Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver prices have sure risen, 'eh?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

get a calibrating weight

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe how it hasn't been taken down yet.

'Could this time be different?'

How many times have we heard this, only to be disappointed.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    derryb selling here? what ? has the world turned upside down, or is this a "sell it for my price" joke?

I once tried having the buyer dictate the price but that didn't work out very well.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once tried having the buyer dictate the price but that didn't work out very well.

I’ve had the same experience with a couple of “would be buyers”, wanting to dictate both pricing & terms after the fact. Fun!

There’s something called negotiation, but that isn’t it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@Estil said:

@mikee999 said:

:smile:

I wish I could play with that much honest money silver (as I like to call it)...think of how much fun it'd be seeing how many holes in albums you can fill in!

I bought one of the $500 face bags (avg AU) about 10 years ago and filled an entire album. I got the 32-D and S. I also got 2 MS67 mint set toned quarters which I sent in for grading (how I know they are MS67). Tons of varieties as well. I cherry picked enough out to nearly pay for the bag. I did buy the bag in the $13 range.

Do you mind telling me where you bought this? I would be interested in finding somewhere that doesn't sort for good dates before selling.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@Estil said:

@mikee999 said:

I wish I could play with that much honest money silver (as I like to call it)...think of how much fun it'd be seeing how many holes in albums you can fill in!

I bought one of the $500 face bags (avg AU) about 10 years ago and filled an entire album. I got the 32-D and S. I also got 2 MS67 mint set toned quarters which I sent in for grading (how I know they are MS67). Tons of varieties as well. I cherry picked enough out to nearly pay for the bag. I did buy the bag in the $13 range.

Do you mind telling me where you bought this? I would be interested in finding somewhere that doesn't sort for good dates before selling.

APMEX

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@Estil said:

@mikee999 said:

APMEX

That’s nice to know that a big trader is fair and doesn’t sort them.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 12:50PM

@CRHer700 said:

APMEX

That’s nice to know that a big trader is fair and doesn’t sort them.

My theory is that they can't because of volume but the source can but does not, because of volume. I think these are all coinstar or bank deposits that get sorted out by companies like Brinks. I know a guy that owned Oregon armoured; he was the fed distribution for coins for Oregon/SW Washington. He would count and roll brand new coins straight from mint ballistic bags but also loose change from coinstar and banks. He had special machines that would sort out the silver coins for quarters and dimes. I suspect guys like this then just sell the bags by weight. How else could you get mint set toned coins? Grandpas mint sets were raided, same with the 32-D and S. If you ever see the operation you would know why they don't go through the bags - they deal in forklifts of coins not bags. BTW he had the most awesome error coin collection in just a couple of large coffee cans.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

There goes that gutter metal again :D
    How can anyone expect to make a nickel in gains.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

Bi Hi, sell low. #Nimrods RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 4:01AM

@blitzdude said:

@rte592 said:

A definition of "nimrod" from Dictionary.com :
    Slang. a foolish or inept person; doofus .

You continue to insult silver buyers and collectors of scarcer forms of silver bullion.
    What do you expect to gain from doing that ?
    Do you really think anyone is going to adopt your limited view of the market ?
    You spend a lot of time on this collecting forum, but you never seem to learn anything about collecting.

Some USVI 1-oz silver ingots (not this type but rarer ones) have sold in the past for about $1,500.
    But you are apparently too ignorant to know about that sort of thing.

PS:
    I had no part in the auction and I have never bought or sold a USVI item that I can remember.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

You continue to insult silver buyers and collectors of scarcer forms of silver bullion.

Good question.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@rte592 said:

You spend a lot of time on this collecting forum, but you never seem to learn anything about collecting.

Some USVI 1-oz silver ingots (not this type but rarer ones) have sold in the past for about $1,500.

PS:
    I had no part in the auction and I have never bought or sold a USVI item that I can remember.

The only one with a motive here is perhaps you, trying to peddle your fantasy trinkets? No motive here just an opinion. I stack bullion. Specifically precious metal bullion. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 6:24PM

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@rte592 said:

PS:

The only one with a motive here is perhaps you, trying to peddle your fantasy trinkets? No motive here just an opinion. I stack bullion. Specifically precious metal bullion. R

Your posts indicate that your opinion is worth far less than "gutter" metal.

PS:
    Show a post where I attempted to advertise or "peddle" anything.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@rte592 said:

PS:

The only one with a motive here is perhaps you, trying to peddle your fantasy trinkets? No motive here just an opinion. I stack bullion. Specifically precious metal bullion. R

Your posts indicate that your opinion is worth far less than "gutter" metal.

PS:
    Show a post where I attempted to advertise or "peddle" anything.

OK, I'll stick my nose in this one...just this once.
    I do get blitz's point, people do spend more than spot for vintage ( guilty )

Now if you scroll up top it clearly reads dcarr Posts and if you Google dcarr your search leads you where? Not to him selling anything.
    I have a Small number of his pieces...Top notch works and I'd like to get more.
    That would be where the signature line comes in and maybe just maybe what blitz is referring to.

Carry on

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your signature may contain multiple small images and/or links but must be limited to a single line. If you would like additional advertising space on this site please contact our Advertising Department.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Can we please stick to the topic and stop flinging snarky pot shots at each other?

Thanks