :)

You're thinking in the context of collecting US or Canadian coinage.

I'm still waiting for a second chance to buy a coin I passed on eBay 22 years ago. Maybe sold privately since.

I consider myself lucky anytime I add a coin. For me 2 years out of 4 years collecting Latin American coins seems like a long period you are correct but I know deep down now it is not.

• Options

Overpaid to say the least 😂

• Options

Amazing coin of a very rare date SimonW!!! Congrats!!!

• Options

SimonW you should post your other win as well 2 very rare coins in numerical grades. Coins to be proud of for sure!!!

• Options
    edited April 15, 2024 3:00PM

And this one:

Edit to add: This is the second 1R Pillar type that I have bought, the first one was some 10 years ago, do not remember the year but it was also from Mexico Mint, I paid $28 for it and was the first one I sent to be graded to Anacs, came up as AU58 and I sold it some months after for $250.

• Options

@ELuis said:
    And this one:

Very nice!!!

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my only, but my most recent. This completes the 1909-1920 date range. The 1911 is NGC but I don't know if I care enough about it not being in PCGS plastic to send it in.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

SimonW you should post your other win as well 2 very rare coins in numerical grades. Coins to be proud of for sure!!!

This is the other one:

• Options

@SimonW said:

This is the other one:

Rarity 3 great addition!!!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

Sorry that was me, but on the flip side you were the winner of a nice coin.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 5:29PM

^ These do not show up too often, so not bad, one can pay that amount for a non-graded/slabbed coin at least this is graded.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 3:40PM

@JohnnyCache said:

@SimonW said:

Sorry that was me, but on the flip side you were the winner of a nice coin.

I actually wondered if it might have been you. There were only a handful of people I could think of that would have given me that kind of fight. A fair fight, for sure, I would have given up the next bid. It was getting hairy 😂

Let’s be honest though, $500 (with juice) is a pittance to pay for how infrequently these pillar coins come up for sale. Seeing what you have with the Bolivia 4R that’s certainly true, and they’re a little more common, if we consider them by date (granted, 4R coins are more sexy, so there’s that.)

This one is hard to find, from what I’ve seen is the second best one out there, certainly more can be found, but they’re tough. PCGS has two graded, this and an MS62. NGC has none.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 5:28PM

@SimonW said:

I actually wondered if it might have been you. There were only a handful of people I could think of that would have given me that kind of fight. A fair fight, for sure, I would have given up the next bid. It was getting hairy 😂

It's a coin worth fighting for. Glad one of us here got it.

Let’s be honest though, $500 (with juice) is a pittance to pay for how infrequently these pillar coins come up for sale. Seeing what you have with the Bolivia 4R that’s certainly true, and they’re a little more common, if we consider them by date (granted, 4R coins are more sexy, so there’s that.)

The joy of owning these coins, which can often be so tough to find, is sometimes worth spending a little extra.

This one is hard to find, from what I’ve seen is the second best one out there, certainly more can be found, but they’re tough. PCGS has two graded, this and an MS62. NGC has none.

For sure, it's very plausible that we may never get a chance at that MS62 going forward, so the coin you just won could very well be the only shot anyone gets at owning a straight graded example for a long time.

• Options

@JohnnyCache

Agreed on all counts. I know where the MS62 is. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Options

@PillarDollar @SimonW

May I ask, from where do you guys get the info for the: Very Rare Date or any other one that could help more between one coin versus another one. On my net searches I can find some info about rare or scarce, but not always for these types of coins. Asking mostly for coins that are for sale and not cheap in any sense. For example, is the 1/2R 1755 Lima common?

Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 18, 2024 2:16PM

@ELuis said:
    @PillarDollar @SimonW

May I ask, from where do you guys get the info for the: Very Rare Date or any other one that could help more between one coin versus another one. On my net searches I can find some info about rare or scarce, but not always for these types of coins. Asking mostly for coins that are for sale and not cheap in any sense. For example, is the 1/2R 1755 Lima common?

Thanks!

I base myself on Brad Yonaka's book and rarity scale. I am sure more exist of most coins he has listed but I stick by what he has found out during his research when quoting a rarity level.

They have some for sale over at World Numismatics LLC 95$ US. I have had my copy for years now it is a great reference. Covers: Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Guatemala mints for early milled pillars.

• Options

I base myself on Brad Yonaka's book and rarity scale. I am sure more exist of most coins he has listed but I stick by what he has found out during his research when quoting a rarity level.

They have some for sale over at World Numismatics LLC 95$ US. I have had my copy for years now it is a great reference. Covers: Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Guatemala mints for early milled pillars.

Thanks!