Options

Raw Sacagawea mule sells for $2,499!

Comments

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2024 6:39PM

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see where it says Sacagawea but the seller doesn't even post a picture of a Sacagawea and still sells it! 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is worth to try I believe. You can always return it if it is not genuine.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's made on a lathe - you can see the cut into the rim.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might be correct. It only showed one side of the coin not both sides.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember there was an ebay seller of these “copies” for around $20 each. Wish I would have bought a pile of them as they are probably valuable novelties at this point.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fool and his money...something something something. :D

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone got the drop on someone.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭

The buyer posted on one of the coin forums, forget which one. Other members convinced him it is fake and he was going to try to get his money back.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 1:20AM

@lcutler said:
    The buyer posted on one of the coin forums, forget which one. Other members convinced him it is fake and he was going to try to get his money back.

Good to know. He should be made whole if he paid with PayPal. The auction closed on April 26, so I'm glad he found out early.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to fathom someone spending that kind of money, without knowledge on the item, from someone with 0 feedback on ebay!

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 4:39AM

Here is a link to the buyer. Didn't seem too happy that it is an altered coin.
    It's beyond me how someone wold think that a coin that is nickel on one side and brass on the other
    would think it was genuine, even if they were inexperienced in coin collecting.
    https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/433489-what-have-i-done-is-this-a-mule-110-obverse-or-am-is-person_too_unaware_of_social_graces/

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 6:41AM

At least they posted and got feedback, which is a huge first step.

This also has a photo of the reverse which I cannot find in the auction listing:

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a very experienced poster over there said: "More money than knowledge. A baaaaaaaaad combination."

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sellers ID is a contraction of Sly v. Slick Willi! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the treatment of newbies over there is about the same as here, except that no one welcomed him to that forum. :D

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@lcutler said:

Good to know. He should be made whole if he paid with PayPal. The auction closed on April 26, so I'm glad he found out early.

If PP does make him whole what is the likelihood that they will get all or part of their $2499 back?

• Options

"Looks like the treatment of newbies over there is about the same as here, except that no one welcomed him to that forum""
    If you read the posts, you will see that member Sandon welcomed him.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reported it, might help the buyer. Perhaps if enough people report it. Ebay will hold funds until finalized.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Zoins said:

@lcutler said:

If PP does make him whole what is the likelihood that they will get all or part of their $2499 back?

Whole should mean all of their $2,499.

This is what PP says:

PayPal said:
    PayPal’s Buyer Protection program entitles you to reimbursement for the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping costs you paid, if any when you don’t receive your item from a seller, or when you receive an item, but the item isn’t what you ordered.

Ref: https://www.paypal.com/li/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security#:~:text=PayPal's Buyer Protection program entitles,isn't what you ordered.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an angle no one considered: The buyer and seller are the same person. The "buyer" is attempting to make a claim against ebay's buyer protection policy and pocket $2500.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    "Looks like the treatment of newbies over there is about the same as here, except that no one welcomed him to that forum""
    If you read the posts, you will see that member Sandon welcomed him.

Yes, you are correct. And that member then continued on to give some frank advice on various aspects of this fiasco. He'd fit right in here. :p

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 8:25AM

@Zoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Zoins said:

@lcutler said:

Whole should mean all of their $2,499.

This is what PP says:

PayPal said:
    PayPal’s Buyer Protection program entitles you to reimbursement for the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping costs you paid, if any when you don’t receive your item from a seller, or when you receive an item, but the item isn’t what you ordered.

Ref: https://www.paypal.com/li/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security#:~:text=PayPal's Buyer Protection program entitles,isn't what you ordered.

If you receive the item pictured then you've received the item ordered. Does that apply to items received, but are fake, counterfeit, not genuine or SNAD? If I was the seller, I'd be dang sure to ship the item. $4 shipping for a $2500 item seems crazy.

• Options

This is the the description from the seller, This is what the customer ordered, not what is in the picture.

"This is a 2000 Sacagawea quarter dollar mule coin that has not been graded. It was minted in Philadelphia and is a proof strike type. The coin has an error, which makes it unique. It is an uncirculated coin and was not certified."

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a seller lists an item as a rare item and names it and you do not receive said item, suchas uncirculated "mule" then the buyer should be able to successfully return it for full credit as an item "SNAD". JMO
    BTW, ebay has it's AI on duty. Within half hour of my reporting it as fabricated and no longer a coin, I received this(plus a thank you note first):
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    This is the the description from the seller, This is what the customer ordered, not what is in the picture.

"This is a 2000 Sacagawea quarter dollar mule coin that has not been graded. It was minted in Philadelphia and is a proof strike type. The coin has an error, which makes it unique. It is an uncirculated coin and was not certified."

I expect that PP might insist that the buyer return it before they just willingly cough up $2500. Hopefully we'll see if they make good.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is also the buyer is also a related account of the seller hoping to snag another bidder. If that is the case, will not pay.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 9:49AM

Here's another AI in action, ChatGPT!

You
    If there a dollar coin is hollowed out so that a quarter can be placed into it so that one side shows a face of the quarter and the other shows the face of the dollar, is this considered a "mule" coin?

ChatGPT
    No, the scenario you described would not result in a "mule" coin.

In numismatics, a "mule" coin refers to a coin that is struck using mismatched dies, resulting in a combination of designs on its obverse and reverse sides that were not intended to be paired together by the mint. Mule coins are usually the result of a production error at the mint.

In the scenario you described, where a dollar coin is hollowed out to accommodate a quarter and display its face on one side, while displaying the face of the dollar coin on the other side, it does not involve a minting error or a mismatched die combination. Instead, it is a deliberate modification made to the coin after it has been minted.

While the modified coin may have novelty value or artistic appeal, it would not be classified as a "mule" coin because it does not involve a production error or the use of mismatched dies during the minting process.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

The highest auction record for the Sac $1/ Quarter Mule was set by Great Collections. It realized $194,062.50.

https://minterrornews.com/news-12-11-23-famous-sacagawea-mule-dollar-coin-error-to-be-auctioned-by-greatcollections.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2024 9:59AM

@Byers said:
    The highest auction record for the Sac $1/ Quarter Mule was set by Great Collections. It realized $194,062.50.

https://minterrornews.com/news-12-11-23-famous-sacagawea-mule-dollar-coin-error-to-be-auctioned-by-greatcollections.html

Great article Mike! It's nice to have the Great Photo and slab shot, as well as background on this coin together!

Here are both sets of @PhilArnold's photos for a real coin to compare to the seller pics above.

• Options

The highest auction record for the 2001 D Cent/Dime Mule was set by Heritage Auctions. It realized $138k in 2006. They have sold four of them so far!

Here is the 4th one that realized $114k in Jan 2024.

https://minterrornews.com/news-12-5-23-heritage-auctions-is-offering-the-4th-known-2001-d-lincoln-cent-muled-with-a-roosevelt-dime-reverse.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2024 10:25AM

@Byers said:
    The highest auction record for the 2001 D Cent/Dime Mule was set by Heritage Auctions. It realized $138k in 2006. They have sold four of them so far!

Here is the 4th one that realized $114k in Jan 2024.

https://minterrornews.com/news-12-5-23-heritage-auctions-is-offering-the-4th-known-2001-d-lincoln-cent-muled-with-a-roosevelt-dime-reverse.html

That's a good article:+1:

I like the overall census article as well! :)

https://minterrornews.com/features-4-14-22-lincoln-dime-mule-census.html

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2024 10:36AM

As always, excellent research on all of your articles for Mint Error News…

And for sharing those articles on this forum.

Thanks John!

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 10:37AM

@Byers said:
    As always, excellent research on all of your articles for Mint Error News…

And for sharing those articles on this forum.

Thanks John!

Thanks for the opportunity Mike! It's great to research and write about and share these rare pieces!

Of course, it makes it easier to spot pieces like in the OP as well. Knowledge is Power!

Looks like it may be useful to have a census on these Sac mules!

• Options
    edited May 8, 2024 3:40AM

That can be removed from eBay for selling a raw coin over $2500.00 whether it is genuine or not.
    Can you post the ID number

• Options
    edited May 13, 2024 8:05PM

@Greenstang said:
    That can be removed from eBay for selling a raw coin over $2500.00 whether it is genuine or not.

Here's the ID number and eBay item URL for the $2,500 OP coin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355652703138

Here's the link and ID for the $14k coin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196383147596

The text information for the $2500 coin (item 355652703138) is as follows:

• Title: 2000 sacagawea quarter dollar mule coin not graded
    • Description: This is a 2000 Sacagawea quarter dollar mule coin that has not been graded. It was minted in Philadelphia and is a proof strike type. The coin has an error, which makes it unique. It is an uncirculated coin and was not certified.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:

Except for that the artificial stupid that fleaBay has reviewing reports tends to ignore it. I haven't yet found the magic words to use to get past that.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file