Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How is your 2024 coin budget going?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2024 1:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nearing May and I have spent I would say 90% of my coin budget already so will be slowing down unless a few coins I need show up from a rarer series I collect then will use the remaining 10%. How is 2024 been for you? I consider myself lucky have added some coins I never thought I would land since it has been years in waiting. Even if I do not find any other coins I have to say 2024 has been good to me.

I am not rich by any means but feel grateful for the coins I have been able to add to my 2 mains sets.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

SHOT!

• Options

@Catbert said:
    It is rivaling 2023 for me in terms of pace. Need to slow down, but I keep seeing coins that are compelling!

I know the feeling (it sucks) but at some point I have to just fall inline with my finances and I am almost there.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kaput 😵

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wiped out! LOL

I have some bullion I could dump at an OK profit if something comes along I can't live without, but as far as cash out of pocket goes it's over. I don't feature a very big coin budget.

mirabela
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overextended with no signs of slowing.

Will just have to work overtime; I guess...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sold more than purchased and am net positive cash flow YTD. Plan to sell a few more non-core items this year.

Trying to build some dry powder for Chicago ANA and the fall.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spent less ( so far ) this year than the same time the last 3 years. Problem is, my sets are to the point that even a 1/2 point upgrade to a single coin is most likely a four figure coin. Like others have said, I'm not rich. Shoulda/coulda retired at 65 three years ago. If I wanna buy coins, I gotta keep working.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

To other crap, unfortunately.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 2:57PM

Under budget slightly,

It is modest, but my bang per buck is in the black.

Very satisfied.

Fingers crossed on a couple cherry picks in the mail.

Trying to focus on what I already own, sending in submissions, and paring down the remainder.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Just sent off my property tax check and insurance due May 1. No coins for awhile.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t buy a new coin for over a year (not necessarily on purpose) and got 3 nice new ones at once in March. I don’t really know what that means, but the sandwich baggie that holds my coin money has about $25 in it right now (from over $1000 in Feb). I don’t exactly have a budget, but it’s not already squirreled away, it’s just whatever extra cash I have when a coin comes along or I have a chance to visit a shop or show.
    So for 2024 - I’m about spent and rebuilding the coffers.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭

No budget here so to speak but not sure I want to part with my money either. Seems like everything is overpriced and no wiggle room with the dealers at shows. We'll see what the CSNS brings. I would like to add to my Peace dollar set or maybe make an upgrade or two.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grocery store, utilities, and the gas station are getting most of mine.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I had quite a large budget for one large coin which I did not win at auction yesterday. So, for me, I have an enormous amount of dry powder ready for any newps.

Fresh out of forum jail and ready to party!

Do tell…

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@lermish said:
    I had quite a large budget for one large coin which I did not win at auction yesterday. So, for me, I have an enormous amount of dry powder ready for any newps.

Fresh out of forum jail and ready to party!

Do tell…

PM incoming, don't want to hijack the thread.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not bought a coin all year. But, the budget is about to go straight down the tubes. 1-2 coins will kill it right now. :'(

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    I have 14 Commemoratives in old holders that I have no use for. I am looking for 1 special LC to complete my core set. Those 14 are all sitting in a PCGS box ready to ship to GC when the right coin shows up. Other than that it's under $100 coins to scratch that itch.

Why wait? When the right coin shows up, the cash won't be available.

• Options

@privatecoin said:
    The grocery store, utilities, and the gas station are getting most of mine.

Agreed 2024 is my worst year in the last decade money wise everything has gone up in price. I would have had a great great year if that was not the case. But it is what it is and still had a great year. I could have enjoyed that extra 300$-400$ per month ahhhh well. At least I get a pay increase every year a small one but better than nothing.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

I'm going to hit the end of my budget pretty soon here.
    But, I get to live vicariously. A close buddy wants me to spend $50-60k on a few of the 12 Caesar coins in the Heritage auction next week. All real nice silver and the gold -- so I get to hold onto it for a while before he flies out to pick it up in a few months.
    Also, he's sending me all his current ungraded Caesars to send into NGC, although that may be more of a curse than the auction fun.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2024 10:23PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Outside of a neat estate deal me and 2 buddies handling…..

It’s pretty much well been on plan. Sales, roster needs, and what I can buy right influences it. Biz been doing great…..

In looking at the New York Prepper videos on utube not sure buying coins a great idea any way. Got guns n survival food? Of course if your in a targeted area that’s probably not a worry anyway.

I am in Canada in a good enough area. Guns here are not a thing here unless people hunt of course. The hardcore criminals have guns but the crime rate in my area is low. There are bad areas like any major city (even here in Canada) but they are isolated and have been there for decades for the most part. Stay away from such places and chances are you will be OK.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    It's gone for a while, thanks to this.
    I'll be back though and looking forward to getting back in the game.

I’ve got the same issue — but both motorcycles and bicycles 🤘🏻😎⭐️☮️

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could find the coins I like on eBay at a coin show I would be just fine. No explaining at home

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen little to add to my main $2.50 set since February. Presently I am accumulating in anticipation of some nice PCGS/CAC examples being offered in May.

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a liberty head $20 early on. Just need a Saint to finish gold set. Then i may be done collecting coins, honestly. Kinda sad.

• Options

@d9lowe said:
    I bought a liberty head $20 early on. Just need a Saint to finish gold set. Then i may be done collecting coins, honestly. Kinda sad.

Find another series true collectors are NEVER done. Even paper money is a great option.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 4:53PM

On sell side:

Fantastic - sales / bourse room traffic has been super. Awesome cash flow. So Cali market strong.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I'm actually under budget for the year. Ran into a few financial issues and unexpected expenses, but once I'm over them, and once I sell some gold which I bought between 2001 and 2004 I should be good to go again.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over budget already for this year. I guess that's why I'm still working, so I can play with coins. Lol

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭

Considering the number of Seated Coins that posted on Great Collections yesterday perhaps I should look into how much I can hawk my first born for. I see a budget problem in the very near future. James

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 7:41AM

I'm over budget at this moment. We are in May and I am spent as if we were in August. In 2019, it was my worst year as my years' budget was spent by the month of April.

So I guess I'm doing okay. It will be light spending over the next few months until I get back on track.

Donato

Edited for grammar.

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    It's gone for a while, thanks to this.
    I'll be back though and looking forward to getting back in the game.

Stay safe sparky! I had an 65 year old acquaintance who conducted bike safety classes on his harley. Recently, a student hit him sideways (unfamiliar with braking, I guess) and sent him flying, breaking several bones. Weeks later, after surgery, died of a blood clot in his brain. Very sad day for a wonderful person who brought a lot of positivity to others. Family devastated.

I'm not a biker, but it always seems that, excepting rowdies on their pocket rockets, it always someone other than the biker causing an accident.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file