Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We've All Heard Of The 1909-S-VDB Since We Were Kids

2»

Comments

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 4:28PM

My first SVDB was in a legit slab with a straight grade. After owning for a couple of years I learned that the piece was counterfeit. Working with the dealer who sold it to me, I traded it for an authentic slabbed one in the same grade as the counterfeit was given. SVDB's in circulated grades had gone up 50% in value during those 2-1/2 years I owned the counterfeit, thinking all that time it was authentic. If it wasn't for what I read and saw in pictures in Bert Harsche's publication, Detecting Altered Coins, I would probably still own a very rare item, a slabbed counterfeit 1909-S V.D.B.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronsanderson said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Shamika said:
    No doubt TPG pop reports are inflated due to many crack outs and resubmissions. Thus the actual number of S-VDBs in slabs is probably much lower than 41,000

Wait a minute, let me understand this. So you're saying people have broken out S-VDB's from slabs. That would be the last thing I would ever do. Unless I was a grader and I was a 100% sure the coin would come back higher. But even if people were doing that, the numbers of graded coin would increase not decrease.

EDIT: I re-read your post. I think you're right. I misunderstood your post.

I am one of those people. I have my Lincolns in an Intercept Shield album. Since it was authenticated when I bought it, I have no worries that it would grade again if I needed it to be. And since it only graded MS63, I have no doubt that it would grade that or higher, if I needed to grade it.

I consider myself an end consumer, and grading and slabbing are no more than the packaging the coin arrives in.

ONLY 63?!?! 👍 🤣

I'm pretty much with you. I've broken out many coins over the years. Mostly to complete albums and my 7070. Ones I wouldn't consider breaking out; S-VDB, 16-D, 3 Leg Buff, 55DDO, etc..

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not expect the total surviving to be anywhere close to the mintage.

Some of the estimates others gave above sound about right. I would guess the highest max still existng would be 20 percent so estimates somewhere between 50,000 to 100,000 sound about right to me.

The question of where did they go is a good one.

Where have all the common ones also gone such as the 1909 with a mintage of 72 million and 1910 at 146 million as just 2 early examples.

They can't have all been lost in the ground or subject to mass meltings like silver (or were they). Seems like less than 20 pecent of those two examples would be left bouncing around in numismatic circles.

So where have all the other missing billions of old cents gone whatever the date?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@mr1931S said:
    My first SVDB was in a legit slab with a straight grade. After owning for a couple of years I learned that the piece was counterfeit. Working with the dealer who sold it to me, I traded it for an authentic slabbed one in the same grade as the counterfeit was given. SVDB's in circulated grades had gone up 50% in value during those 2-1/2 years I owned the counterfeit, thinking all that time it was authentic. If it wasn't for what I read and saw in pictures in Bert Harsche's publication, Detecting Counterfeit Coins, I would probably still own a very rare item, a slabbed counterfeit 1909-S V.D.B.

Great!.... So now I have to double check mine. :/

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@mr1931S - I think I made this one as a kid from a 44-D! 🤣

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file