Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A small collection of Chilean Volcano Pesos

2»

Comments

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!
    Congratulations on another excellent addition to your collections of Latin American crowns.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 3:51PM

These coins truly are beautiful pieces of art!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭

I hope Senor Gandolfi is not too worried about his copyright on the article.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 1:02PM

Though he's actually Señor Torres (those silly Spanish naming customs confusing us)...

Good thread and info... iconic coins.

Will say the results of the Pesos in the HA Latin Amer. auction the other night underwhelmed me... perhaps I'm biased b/c I snagged a Y at 12 o'clock 1817 (VF slightly impaired) at a show a few years back.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/chile/chile-republic-volcano-peso-1817-santiago-au50-ngc-/a/3115-31133.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    edited May 14, 2024 2:16PM

My mistake on the name. Perhaps the author gave permission for his article to be posted here. If so, no problem. Otherwise, it seems like more than fair use to me.

I suspect this one is not clearcut. The Google translation of some of the legalese printed in the front of a 2016 copy of the magazine (I could not find a 2018 copy online) seems contradictory. It says:

"Total or partial reproduction of the magazine is authorized, and the source must be cited. The content of the articles is the exclusive responsibility of the authors, who may, in turn, have copyrights registered as intellectual property."

I guess it means the publisher does not care if you reproduce the magazine, but the authors may have copyright protection on the articles.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options

If ever you have that article in English I would for love to learn more on the subject. Wish I understood Spanish but no such luck.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 4:12PM

I have seen the UNAN magazines in the past, all are avail for download, on a quick search did not found any page related to copyright for downloading, etc. If one just open the site Translated to english (in my case using Google.

And maybe select the paragraph that want to translate and right-click and click Translate to English. tedious but can help.

My 2c.

• Options

@ELuis - As I said above, it is a little murky. From page 2 of UNAN Numismatica No. 21 (Portuguese version):

Autoriza-se a reprodução total ou parcial da revista e agradece-se
    a menção da fonte. O conteúdo dos artigos é de responsabilidade
    exclusiva dos autores, os quais podem ter direitos de autor
    registrados como propiedade intelectual

Rough Google English translation:

Total or partial reproduction of the magazine is authorized and thanks (sic)
    mention of the source. The content of the articles is the responsibility
    exclusive to the authors, who may have copyright
    registered as intellectual property

If UNAN has made it available online, I would assume they had permission and would have just linked to it, rather than reproduce it here. As somebody who writes numismatic works and has them published, I tend to be very careful of other author's copyrights and hope they treat mine the same.

• Options
    genossegenosse Posts: 46 ✭✭

@bosox said:
    I hope Senor Gandolfi is not too worried about his copyright on the article.

I named the author of this magazine article.
    And I did not use this article for commercial purposes.

P.S. It is sad that interesting and useful information becomes secret due to copyright.

Fac quod debes, fiat quod fiet

• Options

Does anyone have this book written by Carlos Torres Gandolfi?
    In this book, the author gave his vision of the origin of the coin design.
    I would like to know what the author writes about the origin of the Liberty Column symbol?
    This symbol is usually associated with the concept of the tree of liberty.
    I have a version that this column is connected with the Masonic symbol of the columns of the Temple of Solomon (Boaz and Jachin).
    Maybe you have your own versions of the origin of the symbols on this coin?

• Options
    edited May 15, 2024 3:37AM

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think understanding and respecting intellectual property rights is important.

Copyright does not make information secret. It just means you may need the copyright owner's permission to publish it. You may or may not have to pay the owner to receive that permission. I often find the safest and easiest thing to do is to link to a source that has permission to publish it online, rather than publish potentially copyrighted material online myself.

Fair use is somewhat of a moving target and therefore can be hard to interpret. Commercial or non-commercial use is only one of four factors. I really do not know how posting the above article would stack up when considering all four factors but posting the whole article with his pictures jumped out at me. It looks like someone's intellectual property to me. Here is what the U. S. Copyright Office says about fair use (other countries vary a bit):

About Fair Use

Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works in certain circumstances. Section 107 of the Copyright Act provides the statutory framework for determining whether something is a fair use and identifies certain types of uses—such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research—as examples of activities that may qualify as fair use. Section 107 calls for consideration of the following four factors in evaluating a question of fair use:

1. Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes: Courts look at how the party claiming fair use is using the copyrighted work, and are more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair. This does not mean, however, that all nonprofit education and noncommercial uses are fair and all commercial uses are not fair; instead, courts will balance the purpose and character of the use against the other factors below. Additionally, “transformative” uses are more likely to be considered fair. Transformative uses are those that add something new, with a further purpose or different character, and do not substitute for the original use of the work.

2. Nature of the copyrighted work: This factor analyzes the degree to which the work that was used relates to copyright’s purpose of encouraging creative expression. Thus, using a more creative or imaginative work (such as a novel, movie, or song) is less likely to support a claim of a fair use than using a factual work (such as a technical article or news item). In addition, use of an unpublished work is less likely to be considered fair.

3. Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole: Under this factor, courts look at both the quantity and quality of the copyrighted material that was used. If the use includes a large portion of the copyrighted work, fair use is less likely to be found; if the use employs only a small amount of copyrighted material, fair use is more likely. That said, some courts have found use of an entire work to be fair under certain circumstances. And in other contexts, using even a small amount of a copyrighted work was determined not to be fair because the selection was an important part—or the “heart”—of the work.

4. Effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work: Here, courts review whether, and to what extent, the unlicensed use harms the existing or future market for the copyright owner’s original work. In assessing this factor, courts consider whether the use is hurting the current market for the original work (for example, by displacing sales of the original) and/or whether the use could cause substantial harm if it were to become widespread.

In addition to the above, other factors may also be considered by a court in weighing a fair use question, depending upon the circumstances. Courts evaluate fair use claims on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome of any given case depends on a fact-specific inquiry. This means that there is no formula to ensure that a predetermined percentage or amount of a work—or specific number of words, lines, pages, copies—may be used without permission.

• Options

I ask the moderator to delete my posts with the article Carlos Torres Gandolfi.
    I apologize to everyone who was offended by this or who felt that I acted illegally.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2024 4:27AM

@genosse said:
    I apologize to everyone who was offended by this or who felt that I acted illegally.

Please don’t delete your comments.

• Options

And I am sorry to be a fly in the ointment. It is a very good article. The good news is that the readers of this thread now know the magazine title and edition # of where to find it.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bosox said:
    @ELuis - As I said above, it is a little murky. From page 2 of UNAN Numismatica No. 21 (Portuguese version):

Autoriza-se a reprodução total ou parcial da revista e agradece-se
    a menção da fonte. O conteúdo dos artigos é de responsabilidade
    exclusiva dos autores, os quais podem ter direitos de autor
    registrados como propiedade intelectual

Rough Google English translation:

Total or partial reproduction of the magazine is authorized and thanks (sic)
    mention of the source. The content of the articles is the responsibility
    exclusive to the authors, who may have copyright
    registered as intellectual property

If UNAN has made it available online, I would assume they had permission and would have just linked to it, rather than reproduce it here. As somebody who writes numismatic works and has them published, I tend to be very careful of other author's copyrights and hope they treat mine the same.

I agreed with you, I was able to find something that is related to a copyright as you mentioned.

That was the reason that I posted a small portion of data on the image and also it is cleared that comes from the UNAN.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@genosse said:

Please don’t delete your comments.

Agreed.

• Options

Friends, let's get back to discussing this very interesting coin.
    For me, the Chilean volcano peso has always been an example of simplicity and minimalism.
    However, a search for information showed that the visible symbolism of the coin is just the “tip of the iceberg”
    The column with a globe on top first appeared on the coat of arms of Chile, designed in 1812.

I did not find information about what meaning was put into this column in 1812.
    Most often they write that the column of liberty is a transformation of the image of the tree of liberty and symbolizes freedom.
    However, in other republics of Latin America, the image of the tree of liberty is an ordinary tree (for example, on coins of Bolivia or the Central American Republic).
    Therefore, I have a version that this column is connected with the Masonic symbol of the columns of the Temple of Solomon.

• Options

The star above the globe (Estrella de Chile) is defined in various sources as a symbol of Santiago (Saint James)

symbol of the planet Venus among the Araucanos and Mapuches Indians - Yephun-Oiehuen (Wüñülfe or Guñelve)

or the Kabbalistic/Masonic "Morning Star".

• Options

The smoking volcano is associated with the nature of Chile.
    The Andes mountains had already been used as a patriotic symbol, for example in the headline of the first national newspaper “Aurora Chile”.

Carlos Torres Gandolfi writes that the coin shows the Antuco volcano (looks like the photos ?).

Subsequently, they were replaced by more “aggressive” smoking volcanoes (as on the Republican seal of 1818).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information and insight @genosse .