Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this coin cleaned? -1856 type 3 gold dollar.

When I saw this I immediately thought cleaned, but again I’m not an expert on gold. What do you guys think?

And IkesT, please don’t reveal the eBay listing, I might be interested in this. ;)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Comments

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not opposed to looking past some issues with my gold but I agree with DD, I'd pass unless it's REAL cheap. I don't see much, if any, of the original luster on that one based on the picture. I bet a little patience will bring you a better example for not much more money.

Good luck on your decision.

Mark

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks wrong to me. I’ve seen enough type 3s that something looks off but I can’t pinpoint it exactly. Could be the photography. In any case it isn’t AU. Not close. I would pass.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like above, I just don't like the look. It could be the picture but I would pass and look for a better example.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

The look is enough to say pass, but those two very deep and heavy rim cuts on the rev scream stay away. Could be a buy at less than melt, but I doubt that is the case on ebay.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not buy one raw. Many been cleaned.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everybody, I guess my suspicions were right. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Is that nose grease applied with a thumb all over the thing........hard pass

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

It looks like it is made out of bress!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I avoid coins with different color or luster on / around the devices than in the fields unless you're looking at an old BN copper with traces of RD in the protected areas.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if those 2 marks on the upper reverse rim are from the coin being in some kind of jewelry mount 🤔

Mr_Spud

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:
    It looks like it is made out of bress!

+1

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't buy raw $1 gold. They were heavily counterfeited during the 1970s and 1980s.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

NOT cleaned. But not nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file