Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NBA Playin and Playoff thread.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 9:59PM

Nice win by Dallas to move to round 2, where they will play OKC.

Kyrie Irving is, IMO, the shiftiest, slipperiest, smoothest, most explosive, lethal, quickest finesse ball handler/scorer in the NBA.

He is a magician on the court.

The two Western Conference semi finals should be fantastic.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

When he's all about basketball and not out trying to save the world or sharing every thought that passes through his head, he's so much fun to watch. You can tell that he & Luka really like playing together and that's great for Mavs fans.
    They're going to be a tough out in this next round even though OKC already beat them 3 out of 4 times this season.

I'm really looking forward to the Wolves-Nuggets matchup tonight.

• Options

Great G1 win by the Wolves. Give me 6 more games like this please.

• Options

That was a hard fought G7 win by Cleveland after being down 18 early, now they go to Boston for R2. We know Porzingis will be out for it while Jarrett Allen will be questionable after missing games 5-7 against the Magic. This Cavs/Celtics series should be a real good one.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Don't know how this hasn't ever happened before but Boston just became the first team in playoffs history to win three straight games scoring over 100pts while holding their opponent to under 90pts. You'd think that that would have happened numerous times back in the 90's but it hasn't.

I just read this.

I'm amazed that this has never happened before

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 7:54PM

Denver is done, and i don't mean just tonight. their season is over. the T-wolves are no joke

OKC is gonna make Dallas vanish and we're gonna have an epic Western Conference Finals on our hands

• Options

Defense wins championships. Minnesota has been #1 defensively this season and they have elevated their level of play to the point where Denver cannot compete.

It looks like Minnesota will sweep Denver.

The Knicks and Pacers series looks like it will be very close.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII, can you answer a question about the 2nd round seedings?

Maybe I'm used to how the NFL seeds, but it doesn't make sense. In the East 1st round the winning seeds were 1, 2, 4 and 6. Why does 1 play 4 - and - 2 play 6?? I would expect 1 vs. 6 - and - 2 vs. 4. Thanks for any explanation.

• Options

Maywood.

I just looked up the answer to your question.

It has to do with the playoff brackets and the fact that the NBA does not reseed teams after each round (like the NFL does).

In the 2024 Eastetn Conference playoffs there are two brackets.

In one there are Boston, Miami, Cleveland and Orlando. These teams are seeded 1, 8, 6 and 3.
    The winners of the first round are Boston and Cleveland. The play each other in round two since they are not reseeded and stay in their bracket.

In the other bracket New York and Indiana play round two.

If the NBA reseeded teams after each round Boston would play Indiana.

• Options

Denver has not looked good at all in these past two games while Minnesota is playing like a team on a mission. The officiating in that game was absolutely horrible but it wouldn't have changed the outcome. The Joker will need to work some magic to get out of this 0-2 hole.

That Knicks-Pacers game looked like a continuation of the previous NY-PHI series where both teams fought until the end. Josh Hart might be the most underrated player in the NBA right now and he just keeps coming up big with every playoff game he plays.

Boston finally gets back on the court tonight against the Cavs, its going to be interesting to see if Cavs center Jarrett Allen can play after missing three games with a rib injury.

Dallas-OKC also starts tonight, really looking forward to that series too.

• Options

😅🐜

• Options
    edited May 7, 2024 3:22PM

Hindsight is very painful.

The GSW brain trust that handled the 2021 draft needed a ................... Wise Man.............................. to prevent them from drafting James Wiseman at #2 (they were not given a chance to pass on drafting the Ant Man, since he went #1; but they could have had a ........................ Ball (not LaMelo) .......................... by drafting Tyrese Haliburton, or Tyrese Maxey at #2 instead of James Wiseman).

Bob Meyers is probably very pleased that he moved on from being the Warriors GM after the 2022-2023 Season.

• Options

The 80's Celtics and this Dubs team both had a chance to prolong their dynasty run with a 2nd overall pick in the draft and both failed miserably.
    Bird, McHale & Parish were nearing the end and the team drafted Len Bias,who was a freak athlete similar to Anthony Edwards and we know what happened there. If Larry didn't have to carry the team in his later years maybe he would lasted longer in the NBA.
    Had GS hit on that pick,just imagine what players like Ant, Haliburton or Maxey could have become developing with Curry,Klay & Green on the court. Even a healthy LaMelo might have kept them near the top of the standings with those other three taking secondary roles.

• Options

Rudy Gobert ties Ben Wallace & Dikembe Mutombo for the most times winning the Defensive Player of the Year award at 4.
    If Wemby stays healthy he may challenge that record at some point.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh God - I fear Boston is gonna massacre the Cavs.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Good opening statement by the C's!

@Steven59 said:
    Oh God - I fear Boston is gonna massacre the Cavs.

Cleveland is going to start hitting their shots at some point, maybe once they head home.

• Options

After watching the OKC v. Dallas game tonight I now want to see Minnesota play OKC in the Western Conference Finals. Both teams are young, deep and very talented.

Ant Man v. SGA, plus their supporting casts.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celtics looking good!

I'm shocked Denver is down 0-2

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 11:30AM

Jamal Murray is one lucky guy after not getting suspended for G3 after he tossed both a towel and a heating pack onto the court in the direction of a ref. He didn't even get tossed.
    Here's the clip below (I'm not sure that you can see the towel get tossed first but there's another angle that shows both items.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMjmU6G7kM

Murray was mad that he couldn't catch a break with the refs in G2 but he just caught an even bigger break from the league offices.
    In his defense, the refs really let players get away with alot on the court in that game. The Wolves defense was playing like the Legion of Boom. On one play McDaniels and Alexander-Walker were practically smacking Murray around while he was trapped out near the halfcourt/sideline corner. You could see why Nuggets players reached their boiling point.

The last incident like that, saw the player getting suspended but with Denver having gone down 0-2 at home to start that series, suspending Murray there would have likely been the end of their season, if they're not already heading that way now.
    Someone high up in the league just threw them a free Get Out Of Jail Free card, Jamal Murray should be grateful.

• Options

Well that was certainly a shocker in Boston last night - I had to look at the score 3 times before I believed it.

• Options

Boston losing game 2 at home is interesting. Though the Celtics have been very talented for a number of years, they seem to play inconsistently, resulting in a title eluding them in recent years. Logic dictates that the Celtics of 2023-2024, being the best team in the regular season, should easily advance to the Finals and likely win the crown. Reality however often dictates an illogical result/outcome.

I am very interested in seeing if Denver will show up for game three on the road with a Chip on its shoulder and a fire in the belly; or if Denver's mindset is that the series is already lost, so we just go through the motions.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2024 10:27AM

Boston's defense decided to take G2 off and no surprise that they lose another playoff game at home. The question now becomes do they bounce back like they did in R1 and win the next three? 🤷‍♂️

They're going to have bad shooting nights from three but when they don't put the effort in on defense it hurts their offense so much more because they create alot of their points by creating stops on D then scoring in transition. Also getting outrebounded just exacerbates their problems too.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few friends that are big NBA fans, sort of the way most of us here are about the NFL. I spoke with one guy after round one was finished and I told him I expected Boston to sweep the Cavs in four. His reply was that the Celtics were well rested after their opening round cruise and that the Cavs would be a good test for them. After that first game massacre I didn't have much hope but I texted him yesterday to admit he might be correct. Who knows what will happen, but maybe the series will go 6-7 games instead of what I figured would be a quick four.

• Options

Would the Cleveland Cavs of today welcome LBJ back for an Act 3 swan song?

Or would Cleveland say No, Thank You?

• Options

Can the Cavs keep it going or was that just a fluke last night? Should be very interesting tomorrow.

• Options

Denver showed up and blew out Minnesota tonight.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Denver showed up and blew out Minnesota tonight.

As Rudy T once said, don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion.

• Options

Big games tonight for OKC & Boston, don't want to go down 1-2 as the series favorites.

• Options

OKC - Dallas, and Cleveland - Boston are on ABC today.

• Options

I only watched the 4th quarter of the OKC-DAL game but it looked like Luka took an absolute beating. First he had had his feet go right out from under him where he landed directly on his back and a couple plays later took an elbow to the jaw, he'll be hurting more than normal over these next couple days. Kyrie had another crazy left handed floater in traffic with the clock running down. Huge win by the Mavs, they're looking real good right now.

• Options

That Mavs - Thunder game was one of the best I've watched in awhile - back and forth the whole game. Seems the refs let them play too which was a plus.

• Options

Too bad Jarrett Allen hasn't heard of Ronnie lott.

• Options

Cleveland getting killed at home.

• Options

Accept the inevitable - no way can the Cavs beat the Celts - with allen sitting on the bench with a sore Tu-Tu!

• Options

Good bounce back win, I'll take it! 👍

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I only watched the 4th quarter of the OKC-DAL game but it looked like Luka took an absolute beating. First he had had his feet go right out from under him where he landed directly on his back and a couple plays later took an elbow to the jaw, he'll be hurting more than normal over these next couple days. Kyrie had another crazy left handed floater in traffic with the clock running down. Huge win by the Mavs, they're looking real good right now.

Luka also had a rough first game. In the first quarter he landed face down banged his nose on the court and some tooth damage. He has taken many shots, but I am impressed with his fortitude.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@erikthredd said:

Luka also had a rough first game. In the first quarter he landed face down banged his nose on the court and some tooth damage. He has taken many shots, but I am impressed with his fortitude.

I believe it, he looks a bit doughy but he's a tough dude. I expect if Dallas and Minnesota both make it into the WCF Luke will then see alot of physical defense similar to what Jamal Murray is going thru right now.

• Options

The NBA just had their draft lottery and these were the results.
    1. Atlanta
    2. Washington
    3. Houston
    4. San Antonio
    5. Detroit
    6. Charlotte
    7. Portland
    8. Toronto (to San Antonio)
    9. Memphis
    10. Utah
    11. Chicago
    12. Houston (to Oklahoma City)
    13. Sacramento
    14. Golden State (to Portland)

Not a great year to land a generational type player but whoever goes #1 should help the Hawks. SA landing the 4th & 8th picks should give Wemby some help.

• Options

Western semis are now both tied 2-2, with no one winning at home.
    Very strange indeed.

• Options

Donovan Mitchell questionable for tonight with strained calf. I'm sure he will play but how will his performance be affected by it?

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 184 ✭✭

Celts could go all the way, but the will need their big guy back.

• Options

No word on his return as of yet.

• Options

Well, looks like Kevin Durant's honeymoon in Phoenix didn't last too long. Here's Stephen A describing Durant's happiness with the Suns.
    “Kevin Durant in Phoenix is a problem,” Smith said on Monday’s First Take. “It is a problem. We don’t see it 'cause the stats are there. Him and (Devin) Booker average 27 points a game and what have you, but they say Kevin Durant is never happy. They say he went more than a month without even talking to the head coach (Frank Vogel). They say he doesn’t look happy there. All he wants to do is play when the game starts and tip-off time arrives, but when it comes to ingratiating yourself with your teammates and getting along with everybody and stuff like that, he just lives in his own world.”

Phoenix has already mortgaged their future to put together this current roster for KD and just need to look at the Brooklyn Nets to see what their future looks like if KD asks out. He & Kyrie wanted Harden in Brooklyn so they traded for him and when that didn't pan out, Harden asked out and two years later the Nets still owe the Rockets two unprotected firsts, two picks swaps and at least one second round pick.

KD is nothing but a cancer at this point and any team trading for him deserves the inevitable headache that will surely happen down the road. I bet Durant sees Kyrie balling out down in Dallas and its killing him to watch.

• Options

If Durant had not chosen to leave GSW (he and GSW [likely the players and coaches?] did not mesh; as is evidenced by on the court conflict between K.D. and Draymond Green that was televised) and if instead they did mesh it would be likely that Durant and the Warriors would have 2 or 3 more rings (and Durant would have additional playoff MVP awards).

I tend to agree with the above.

Durant left OKC (after not getting to the Finals) for GSW (and getting to 3 Finals in a row, winning 2 of them), then left for Brooklyn (which turned out to be a disaster) and then left for Phoenix (which apparently also may be a disaster). It is too bad that Durant is unable to find a permanent home. He is an all time great, but he looks to be one who is unable or unwilling to enjoy what he has (instead looking for something better that does not materialize).

There has been talk on Bay Area sports radio about the Warriors working out a deal to bring Durant back to the Warriors. Some fans and talking heads would welcome this; others want no part of it (instead they want the O.G. Warrior players, including Curry traded so that the team can move on with a roster full of young players).

I do not think a Durant reunion with GSW would be a good thing, especially if Draymond Green remains on the team.

• Options

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 4:56PM

a team would be crazy to take Durant on and add him to a solid nucleus. the moment things don't go according to plan, he turns on them

dude is the poster child for toxicity and eventually he's going to be more trouble than he's worth (if it hasn't reached that point already)

• Options

Had he just stayed in GS and kept winning his reputation probably would have changed over time. 4-5 rings w/3-4 FMVPs would have been hard to argue against. Instead, he left to go be The Man and he's failed at accomplishing that for two different franchises since then.

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 6:56PM

Another good road win for the C's. I was worried about Cleveland's shooters carrying them to a win given more FG attempts without Mitchell but tonight wasn't the night. Loved seeing Tatum & Brown working together to create offense late in this game and Derrick White hit two huge FTs late after having an off night shooting. Gotta close them out on Wednesday night.

• Options

Boston (up 3-1), Denver (up 3-2) and New York (up 3-2) are poised to close out Cleveland, Minnesota and Indiana to move on to the conference finals.

Minnesota must be reeling, winning games 1 and 2 in Denver and now losing games 3, 4 and 5. Denver has showed much resilience in coming back from 0-2.

Tonight we have game 5 of OKC v. Dallas. That should be a good one. Luka looks beat down with numerous bumps, bruises and strains. OKC defended Luka and Kyrie very, very well in game 4.

Round two of the playoffs have been very entertaining. The conference finals should be even better.

• Options

Mitchell not playing for the Cavs tonight - "ICEBERG DEAD AHEAD!"