Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened here?

This wheat penny is smashed and it’s formed like a turtle shell, with concave on the reverse, what happened?.

Answers

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged by someone or something after being minted.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage, there are an infinite number of ways coins become damaged after they leave the mint.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Somebody beat it with something. A wrench, a hammer, idk.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

It’s a beat up penny.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin was minted in 1946. Lived a rough life, and may have been hammered, more than once. Had it's image posted on the internet.

;)

You asked

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

But he wear's that earring so naturally.
    Think he has a pair like a spare ? I wonder if that's how "An earring on a male's right ear means..................?
    Who cares....Save it me laddey.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭

My dad used to "custom fit" cents to work in the fuse box. Who knows? James

• Options

Ok, so for everyone…how do you tell the difference from that and something pressed during the process? I have an Indian Head that looks like it was damaged during the mint. I’ll show pic

• Options

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:
    Ok, so for everyone…how do you tell the difference from that and something pressed during the process? I have an Indian Head that looks like it was damaged during the mint. I’ll show pic

Start reading books and web resources on the minting process and Mint errors and studying certified error coins to learn what they look like. Stop looking at random coins - no one learns about errors by looking at random coins. No need to photograph or post any more of these.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read this book.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:

From studying the minting process and learning what can and cannot happen when a coin is minted, that and seeing the many thousands of damaged coins (like the two you have posted) over many years.

If you really think we are wrong or are trying to mislead you then I suggest that you should submit your two coins to PCGS as mint errors. It will be a colossal waste of your money but if you need proof you will have it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:

Also just damage

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

They make pre-torn and pre-stained jeans. I see no reason why that can't be a production car...or coin.

• Options

@coinbuf, when did I mention I thought you were wrong or misleading me?

• Options

It feels like some people are here just to try and make weak attempts at getting a laugh or put people down for some reason. I’ll let you buf your coins in peace. To the others who truly tried to help thanks I appreciate it.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:
    It feels like some people are here just to try and make weak attempts at getting a laugh or put people down for some reason. I’ll let you buf your coins in peace. To the others who truly tried to help thanks I appreciate it.

I am definitely here to make weak attempts at getting a laugh. I've got proof if you don't believe me.

• Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:

In the vast majority of threads like these, the OP is extremely stubborn and refuses to acknowledge that their coin isn't as extremely valuable as they think it is. They just come here to stir the pot, not to get any real answers. That explains coinbuf's "if you really think we are wrong or trying to mislead you" comment. Many members here are fed up with that kind of posting, and rightfully so. However, I didn't see anyone here make any joke at your expense, or try to put you down.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kadillak said:
    Ok, so for everyone…how do you tell the difference from that and something pressed during the process?

Making a coin is a relatively simple process: a coin blank is placed between two pieces of hard metal, and squeezed so that the design from the pieces of hard metal (the dies) is transferred onto the coin. The process is highly automated these days, but it's still basically the same principle that was used to make the first coins back when coins were invented 2500 years ago.

Being a simple process, there are only a small number of ways this process can go wrong and cause a mint error. Each of these ways has a quite distinctive appearance.

However, once a coin leaves the mint, it is in the hands of humans - and humans are marvellously creative when it comes to different possible ways of mutilating a coin, for all sorts of reasons or even for no reason at all. It often isn't possible to explain exactly how a specific pattern of post-mint damage has occurred, since we weren't there to watch it happen. All we know is that it doesn't match any of the known patterns of actual mint errors.

So it can be safely assumed that if the coin does not look like one of those small number of possible mint errors, then it is not a mint error and is therefore post-mint damage.

If some people seem to be poking fun, or are rude or snippy about your post, that's because we get dozens of people a week posting coins-that-aren't-errors on the forum. A lot of these people have been told by Facebook or YouTube that they've got million-dollar rarities and don't like being told that their coin isn't really an error. Some of these people know perfectly well that their "errors" are fake, but are trying to fool people into paying big bucks to buy them and so argue incessantly (sometimes using multiple alt accounts) that their errors are real. For people that actually like and collect errors and varieties, it can all get a bit too much sometimes.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file