Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The “SBA Thread”. Give it some Luv!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh these things never got Luv, cashiers hated them, the portrait was ugly, they got mistaken for quarters. They’re common, no Keys… no roll searching. Functionally obsolete today. Turns out though, they were the Hero that saved the day when they were rushed back into production after nearly two decades to fill government needs. So Show Suzy

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question is, is the SBA more or less maligned than the 20 cent piece was in its day?

Here’s the only one I own:

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2024 3:32PM

There are a few minor proof varieties that are “keys”, interestingly the 1999 proof was struck in Philadelphia, with a P mintmark

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of my sovereign set pieces.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 3:58PM

Not that I wanted it. She made me fill a hole in my 7070. A face only a mother could love. 😉

@ambro51- Don't forget the 79-P wide rim.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 4:58PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    The question is, is the SBA more or less maligned than the 20 cent piece was in its day?

My biggest memory of the SBA in the day was trying to buy a 50 cent item and being told I needed another one. I had to tell the cashier I needed change!

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    We just picked up this one not too long ago…

Wondercoin

Ah, so that’s where that coin went! I liked that one but I have another toned 79-D. Here is my favorite:

• Options

For what many consider to be an ugly coin, there are some beauties there!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

David3142. Your coin makes Susan look like Ms. Universe!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979-P SBA$1 WIDE RIM MS66

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 327 ✭✭✭✭

I always Loved these as a kid, my mom would get them from the post office, I would babysit for a bank teller 1 Saturday a month, and she paid me in SBA rolls. And as a kid, it was a very easy set to complete. Today I have a few complete sets including a fully toned set. I almost have my registry set of proofs complete too.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭

1980-S MS67, 1 graded higher

• Options
    edited April 28, 2024 12:52PM

Beautiful!. We tend to fixate on the portrait side…..but study the reverse, the beautiful rendition of the eagle. As a stand alone design (with all due respect to the Ike reverse) it’s IMHO one of the finest on a US coin.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Beautiful!. We tend to fixate on the portrait side…..but study the reverse, the beautiful rendition of the eagle.

Agree @ambro51!

Here's my coin with the same reverse :)

• Options
    edited April 28, 2024 12:56PM

It’s Too Bad that the SBA is the Only “Silver Dollar” never struck in Silver. Sad, they would have been a delight, a great pocket piece!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

My Granddaughter portrayed Susan B Anthony in a Class at School, I placed one SBA in a 2x2 and gave one to each classmate and Teacher, I indicated that it was a One Dollar coin and "not" a Quarter. so many were amassed they never saw one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file