Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin that turned out to be "smart money"...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of an add-on to the other thread about spending significantly more that list price but still liking the coin nonetheless... post a coin that you "reached for" in the moment but has gone up significantly in value since. I could have posted virtually any gold coin I own, heck... even the ones I bought just a month or so ago... but I'm thinking more numismatic value. It turns out, I did fairly well on these two.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I have been offered quite a bit more than I paid for this on a few occasions. Spoiler alert, I still own it. ;)

65RB?

• Options

@coinbuf, great looking 64 RB. Looks better.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, those Bust Halves did jump up considerably in recent years!
    What I have that turned out to be a great investment was a modern Washington Quarter!

The 2020 Rockefeller Westpoint Quarter!
    I found in bank rolls. Sent it in to PCGS. Came back a ms 67.
    Valued at $1000, at the time.
    Sold it for $850 at Chicago's past ANA Show.
    ;)

Had a fellow trade me ten of them for $100 worth of different dated Mercury dimes at $2.50 each in trade.
    Submitted to PCGS and sold nearly all of them MS 64-MS66+ on eBay for a handsome profit, thanks to that added value of PCGS. Funny , years ago I did the same with the high and low leaf Wisconsin quarters, only I sold that Low Leaf MS 67 for $800. Then next day PCGS had it priced at $1250. Time flies. That coin is priced at $5500 today. I was happy to make $600.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a lot of coins worth double-ish what I paid, but a lot of them I've held 10 years or more; in contrast I bought MSFT in 2005 for I think $25-ish a share, so when I think of the real winning purchases I've made, coins don't really rank. It's nice that the hobby hasn't in general cost me money though.

mirabela
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    @coinbuf, great looking 64 RB. Looks better.

Thank you sir, your SVDB is also a handsome coin. I've been offered over 65 money for it a few times now, probably crazy for not selling it (my wife sure thinks so :p ) but I really think I would have a tough time finding a replacement that I like as much as I do this one.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought 1921 Peace Silver Dollar High Relief PCGS MS-65 in December 2007 for $2,850. PCGS price guide then was $2,600. Years later it stickered. Current CAC price guide $3,880. The only coin bought during that period of time where I've made money.

• Options

@winesteven said:
    Here are three of my coins upgraded with a “+” via Reconsideration. Off the top of my head my biggest “Winners”:

This first one I paid $11,414 as a 66. As a 66+, current PCGS Price Guide is $22,500:

Next is this Bust Quarter, bought as a 64 for $7,673. Despite the booger coming out of her nose, PCGS agreed with me it merited a plus. As a 64+, the PCGS price Guide is $16,000.

Finally, this SLQ was bought as a 66FH for $6,521. Now as a 66+FH, the PCGS Price Guide is $12,500.

Steve

Absolutely stunning gems Steve! You never disappoint.

Zack

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought about 15 years ago when I was building a complete set. Since CDN had it listed and priced separately, thought it should be part of my set, so bid on 1 on EBAY. Wasn't any heavy competition at the time. Per recent pricing, appreciated about 600% and that is even if it didn't upgrade. In an older NGC slab.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Bought about 15 years ago when I was building a complete set. Since CDN had it listed and priced separately, thought it should be part of my set, so bid on 1 on EBAY. Wasn't any heavy competition at the time. Per recent pricing, appreciated about 600% and that is even if it didn't upgrade. In an older NGC slab.

I don't collect silver dollars. So what is it?

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    NOT my coin, but I remember reading on this forum just a few months ago where @FlyingAl bought a 1921 Peace Dollar for a few hundred dollars or so, and it turned out to be one of the very few Proofs in existence. I seem to recall it graded somewhere around PF62 or so, and is worth somewhere around $25k!!!

For those that don’t know, he’s absolutely amazing:

1. A little under a year ago, I had him start photographing many of my coins (see the SLQ in my post two above this one). His detail is great, but more importantly, he has the knack to capture luster in a two-dimensional photo, yet still have the coin look just as it does in hand!
    2. His numismatic knowledge allows him to be a phenomenal cherrypicker, as noted in my comment at the top of this reply. While this Peace Dollar is his biggest prize, he’s had a ton of cherrypicks!
    3. Not only does he have the knowledge in #2, but his grading skills are TOP notch! This past January at Winter FUN, he came in #1 in the NGC Grading Contest of ALL entrants, including dealers! His score was one of the TOP scores NGC has ever seen!
    4. He’s had scholarly work published in “The Numismatist”, the monthly publication of the ANA.
    5. A year or two ago he noticed a lot in a major auction that I seem to recall he felt was misattributed. He notified the auction house, and while they were skeptical, they agreed to pull it from the auction. It was sent back to the TPG, and after MANY months of back and forth discussions with their experts, they finally agreed he was absolutely correct! Presumably the TPG paid the owner money via their “Guarantee”.
    6. He’s still in High School!!!!!

Steve
    FlyingAl Fan #1

Thanks Steve!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@coastaljerseyguy said:

I don't collect silver dollars. So what is it?

The 78 rev on the 79S - supposedly < 5,000 were made before the Mint stopped using some of these left over rusted 78 reverses. There are about half a dozen different Vams and not easy to find in MS grade.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 4:55PM

Hard to say with Latin American coins there are not many sales of the rarer material to be sure what current sales prices would be. And I have not been at it long enough to see major increases in value. I have only been at it for 2 years at what I currently collect but 4 years total in Latin American coinage made a change at year 2.

I would not sell any coins I own so it does not bother me either way. If any go up in value I would think the key dates I own and the higher grades as well would be the first to rise in value.

But 2 years is just not long enough to see any type of increases maybe in 10-15 years from now.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 6:34PM

I don't recall why I bought an PCGS XF45 1861-O ten years ago when I had a perfectly decent raw example in my Dansco except that I liked the look of the coin. Purchased on a whim as an investment, it has more than tripled in value in 10 years. Too bad there is no Trueview for this coin. The purchase was just dumb luck, but there have been a lot of such opportunities within the SLH.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file