Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[Grade Request] 1886 P Morgan Dollar

AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Would love a grade estimate on this 1886 P Morgan Dollar!

I love its luster but I'm a novice at grading. An MS 64 goes for $100 while an MS 65 is $200. I'm hoping it would grade for 65 or higher to make it worth sending in. But I defer to the wisdom of the crowds.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see it getting 65. Looks 63/64 but it's tough from these pictures.

• Options
    MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭

Lighting is a bit harsh but I’d have to say 63 CAC or NGC 64 . But @DelawareDoons has me by 45 spots on the Mycollect leaderboard so there has to be something to be said about that lol!

But we’re both in agreement, it’s not a 5.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rev looks close to a 65, but the obv is a bit too busy so I'm also at 64.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the others... 64 at best on obverse. Reverse has a shot but don't see obv hitting gem. Lighting is a bit tough...

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be the pics where luster and surface quality is not clear to me; based on what I see, average Unc..

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a pair of die scratches on the Reverse between the n of (In) and the upper right wing or a die gouge? Don't recognize it as a VAM. Nice 64 and better photos might insure at least that grade.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that it would be maxed out at MS-63. There are a lot of marks on the cheek. The reverse is better, but that doesn't count in the grading scheme. The reverse on many coins is often better,

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

MS 63 at best.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 8:24PM

If I owned that Morgan there is no way I would consider sending it in for grading. It's a nice choice Mint State piece better off left raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file