Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baby Aspen Benefit Auction

DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 19, 2024 5:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I got a call yesterday from @johnny010, which is not unusual considering that he and I frequently BS about coins and such when we dont feel like working. Unfortunately, his tone was a little more somber and he wasnt calling to talk coins. He had just got off ta call with fellow forum member @Relaxn (Jason). Jason had planned on buying a certain coin from Johnny for quite some time, and when Johnny brought it up in conversation, Jason regrettably informed him that he wouldn't be able to buy the coin anymore. Reason being, that all of Jason's non-essential income had been going to help support his baby niece, Aspen.

10 month old Aspen is currently in the hospital battling with liver cancer, and her parents, both EMT's, have been off from work for 3 weeks now while they wait by her bedside. Jason has been supporting his niece and his brother's family in their time of need as much as he can, but Johnny proposed that we might be able to organize some type of coin fundraiser to provide some additional relief. Jason has an online fundraiser that I will link if anyone would prefer to make a monetary donation, but we figured that perhaps some from the forum might have some slabbed coins that they wouldnt miss, and if there were a way to have a charity auction then the proceeds could all be donated to the cause.

Well, one email to @ianrussell and a plan started to take shape. Without hesitation, Ian graciously agreed to promote the "Baby Aspen Benefit Auction" on GC, which will basically be a featured collection where 100% of the proceeds (yes, including BP) go directly to Aspen's family to help offset their expenses during this difficult time. Donation coins can be mailed directly to the GC receiving address, with a simple note written underneath the line for the coin. Just write "All proceeds to Baby Aspen" in big letters and Ian's processing team will handle the rest. I will post a picture of an example form just in case, and if anyone has trouble downloading the consignment form feel free to pm me or Ian. The auction date is set for June 2, and all coins will need to be received by GC no later than May 10 (3 weeks from now).

Below is the link to the online fundraiser organized by @Relaxn, which provides additional details and context to the situation. Updates on Aspen's recovery will be posted regularly, and hopefully our efforts can give Aspen, her family, and Jason a little breathing room while they navigate this unfortunate obstacle. Jason reluctantly agreed to let us organize this, but Im sure that any and all support from his forum friends is appreciated more than words could express.

https://www.givesendgo.com/TeamASPENStrong

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gesture. And kudos to Ian and Great Collections.
    I have something nice in mind to send off.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2024 7:47PM

Great gesture Dan!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 7:50PM

Are raw coins OK? Can people send in world coins or is it just US coins? Will they put a grade themselves on raw coins I ask because I am no grading expert.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2024 9:46PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Are raw coins OK? Can people send in world coins or is it just US coins? Will they put a grade themselves on raw coins I ask because I am no grading expert.

That would be a question for @ianrussell. Under normal circumstances, yes ,raw US and world coins can be submitted, graded and auctioned. Graded world coins are good to go as is. In this case, I’m not sure what pcgs/ngc typical turnaround time is to get the coins back to GC if submitted for grading. Ian’s pretty responsive so I’m sure he can give an answer soon.

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great idea and collaboration to support something so important!

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome idea. And prayers for Aspen and her entire family!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins for Aspen have been shipped.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

How do you donate cash

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Conshyboy said:
    How do you donate cash

Link

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you MD

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic cause - thanks to the promoters - @johnny010 , @DeplorableDan , of course @ianrussell , and also @Relaxn (who worked hard to sell me a great coin for my unique IHC set). I encourage all readers to participate, at whatever level you can.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful idea, I'll have a Priority package ready for Monday.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2024 11:00AM

@DeplorableDan said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

That would be a question for @ianrussell. Under normal circumstances, yes ,raw US and world coins can be submitted, graded and auctioned. Graded world coins are good to go as is. In this case, I’m not sure what pcgs/ngc typical turnaround time is to get the coins back to GC if submitted for grading. Ian’s pretty responsive so I’m sure he can give an answer soon.

I will donate to the link you provided instead easier that way since I live in Canada. Thanks Dan.

• Options

Keep this topic near to the especially on a Saturday evening.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭

TeamAspen

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

❤️❤️❤️

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Chemo Treatment was delayed until today.

I appreciate all of you.

• Options

Thank you for sharing
    Love the photo

• Options

She’s beautiful. Keep fighting Aspen!

• Options

Two days of Doxirubicin... Dr. Loeb says he trying to "shock" the tumor as the response to Cisplatin was not as significant as expectes. Tumor is still 5.6 x 5.4 x 5 cm.
    She was in good spirits before this run of chemo. Ultrasound yesterday as well. Having trouble getting a good image on the left side.

#TeamAspen

She is a fighter! Keep battling kid

• Options

Thank you @Relaxn
    I’m assuming many others are sending in a coin or coins to help and not posting up.
    There are many I’d love to see a “shipped” post from….

We spend more time here talking about those that are gone than the ones that could use our help. Both are important.

Thank you for the private messages from those that donated.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2024 7:40PM

I hope you reach your goal financially in these hard times!!!

• Options

Friday bump.

Finally was able to break free and send some stuff off today

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

BUMP

• Options

For cash donations is there a time limit or can people donate even say in a month from now?

• Options

Donations can be made at any time. I will leave the Give Send Go up until baby Aspen is able to leave Cincinnati Childrens!

#TeamAspen

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 10:20PM

I made a cash donation which was a very easy process.
    So glad I was able to help. Your family will be in our prayers!

• Options

Meeting with the pulmonologist today. They have concern that her o2 sats are dropping below 90 at times of rest.

Next chemo treatment in 12 days and then imaging after that.
    Thank you for the prayers and support! I have sent this link, the acousha Collectibles video and the emails to my bub!

TeamASPEN

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did a cash donation was very easy. Will be a bidder at GC when the auction happens.

Your family is in my prayers

Willy

• Options

Ten days (10) left to mail in a coin.. any coin to help Baby Aspen.

Hopefully this thread speaks to you.

• Options

Not a lot of updates. We are in huge waiting games. She is having her blood drawn every other day. Last blood draw had here White Blood Cell low (Neutropenia) but not completely unexpected due to the massive chemo treatments she had last week.
    This kid is a fighter. It is amazing to see her giggle and laughing as she plays with her sister and know that she has a tumor in her that is the normal size of an infant liver. The doctors and staff at Cincinnati Childrens are amazing.
    We are waiting on the next chemo treatment, which will be the 9th. After that treatment she will be intubated and have another MRI 5 days later. We are praying for more reduction this time. The Surgeon was very specific in what he is wanting to see.
    Right now, No news is good news.

TEAMASPEN

• Options

Thank you for the update.

More people are sharing the story and supporting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file