Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1965 Kennedy half dollar question

Are there any known die markers for BS vs SMS strikes? I know that some of the DD varieties were only one or the other, just wondering if there was any other way to ID BS from die scratches, gouges and the like?

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a CAM or DCAM then that is a no brainer.
    Are the fields / device smooth mirrors or just good luster? How are the rims?
    On the reverse, how is the area where the shield meeting the tail feathers? Is it mushy? If mushy, lean towards business strikes.
    On the reverse, how is the banner with E PLURIBUS UNUM, again if mushy lean towards business strikes.

(Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-tell-the-different-from-sms-to-business-strike.283892/)

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't a single site used for the entire run. Even if there are markers, there will be multiple markers on multiple dies.

• Options
    RonaldDayRonaldDay Posts: 42 ✭✭

I'm waiting for them to return a coin I was certain was a BS, but they marked as SMS. This is the second time. I pulled the coin out of a BU roll of 1965s that came back SMS, so I was hoping there would be some known die combinations and I might be lucky enough to have an MS identifiable coin.

The 65s had two finishes a satin and the more traditional proof like finish. I've heard the grading companies don't like to slab well struck detailed coins as MS for fear of getting it wrong and being on the hook for a large liability it it were proven later the coin was SMS.

To my way of thinking they should break the 65 grades into distinct types for the different finishes which don't look anything alike.

• Options

@braddick said:
    If it is a CAM or DCAM then that is a no brainer.
    Are the fields / device smooth mirrors or just good luster? How are the rims?
    On the reverse, how is the area where the shield meeting the tail feathers? Is it mushy? If mushy, lean towards business strikes.
    On the reverse, how is the banner with E PLURIBUS UNUM, again if mushy lean towards business strikes.

(Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-tell-the-different-from-sms-to-business-strike.283892/)

Thanks I had read that, and other threads on this subject. Some of the double dies are MS specific, I'll start there, but that's a long shot. I've got a challenge in for another coin they marked as PL that was MS. Waiting to find out if they are calling it a mechanical error or a grading error.

• Options

There is absolutely no mirror in the background. this is a picture of another that was graded MS.

• Options

Looks pretty satiny to me :wink:

• Options

The other MS from my 56 SA coin

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2nd South Africa coin pic is dated 1953.
    Like the looks of all 3 coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same happened to me with a 1965 quarter from a BU roll. It may have been a roll of BUs, but it was a compilation, not a “first” roll.

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    The 2nd South Africa coin pic is dated 1953.
    Like the looks of all 3 coins.
    Wayne

The 53 graded MS the 56 graded PL. In hand there are no mirrors, or reflective fields of any kind. Total dispersion of light.

• Options

Just got my coins back pictures to follow. To my eyes it looks exactly like the half dollar MS I posted above. Of course I didn't opt for the photo service, won't make that mistake again.

• Options

• Options

From reading, I know that there were satin finish coins made before they started making the more proof like coins in 1965 that were the standard finish in the 66 and 67 sets. At the very least they should acknowledge the satin finish instead of just lumping them in with the rest of the SMS coins.

This coin is way closer to the MS coin above than the typical SMS strike.

• Options

Okay, I've verified this is an SMS from the reverse die, begs the question I just posted in another thread, Why not a designation? There are plenty of varieties that get designations that are WAY harder to see than these.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file