Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die Cracks are S*XY! 1846 Tall Date Seated Half

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typically target AU seated halves for my collection, but I will stray up or down the grading ladder if I find something compelling. This Tall Date half is only a R3 variety (WB-16), but I just can't get enough of the cracks seen intersecting the eagles head and elsewhere on the coin. I'm awaiting it's delivery, but am sharing the seller's pics now.

Post a coin that enthralls you due to die cracks!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks are nice but I really like the look of the obverse. That's a fairly tough date to find nice.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2024 6:20PM

@LJenkins11 said:

I like this template. Did you create it?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not create it. It is from "A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties" by Bill Bugert.

• Options

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a wild shattered reverse.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

CB, Dude, you are getting serious about this seated half thing, one of the best series ever, thanks for the info!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Larry. Fantastic examples of quality coins! Just wonderful!

And to all the others posted here, thanks for posting. So fun!

• Options

Sorry @Catbert, you can have your thread back now. 😉

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall this whole unit is pretty s*xy even without the die cracks.

• Options

Very remarkable!

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

A coin I used to own:

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Barberian said:
    A lot of die cracks on this 1843 WB-27, one of two cover coins (other is the 1847/6) for Bill Bugert's, A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Vol. 5, 1839-1852. While the early die state 1847/6 is a well-known rarity, the 1843 WB-27 is quite common and was chosen for the cover because of its extensive reverse die cracks.

Looks like Bill didn't see the die crack coming off the middle arrow running to the rim.

That die looks ready to fall apart!

That's what Bill Bugert wrote. It somehow stamped out a lot of coins though.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

This coin is the ugliest coin in my collection and thus I decided not to post the unremarkable and poorly struck obverse (1947-O, WB-22). However, the reverse is what got me excited and I think the seller's pic belongs in this thread to share with you:

• Options

Did someone say die cracks? I have to show this 1877 reverse in hopes someone recognizes this DM.

Has anyone encountered this die marriage with a large reverse die crack from (STATE)S through the Motto and down the right wing to the tip. The lettering, arrowheads, denomination, and olive leaves show an almost continuous fine die cracks on the reverse. The obverse shows fine die cracks from star1 - 13, including Liberty's head and cap.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited June 30, 2024 7:36AM

Here's a die break map for the obverse and reverse. So far, nobody has reported seeing this 1877, including several prominent dealers/numismatists who have published extensively on SLH die marriages. I still have a lot of inquiries to make.

Pretty sexy die crack. This one may be new to numismatics, i.e., Gobrecht Journal material.

• Options

Very likely a new die marriage, according to BB. He had nothing like it in his notes and urged me to write it up for the GJ. This should be fun to work on. A numismatic homework assignment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file