Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some Thoughts on My Time as a YN, Plus A TON of Images

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

My time as a YN has recently come to an end, and with it comes many more opportunities both inside and outside the hobby.

I thought it may be a good idea to share my thoughts of what I've been able to experience as a YN, as it may be a little different than many members with how much the hobby has changed with the increase of technology even since I started collecting. I'll try to keep it to what I personally have experienced, and I'll try and avoid to generalize for all YNs. Please note - if it seems like I'm generalizing for all YNs, just know that that is my personal experience and may or may not be true for many YNs.

1) There are incredible people in this hobby.

I want to first thank my good friend and mentor in coins, @Eldorado9. Having a trusted advisor and someone who will talk coins with you can really make the hobby so much more enjoyable, and it can really make a difference. The forums have also changed my perspectives on a lot of things, but having like minded collectors around you who can provide knowledge and share coins just makes collecting fun. Having a great collection is one thing, being able to share it with those who can enjoy it is another thing entirely. A huge thanks to @winesteven @DeplorableDan @pursuitofliberty @Inspired70 @Floridafacelifter @MarkFeld @Catbert @Nic and many countless others who have given their time and patience to me and others. There are very few advanced collector YNs from what I've seen, but there are a few who are starting to work their way there. Granted, it takes a lot of time and luck to enter into a stage of collecting where you start to see some rarities, and photography was that lucky break for me.

2) Collectors are some of the most generous people I've met.

I get surprised time and time again how much collectors support each other. When I was drafting and writing an article that was later published in The Numismatist, @pursuitofliberty and I worked on probably around twenty drafts of it. The sacrifice and time spent on that was noticed and I still am so thankful to Todd for being willing to work with me and turn that article into a publishable work. I'm sure we've all seen how much @MarkFeld gives to the hobby as far as knowledge goes, and he is still a go to guy for a second opinion when I need one. He's more than happy to oblige most times. A thread like the Aspen benefit auction simply proves this point this week.

3) The opportunities for anyone in this hobby are incredible.

I've been able to see some INCREDIBLE coins. The thing that really opened doors for me was numismatic photography, and the coins I've seen and imaged are among the absolute best the hobby has to offer. For any YN who wants to see some great coins, get out there and go! The Bass Collection that used to reside at the ANA headquarters was amazing, but even without that being publicly available you can always meet someone who can show you some incredible coins. While I personally have not attended the ANA courses, I hear that they are fantastic for most YNs that attend. I wish there were more collector focused programs for YNs, but at this time they are not as well supported and funded as heavily dealer focused programs like Witter Coin U and Stack's Professional Numismatist Program. For me, a good mentor filled that void.

4) Technology is a game changer.

I think it's important to note that the amount of sheer knowledge that is out there. I can check most of what I know in a few seconds with the right search, and often do. I can view literally thousands of a certain coin type in seconds, and all of this makes it pretty easy to know what to look for. What I will say has been the biggest help is online auction house archives like what GC and Heritage have - they show coin sales back for decades, often with some pretty good images. It allows for one to see any coin in almost any grade, so long as you know where to look. It's for that reason that I no longer believe that the statement "you can't learn to grade from pictures" is no longer true. I will say that I learned to grade almost entirely from pictures, and confirmed those grades by viewing a few coins in hand. When I did the NGC grading competition, I was asked how I learned to grade, and when I said off of images I got a few looks of surprise, and perhaps shock. I know of a few others who have done something similar.

5) Trust your gut.

When it comes down to it, your opinion matters most. If you believe in a coin and you know with a goo degree of certainty and reason that it is what it is, trust yourself. Granted, don't go and trust yourself in a section of coins that you know nothing about, but for something that you might specialize in, definitely trust yourself over anything else, even the TPGs.

6) Enjoy it!

This is more than likely the most important point on this list. Numismatics is a hobby, and it's important to me to have a ton of fun with it. The people and coins I've met and seen are irreplaceable, and I am excited to see where the hobby takes me. I want to take a quick moment to talk about numismatic photography, as that was the thing that really opened doors for me. I started doing images for collectors to see some great coins without having to own them, and boy did it work. I've been able to photograph chunks of at least four world class collections, and with time I expect that number will only go up. It has been a dream come true.

Here are some of my favorite images. Ironically, my favorite is one of the simpler ones. The 1861 $2.5 New Reverse from the @Eldorado9 collection is my all time favorite shot, and I would say it's one of the less impressive coins in this bunch (all alone it is certainly a BEAST of a coin, but in this group, well... you get the idea. :lol:). I'll lead off with that shot. This is just a taste of what I've imaged in the last year and a half or so, and it's a LOT of images. However, each coin here is something that I would consider exceptional.

Enjoy!

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 309 ✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    My time as a YN has recently come to an end, and with it comes many more opportunities both inside and outside the hobby.

I thought it may be a good idea to share my thoughts.

I think you should write this for Coin World or the Numismatist without your favorite pictures. Instead put a picture of yourself doing something dealing with coins with your friends or mentors.

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

We're just as proud of you as a budding adult numismatist as we were when you were a YN. B)

Very excited to continue to read, learn, and see more from you @FlyingAl!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely images, @FlyingAl. Superb.

And a very nice write-up. We're lucky to have you.
    Lance.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very enjoyable read. I wish you the best of luck on the next leg of your journey.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex, you are a pleasure and an asset to the hobby. Since I have known you, you have always exhibited an infectious passion and determined pursuit. Your research has proven enlightening and solid, and your willingness to share and improve the hobby are wonderful. The ways you have developed your skills as a photographer are very impressive.

Since you mentioned my help in your article, I have to say I also have fond memories of helping you with the "Sailor Head". We did go back and forth a few (dozen? :D ) times, but I think it was good, for both of us. I especially liked your messages right before and as you knew for sure you were being published. I could feel your sense of pride and accomplishment, as well as your excitement. That really was a pretty big deal!

It's good to see you grow and remain with us here. I know many of us will be cheering you on as the next chapter unfolds! :)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Alex, you are a pleasure and an asset to the hobby. Since I have known you, you have always exhibited an infectious passion and determined pursuit. Your research has proven enlightening and solid, and your willingness to share and improve the hobby are wonderful. The ways you have developed your skills as a photographer are very impressive.

Since you mentioned my help in your article, I have to say I also have fond memories of helping you with the "Sailor Head". We did go back and forth a few (dozen? :D ) times, but I think it was good, for both of us. I especially liked your messages right before and as you knew for sure you were being published. I could feel your sense of pride and accomplishment, as well as your excitement. That really was a pretty big deal!

It's good to see you grow and remain with us here. I know many of us will be cheering you on as the next chapter unfolds! :)

Much thanks Todd! It was one fun experience, and it really has helped me a lot in my writings for school and college applications. I learned a lot from that hands on experience.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! Congratulations on your discoveries and accomplishments so far. It looks like you've built a very impressive suite of hard and soft skills on top of a deep well of knowledge while cultivating a great network of people, and you've had a great time doing it -- not sure what else you or anybody could hope for. May it always serve you well.

mirabela
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a pleasure to share this forum with you.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex, you have been a great presence on this forum and in this hobby. Your passion for learning and improving is contagious. I’m glad I was able to get your high quality shots of my WLH Proof set, they are a highlight of my collection.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post!!!

Drunner

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Role model for young and old alike.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

Great post, you are an asset to the coin world, having a mentor and someone to talk to about the hobby was huge for me, unfortunately he passed away a few months ago, but the people here including yourself have filled his shoes. The kindness and generosity of CU members is unmatched I recently completed a circulated set of National Park Quarters with the help of @JWP, his generosity is something I will never forget. I hope more young people of your caliber take interest in collecting I am currently helping the young kid at the local convenience store build a collection giving him some coins and the little knowledge I have. Always enjoy your photos

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

👏 👏

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl (Alex), it's been a real pleasure to follow your numismatic experiences and immense growth. Your enthusiasm and dedication serve as a great example for both YN's and seasoned numismatists. And I'm honored to have been able to help in whatever way I did. Luckily for you, that didn't include coin imaging. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2024 10:16AM

Alex. I have enjoyed interacting with you in forum posts and by PM. I have also enjoyed watching you participate in the hobby.

Your hobby efforts have shown your deep interest in numismatics; have been personally rewarding; and have planted seeds that will sprout, grow and provide you with great benefit in the future.

More than anything else your hobby experiences have resulted in connections/interactions with a large number of dealers and collectors (some at the top of the hobby) that will be long lasting. These connections/interactions, as they take place, provide one with an opportunity to develop and put into practice skills (responsiveness, promptness, accuracy, clarity, negotiation, assessing situations, assessing others, decision making, following through, keeping your promises, etc.) that will serve you well in the future both in the hobby and outside of the hobby.

Best of luck to you as you move from high school to the Air Force Academy next fall. When you attend a fall football game at Falcon Stadium take a few photos and post them to a new forum thread (possibly including you and the Air Force Falcon that flies over the stadium).

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 12:18PM

Those are some nice coins! I especially love that 42 Wheatie....

Good luck in the Academy from an old AF guy.

imageimage

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post.

You have a bright future ahead of you.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful pictures, thanks!

Vplite99
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gratitude is a beautiful thing to share here. Congrats on your accomplishments so far. The journey continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really enjoyed scrolling through those images.

Bravo!

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatically speaking, I love your approach to everything. I enjoy your posts, and reading about your specialties in 36-42 proofs and coin photography. Thanks for sharing what you know.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex,

Great post!!!

You have such great insight for a young man; well beyond your years. You have a great future ahead of you, and no matter what you do I'm sure you will be very successful.

It's been a privilege to know you. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post, keep up the good work!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

FA,
    great post> I had no idea you were a YN.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post! Fab pics!

You are no longer a YN. You are a Lifer!

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos! I think I may have owned at least one coin in there at some point.

Keep going!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file