Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin that turned out to be "smart money"...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of rolls - One more "smart money" post. If this was a "Dumb Money" thread, I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome by now.

This ho-hum early die state 55/54, purchased as a 'filler' 55 normal date, led to further study and the discovery of a cherry grove. Pardon the dog hair.

The next two months yielded...

I now have enough 55/54 overdates for a roll, but I'd have to crack out coins I've had graded, and 4-5 more in misidentified TPG holders to do so.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

If it "turns out" to be "smart money" then it wasn't smart. It was lucky.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 7:40PM

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Bought about 15 years ago when I was building a complete set. Since CDN had it listed and priced separately, thought it should be part of my set, so bid on 1 on EBAY. Wasn't any heavy competition at the time. Per recent pricing, appreciated about 600% and that is even if it didn't upgrade. In an older NGC slab.

Hey,
    1879s Rev. of '78!
    Premium

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2024 6:09PM

@MapsOnFire said:
    If it "turns out" to be "smart money" then it wasn't smart. It was lucky.

How much of a contemplated purchase, or a purchase made on a strong "hunch," and "turns out" to perform well is due to luck?
    Can we at least call it "smart luck?"

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Well, you never really know until you actually sell them..

I’m now about 90% complete with the dispersal and sale of my collection. When we get closer to 100%, I’ll post my thoughts on what did well and which ones were turkeys. There are some conclusions that are pretty clear.

Looking forward to it!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    You wouldn’t believe me if I told you how much I paid for this coin when I was in college.

Good job not selling it while in school

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@jfriedm56 said:
    You wouldn’t believe me if I told you how much I paid for this coin when I was in college.

So a guy on my floor inherited this dollar from his grandfather and sold it to me for $200. At that time I wasn't even sure it was genuine but took a shot. 200 bucks was a lot of beer money back then when beers were quarter and 50 cent drafts! And that's when my father deposited $15 every 2 weeks in my account for essentials.(beer)

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had 2 of these in my hand back in 2019 (1920 MS 64+ CAC)
    Had no idea they were going to jump 20K or I would have bought them both.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought these 2 large cents (1796 Liberty Cap VF35 environmental damage and 1804 VF 30, also E.D., raw at a garage sale for $25 each). Sold them years later after cracking them out of PCI red holders. Wish I had kept them to be certified in PCGS details holder. Oh well!

• Options
    edited April 26, 2024 8:51AM

@jfriedm56 said:

@skier07 said:

@jfriedm56 said:

So a guy on my floor inherited this dollar from his grandfather and sold it to me for $200. At that time I wasn't even sure it was genuine but took a shot. 200 bucks was a lot of beer money back then when beers were quarter and 50 cent drafts! And that's when my father deposited $15 every 2 weeks in my account for essentials.(beer)

As I understand it, your father had you on a 15-30-beers-a-week beer diet, and you therefore had to go without beer for 26.7 weeks or half a year to buy this coin. Therefore, you sacrificed as many as 800 beers for this coin.

That's a very high price for that coin.

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 11:19AM

Pics truly don't do it justice. Both Seth Chandler and David McCarthy called this piece an absolute standout of a coin seeing it in hand. Eventually it will have to go in for a regrade to realize its maximum potential.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file